What Songs/Bands First Got You Into Music?

MCFCTrick

Reaction score
Other than Benny Hill's Ernie, I had zero interest in music as a kid. My world was football (playing and supporting my hometown club, Manchester City ... dad took me to my first game when I was 8, and I have had a season ticket since 1983) nothing else mattered.

Then one Thursday evening, I was 13 and playing with my Subbuteo on the living room floor, while my younger sister had Top Of The Pops on, likely hoping her hero Donny Osmond would be on.
I suddenly heard an American style wailing police siren from the TV, it immediately caught my attention, and I went over to see what it was.

It was Sweet performing their single Blockbuster. It was a life changing moment for me. I was captivated by the sound and how they looked. The blonde bombshell singer, the ridiculous looking bass player who's twinkle in his eye and knowing smile showed he was really taking the ***. I loved the guitar sound and the pounding drums. Everything ... ''Did you see the suits and the platform boots?' indeed.

I bought it with that week's pocket money, and their following singles, Hellraiser and Ballroom Blitz, and through their B sides, I fell in love with Hard Rock before I even knew it had a name.

On seeing me (and my mate) had gotten into Sweet, swiftly followed by T.Rex. Mott The Hoople and a new band called Queen, our school music teacher, Mr Evans said here, have a listen to these, and handed us an armful of albums by Led Zeppelin, Deep Purple, Cream and Black Sabbath. (He was a young guy, long hair, denim suits and drove an MG sports car ... also was dating the English teacher we all drooled over ... what a hero he was to us) Again, a life changing moment.

Rock music took over my world. My first gig was Queen in 1974 (Manchester Palace Theatre) aged 14. The next was The Who at King's Hall, Belle Vue, M/cr. Tickets went on sale on a Friday morning, and me and mate couldn't go to queue for them as it was a school day ... but said teacher, Mr Evans, got our tickets for it while getting his and his girlfriend's. As said, what a hero. Cheers Mr Evans.

Last edited:

Slipn

Sub Sonic Soul Shaker
Reaction score
How far back can you recall being in front of a radio and hearing music for the first time.. That's me at 2 years old and have been listening to everything since I was born..TV was the other option.. I grew up with every band from the Beatles.. To Zeppelin.. to Tom Jones.. and Hendrix.. Foghat.. Paul Revere.. Eric Clapton.. Crosby, Stills and Nash.. Elvis.. Jerry Lee Lewis.. Tower Of Power.. Three Dog Night.. PINK FLOYD.. Black Sabbath.. Dylan.. Donovan.. Canned Heat..Santana.. The Smith's.. Bobby Joe Brown..Melanie..Emerson Lake and Palmer.. To top it off.. Cheech and Chong.. My ears have heard it all.. Let's just chalk it up to all the above post have covered what we all grew up listening too..

OldHippie

Resident Yooper
Reaction score
Went to a cousins house when I was 8 or 9. She was playing a stack of 45's on her phonograph. One song got me, From a Jack to a King by Ned Miller. I was hooked.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jester143

Members online

No members online now.