Who is the band/artist you first recall hearing as a child?

ILoveJimmyPage

Reaction score
Sounds like we had a similar musical growth with a little difference. I prefer the newer Aerosmith as well but it started with Pump for me but that makes sense considering the age difference. Aerosmith were my first favorite band and they continued to be until I discovered SP. As far as the country thing you saw that background already.

Past the Alabama years from my parents influence I continued the Country course because I spent a lot of years with my grandparents growing up and we would play cassettes on car rides. They would let me sneak in the occasional rock cassette but there was a lot of Country since they loved it and I didn't mind it. I liked John Micheal Montgomery, Garth Brooks, Shania Twain, Tim McGraw and my grandmother LOVED Alan Jackson (me not so much).

Country has never been my favorite genre overall but always part of my musical diet. Just keep the modern day crap about sexy tractors and love in Wal-Mart parking lots away from me! :heheh:

Good thinking Soot! It's always best not to turn your back on your music roots, even if they weren't the best choices to listen to. I've found that most songs I remember from childhood have a certain memory attached to them. Mom still listens to country and while out with her one day I realized there was no more hope for country music when I heard a gosh awful song on the radio called "Do You Want Fries With That?" :heheh: My favorite country artists were Diamond Rio, Martina McBride, John Michael Montgomery, Travis Tritt, Alan Jackson and especially Brooks n' Dunn. I also went through a silly pop phase from about ages 10-13, then I discovered my true love: Led Zeppelin! Wish I had discovered them sooner. But I grew up with some good 90's rock too that I still listen to all the time. I find it's best to keep an open mind when it comes to music. I think a true music fan embraces all forms like an art connoisseur would appreciate Michelangelo and Andy Warhol at the same time. :grinthumb

The genres I could never get into, however, were metal (I've tried... just doesn't work for me) and rap (not hip-hop but the gangsta, shoot up your mother and slap a biotch type). Not for me! :heheh:

Dreams

Reaction score
The earliest three songs that registered were also my first favorites:

- Do it again - Steely Dan
- Rikki Don't Lose That Number - Steely Dan
- Rhinestone Cowboy - Glen Campbell

Travelin' Man

Reaction score
A few more songs that I remember...

A Boy Named Sue - Cash
Big Girls Don't Cry - Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons
Jailhouse Rock - The King

Mr. Shadow

"Classic" Member
Reaction score

Bought The Jimi Hendrix Experience's "Greatest Hits" album at age ten and have been collecting ever since.

One of the most haunting songs from my distant past.

Shaz

Reaction score
My Dad is a big metal fan so I listened to that a fair bit when I was a tot. My Mum was more into The Beatles, and a lot of "classic rock" from the 70s - Led Zepp, Deep Purple and a heap of others.

runningshoes

Great White North
Reaction score
The First song I remember hearing is Ventura Highway by America. I wasn't that young. I was probably seven or eight. My parents were divorced and my mother wasn't much into music.

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Used to always listen to my Dads headphones with him as a little kid. I remember Paul Simon Graceland really well.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peeterparker

Staff online

Members online