What Rock Songs Should Have Been Radio Hits?

Aero

Reaction score
There were a few rock songs that were recorded that were definite radio material but for some reason were never pushed by the studio.

Maybe the song was a bit too long or the band was unknown at the time. Whatever the case, name the rock songs that were legitimate hits that should've been on the charts.

Barclay James Harvest - Rock and Roll Star

Last edited:

BikerDude

Dude
Reaction score
There were any number of bands that played small venues that most people never really knew.
Back when I was still clubing the Neighborhoods from Boston were great.

And we had a local band that went on to better things. Deservedly.

And of course the Replacements never really got their due.
Nor Paul Westerberg.
From Saturday Night featuring the guitarist from the above mentioned Neighborhoods who absolutely burns it up.

Last edited:

Big Ears

Music Lover
Reaction score
I always loved Brandy (You're a Fine Girl) by Looking Glass or Gonzalez, and was reminded of the song by watching Guardians of the Galaxy 2 last night. Looking Glass reached number one in the US, but only 51 in the UK. I don't think Gonzalez charted with Brandy, although they had a big hit with Haven't Stop Dancing Yet (which is pretty good). So, Brandy should have been a hit in the UK. Guardians of the Galaxy 2 is really good in my opinion - I like the grouchy racoon.

Old Dude

I do not suffer fools gladly.
Reaction score
There's this one, by Queen from Night at the Opera. Brian May expressed regret in an interview that it wasn't released as a single.

And this one from back in the 60's, when Vanilla Fudge's "You Keep Me Hangin' On" was a hit. For a while there, psychedelic versions of Motown songs were a thing.

Finally, from a great band that got minimal respect, this song. Though there are several others that I could have mentioned.

Generally speaking, the suits who run radio and decide what gets played and what doesn't are a bunch of musically illiterate assholes.

Aero

Reaction score
I always loved Brandy (You're a Fine Girl) by Looking Glass or Gonzalez, and was reminded of the song by watching Guardians of the Galaxy 2 last night. Looking Glass reached number one in the US, but only 51 in the UK. I don't think Gonzalez charted with Brandy, although they had a big hit with Haven't Stop Dancing Yet (which is pretty good). So, Brandy should have been a hit in the UK....

That's hard to believe as Brandy was indeed a legit hit that all rock fans should like. And it's not a song that's steeped in Americana...like John Mellencamp or Bruce Springsteen might sing that people in England or Ireland wouldn't be able to relate to because they're not from the US. It seems like a song that would carry over to other Western countries.

Plus, the whole "sailor at sea "thing is pertinent to the countries of the UK. So yeah...that is strange it didn't catch on over there.

Last edited:

Lynch

Here for the cookies and the tunes
Reaction score
Should of been a hit!
Vinnie Vincent co-wrote most of the stuff on Lick It Up, and really help save KISS at that time.
That entire album is fantastic. In my opinion, one of the weakest points was the title track, which I do like, but I like everything else on that album more. A Million to One is definitely one of my favorites.

As for Lick It Up, it's probably in my top 5 or 6 favorite KISS album and is definitely my favorite non-makeup era album.

Good choice here. :cheers2

Big Ears

Music Lover
Reaction score
That's hard to believe as Brandy was indeed a legit hit that all rock fans should like. And it's not a song that's steeped in Americana...like John Mellencamp or Bruce Springsteen might sing that people in England or Ireland wouldn't be able to relate to because they're not from the US. It seems like a song that would carry over to other Western countries.

Plus, the whole "sailor at sea "thing is pertinent to the countries of the UK. So yeah...that is strange it didn't catch on over there.

Don't forget we have never had rock radio, which I assume is taken for granted in the US. If my memory serves me correctly, Foreigner had two hit singles and Journey had one in the UK. Kansas had none. Yes only had one hit single here. Gary Wright's Dream Weaver stuff meant nothing here. We did have rock music programmes: early John Peel, Tommy Vance, and Alan Freeman (an Aussie ex-pat, who was brilliant), but these were glimmering lights in the darkness. There was also Radio Luxembourg 208 in continental Europe, so the broadcast quality was awful. The cliches about listening to the radio late at night under the sheets are absolutely true.

We had some rock music in the singles charts, from the late sixties to early seventies, like The Kinks, Curved Air, Alice Cooper, Hawkwind, Mott the Hoople, Roxy Music, Status Quo, Deep Purple, Golden Earring, Manfred Mann's Earth Band. Looking back, it is hard to believe we even had these. Our singles charts have always been dominated by the lowest common denominator. Currently, it is too awful to describe.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rascal_212

Members online