dr wu

Dr Prog
Reaction score
Bands…plural. :)

Top of the list would be Dream Theater.
next Mastodon
3rd Symphony X
Also like Crimson Glory
I'm familiar with all except for Crimson Glory. I have the first 2 DT......have heard several by Mastodon and heard the 5th by Symphony x......btw they are all listed as prog metal on Prog Rock Archives

recgord27

Walking down a dusty road
Reaction score
Bands…plural. :)

Top of the list would be Dream Theater.
next Mastodon
3rd Symphony X
Also like Crimson Glory
Dream Theater are also my favourite prog metal band, especially the Mike Portnoy albums. Favourite album is Octovarium. I have bought everything of theirs that I can get my grubby mitts on. Only dud album is "The Astonishing".
Second would be Symphony X though there's not much available in my neck of the woods. Bass is always amazing.
Porcupine Tree next - more progressive than metal, but Steve has written some killer songs.
Other prog metal bands that I like would include Tool, Opeth and Mastadon.

Nai Noswad

Reaction score
Apart from buying it three times in two years(I kept using thumb tacks in all the posters and cards inside!)... Us And Them proves sheer talent of Richard Wright and the power one can achieve in an anti war song... Dick Parry on tenor sax, ties it all in.. he was a Cambridge buddy with Floyd since time (worked with Rory Gallagher and Paice Ashton and Lord etc.. )
The "short sharp shock" I remember was a phrase first coined by Tory MP Willie Whitelaw... basically describing harsh and Borstal youth correction facilities for troublesome kids(to which I was a guest for nine months!)... Then to hear it on this album... brought a smirk-if not a wry smile.
Extending the topic.. this
From D
ub Side Of The Moon.

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
@recgord27
Yessss! I love Porcupine Tree. I didn’t put them on my short list because I don’t consider them metal

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bringzip

Members online