What is the name for this style of music?

pufballcat

Reaction score
Hello, this is my first post here.

I have a question about a style of bombastic rock music which seemed to briefly blossom in 1968 (which I'm too young to remember) but then fade away again quickly. It's the sort of sound that imo was best realised by Barry Ryan's Eloise, but was also explored by Cupid's Inspiration and others, maybe even with the likes of MacArthur Park.
My question is, does it have a name, how did it get popular and why did it disappear? I'm guessing that it was inspired by Phil Spector's wall of sound approach, and was replaced or absorbed by the earliest prog rock.

dr wu

Dr Prog
Reaction score
Hmm....well to me its pop with some pysch and lots of orchestration....not sure it ever had a genre of its own. There were many bands doing 'orchestrated pop' back in the late 60's. But could be called Baroque Pop.
Pretty Ballerina by Left Banke or Tuesday Afternoon by Moody BLues....etc

Nai Noswad

Reaction score
Odd these days to label it, symphonic pop back in the day... Good song though (Eloise) written by his twin Brother.
In many ways The Beatles set a trend by engaging string sections in their work - The Stones and The Beach Boys followed suit.

MickJagger

Reaction score
I dislike placing a band on a generic category.

I like most all rock bands in all decades. I have an extensive collection of vinyl and CD recordings. I also go back and forth on my favorites. It seems normal to me.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bringzip

Members online