How important are rock critics?

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Back in the day there were several in Sounds, NME, Melody Maker and even Kerrang! that I would take note of their reviews. Mainly those I knew shared similar likes.

As the OP pointed out though, that was pre internet days, and I couldn't name you a single critic out there.
I Also struggle to name any critics. My old gray cells won’t retain important names, let alone try to remember useless names.
:heheh:

Nai Noswad

Reaction score
Reading these great past posts, kinda confirms to me how I miss sourcing hearing and purchasing music. I used to frequent 12 or so shops back in the day... and order import stuff - of all genres. Through that you struck up conversation and friendships.. and gained knowledge.
.... And I'm not a dinasour who will only accept things one way..... but with all these 'advancements'... It's your fingers and thumbs talking.... not yer' mouth!

MCFCTrick

Reaction score
Reading these great past posts, kinda confirms to me how I miss sourcing hearing and purchasing music. I used to frequent 12 or so shops back in the day... and order import stuff - of all genres. Through that you struck up conversation and friendships.. and gained knowledge.
.... And I'm not a dinasour who will only accept things one way..... but with all these 'advancements'... It's your fingers and thumbs talking.... not yer' mouth!

Oh for the old record shops uh? We were lucky to have so many in Manchester back in the day. (Yanks/Powercuts) was a favourite for Rock fans.) And often you would get to know the guys and girls selling stuff to you, and could get lots of advice and often a 'if you like that, have a listen to this' moments. Priceless.

I guess some of that occurs online in forums like this too though, so not totally lost, but the excitement of going into town on a Saturday to browse them is forever lost generally.

Old Nick

Reaction score
I had to sell or gave away my collection years ago before leaving...So I guess I'm lucky to revisit them from Youtube and some music sources. But I miss my LP records. And have sour and regretful feelings sometimes. I can't do anything about that but it's fine.
I think it's important to listen to music conosseurs and critics in order to earn knowledge and perspective,not focus only on my own music background.
There are great people with tons of music and experiences in this forum,and it's always something new,something old to check and enjoy. Rock n' Roll!!

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bringzip

Members online