What Songs/Bands First Got You Into Music?

Khor1255

Reaction score
There may have already been a thread about this but the question is pretty self explanatory. In this thread we will discuss not only our earliest musical interests but the conditions around us that maybe nudged us in a particular music direction. Please include any non rock early or recent influences as these are as or perhaps more important to list than rock bands because any non rock you are into will certainly paint a clear picture of your tastes and background.

I'll start:

The earliest influence I can remember are heavy rock songs brought in as 45s (singles) by my older sister. My parents both loved music but the music they listened to didn't really reach me until I was passed my teen years and an amateur musician myself. I didn't really hate the Jonny Mathis or Elton John I heard and I distinctly remember being fascinated by my fathers blues and especially jazz records. I also adored classical from a very early age but it was so ubiquitous in those days I assumed everyone did.
But what really grabbed ahold of me right away the first time I heard it was Black Sabbath. I also really loved the record 18 by Alice Cooper and particularly the small organ part at the end of the tune. Also notable was Edgar Winter and a few others I really can't remember now but I do remember hogging the headphones so I could crank numerous records up to the volume I wanted to hear them (a volume that would have made my parents turn it down or off).

It was the very early 70s when I first became obsessed with music and I remember pop radio being played in the kitchen by my mom pretty much all day every day. My dad tolerated a lot of it and I later learned he was a Beatles and CCR fan as well as being into old people music like Mathis and Nat King Cole but he was less enthusiastic about pop radio with some notable exceptions.
I remember some tracks from those days including One by Three Dog Night, Lorili by Styx, Stronger Every Day by Chicago, a **** ton of Zeppelin but especially No Quarter and some 'weird ****' nobody really liked to play from Zep 3 - The Immigrant Song etc. And by the time the 70s were at a mid point I was into Zappa (kind of), Sweet, Crack the Sky, and my new obsession Kiss.
We must have heard Kiss when the Alive album was brand new or possibly earlier because I remember their new studio album being Dressed to Kill. Weirdly enough it was one of the priests from our church who introduced us to a lot of Kiss. I distinctly remember Hotter Than Hell because although I didn't completely understand the lyrics it was the darkest most gritty thing I had heard to that point (no really) and it hit me like a ton of osmium.
Through the mid 70s Kiss was #1 to me and it wasn't until Love Gun that my enthusiasm slowed down or was sidetracked by a new interest (actually several but one that would replace Kiss as my favorite band) Rush.

I remember that Edward Furlong movie where one of the kids says 'Kiss would never do a disco album'. I swear I wrote that line in the ether if not on actual paper.

When Dynasty came out I was done with new Kiss and in fact was so ****** off I stopped even listening to the older stuff for a few years.

Anyway, that was I guess part 1 of my musical journey. Feel free to relate yours.

Nai Noswad

Reaction score
Realistically I wasn't able to process music as a kid... in terms of 'really dig it'.
Oddly enough The Monkees show and Banana Splits TV did help. The radio was an aid too, The Move, Kinks and Simon & Garfunkel and bubblegum music opened the door... though to this day I cringe when hearing Simple Simon Says.

SanguineRemedy

Speed Demon
Reaction score
The first song that ever got me into music and started my journey into delving into deeper stuff and expanding my tastes was Foghat's Slow Ride. It's the formula of a great, straightforward rocker. Beyond that was being exposed to a lot of progressive rock through my dad (Atomic Rooster, Gentle Giant, Camel, Rush, etc.)

So a lot of hard rock, blues and prog in my early listening catalog. As I've gotten older, my tastes get heavier. Sorry for not making such a good story lol. Not much for me to really say.

recgord27

Walking down a dusty road
Reaction score
My earliest memory of songs that I loved - I was about 7 or 8 years old -

Later on the bands they played at the ice rink really ignited my passion for music. Uriah Heep's Look At Yourself, Deep purple Machine Head, Boston, Cat Stevens, etc.

Last edited:

Nai Noswad

Reaction score
^^^Great memory vids recgord.. much the same I have to say. Probably up til' about ten years ago... I knew the pop top 10 and most other charts... going back to '65 or' 66.
I remember The Overlanders covering Michelle and Blackberry Way in 1968, coming back from a hospital appointment with my Mom (she had a note and money "to buy gatefold Deep Purple - Deep Purple album") from my big Brother.

Saiyan Rocker

The Legendary Super Rocker
Reaction score
I have to say growing up I mainly listen to the music of my parent's generation. I learned to talk by listening to Lynyrd Skynyrd. One my first vacation we drove to and from with just 3 albums played on loop. It was "Forty Licks" The Rolling Stones. Best of Aerosmith and Skynyrd. Ironic is this year I will have seen both the Stones and Aerosmith. I also listened to a lot of Elton John. My grandmother played both Elton and Sting. I love them both. Everyone in my family loves Elton, if you don't you are not one of us :tongue:.

Now the music of my generation Backstreet Boys, Nysnc, and Brittney Spears. It funny now they play on the classic stations, and yes I listen and feel nostalgic :phones:. Even though I was too young to appreciate the rock then, I love it now, Nirvana. It pains me know that I can never see them in concert. I was 13 when I discovered Linkin Park. It was childhood dream to see them but alas I can't see them either. Kinda sad all the talent of my generation are gone. I'm hoping to see Green Day before I go.

Out of those I was able to branch out. Another thing that made me branch out was soundtracks.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jester143

Members online

No members online now.