"US rock scene has never recovered from grunge"- Rob Zombie

oscar gamble

Do The 45
Reaction score
As for punk almost universally lacking real talent the proof is in the putting.

You claim that you like punk rock. I assume that it takes some kind of talent to make music that you like. In the end, all that matters is if you like what you hear.

Lynch

Here for the cookies and the tunes
Reaction score
As for punk almost universally lacking real talent the proof is in the putting.
indeed it is. No real talent in punk, no doubt about it.

And I like both Grunge and Punk but I call it like I see it.
So, you like multiple genres that are almost universally lacking in real talent? Gotcha.

Even the cheesiest and weakest of all 'hair metal' bands and songs still has more musical talent than both G&P put together.

But as it's been pointed out many many times in this thread as well as numerous others, it's a matter of opinion, and my opinion (as well as yours) is no more or less valid than anyone else's. [FACT]

mrJim

Reaction score
As for punk almost universally lacking real talent the proof is in the putting. And I like both Grunge and Punk but I call it like I see it.
that's an opinion and in the opinion of others myopic.

But as it's been pointed out many many times in this thread as well as numerous others, it's a matter of opinion, and my opinion (as well as yours) is no more or less valid than anyone else's. [FACT]

is that fact or opinion ? :)

I take this kind debate a bit more light hearted than some. I thought my equation was kind of funny yet having a level of truth based on the definitions of all those Genre's and sub-Genre's.

Jim

Last edited:

Khor1255

Reaction score
You claim that you like punk rock. I assume that it takes some kind of talent to make music that you like. In the end, all that matters is if you like what you hear.
Yeah, some kind of talent. But comparatively, Punk and Garage Rock (really sort of the same thing) are on the low end of musical talent spectrum with things like Classical and some progressive rock being perhaps at the top.

Khor1255

Reaction score
indeed it is. No real talent in punk, no doubt about it.

So, you like multiple genres that are almost universally lacking in real talent? Gotcha.
Well, I also like rock more than classical even though I acknowledge the latter is almost always miles ahead in terms of musical talent.

Even the cheesiest and weakest of all 'hair metal' bands and songs still has more musical talent than both G&P put together.

That's a very relativistic way of looking at things. So, if in my opinion the Tower at Piza should have been built on a more stable foundation this is proven wrong by it being a tourist attraction?

Gotcha!

There is a such thing as musical competence and artistic originality and believe it or not there are wildly different levels of both.

Khor1255

Reaction score
that's an opinion and in the opinion of others myopic.

is that fact or opinion ? :)

I take this kind debate a bit more light hearted than some. I thought my equation was kind of funny yet having a level of truth based on the definitions of all those Genre's and sub-Genre's.

Jim
I'm glad you feel that way. At the end of the day the ONLY really important thing is what you get from the music you listen to. It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that swing.

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Khor in the end like said anything you or anyone else says is all OPINION.

Khor1255

Reaction score
Not really. There are varying levels of musical proficiency like there are varying levels of proficiency in any skill. I freely admit that some of my favorite music is not necessarily the highest in skill level. Heck, my favorite guitar player is Alex Lifeson but I'm not going to pretend he is the best ever. That title is likely someone not many people have heard too much of including myself.

Your favorite music is purely a matter of opinion. The music that displays he highest skill level is a measurable quantity.

I stopped being hung up on who was 'the best' when I was a teenager. You might want to try it sometime.

Khor1255

Reaction score
I'm still not getting it. A transition from what to what?

For the record, I've always found Grunge to be a ridiculous term much in the way Acid Rock was everything from Black Sabbath to Zappa and The Moody Blues. Some of the individual bands lumped into the genre weren't all that similar.

Saying The Screaming Trees are the same as Nirvana or Nirvana is the same as Soundgarden or The Pumpkins etc truly is worth a laugh.

I'm not really following the transition you are referring to.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HoustonBoy

Members online