What Songs/Bands First Got You Into Music?

Old Nick

Reaction score
As my first musical memories I suppose that my older brothers influenced a lot in the early 80s. The Police, Bee gees, Survivor, Van Halen, AC/DC, Rory Gallagher, Deep purple, Journey, Kiss...
But I think it was a tape where the Presence of Led Zeppelin was, especially "Achilles last stand" that struck me the most from the beginning.
I can say that it is my favorite album to date.

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
There's a good few acts I simply don't like and never have over the years- there's more chance finding treasure on Oak Island than me purchasing a Kiss album (sorry!)

:****: ( you’ve got to be kidding…even the smilies are sensored)

you know the Kiss Army is coming to get you!
personally, Gene Simmons makes me want to vomit. However, I use to chat with Paul Stanley on Twitter. He would show off his artwork. He’s actually a really down to earth guy.

Mannie

Reaction score
Linkin Park's Hybrid Theory was the first rock album I ever bought. My first introduction to rock music was The Beatles' song "She Love You" though.

Romulus

Reaction score
Gosh this will show up my age. When I was a small boy about 4/5 years old I remember my dad playing Bing Crosby's White Christmas on an old radio where one lifted the top lid to find a installed record player. The sound was warm and inviting (maybe a tube run radio?) Then next thing I remember was the Beatles hitting the scene with their hits which was at the time so revelutionary that I forgot all the other contemporary pop music at the time. Then I played the lodgers turntable (while he was out) and heard Painted it Black by Rolling Stones, I literally got goosebumps, never heard before such a melodic upbeat song (apart from Beatle hits). Then I got into T.Rex and sometimes use to hang outside Marc Bolan's office in Bond Street with his other fans. At slightly later time I heard glimpses of Rock'n'Roll from the 50's and 60's, this I liked very, very much. It was so upbeat and I loved the echo reverb sound of the vocalists (like Cliff Richards first hit) then Nazareth came along and my interest in Rock expanded. My love for Deep Purple came via the back door in that I bought my first Rainbow album, and when I heard Ritchie Blackmore play I felt I understood him musically, and later I researched Deep Purple and I am not surprised the BlackmoreNight play other style music because Ritchie always had that angle in him; it was just a natural progression. My Classical music all started with Wagner. When I heard Siegrfried's Funeral (Gottademerrung) that for me was work of a genius now I listen to Classical, Arabian, Indian and Greek music infact it would be simpler to say what I don't listen to...

RedSG

Reaction score
I'm pretty old! In the early 60s, my older sisters had LPs and 45s of early 60s artists, plus my neighbor's parents let their kids buy albums. I remember going to their house and hearing The Kinks, Dino, Desi & Billy, and other 60s groups. My sisters had Roy Orbison, Elvis, and Meet The Beatles as well as Johnny Tillotson, Dion, The Ventures, and they watched American Bandstand every week.
I'd have to say the early Beatles, Stones, The Who, Kinks, and old Johnny Cash and Ventures albums got me super interested in playing and listening and even devoting a good part of my life to music. I was an early Byrds fan and Mr. Tambourine Man was the first album I bought when it came out.

Nai Noswad

Reaction score
... From RedSG.... to a red SG-
This and Blackberry Way by The Move were absolutely the roots via radio for my love of music :
Thunderclap Newman - Something In The Air.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jester143

Members online

No members online now.