"US rock scene has never recovered from grunge"- Rob Zombie

That 70s Guy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
blabbermouth.net

Rob Zombie has told TeamRock Radio that it would be impossible to stage a festival like U.K.'s Download in the U.S. because the American rock scene has never regained its momentum after the rise of the early '90s grunge movement, which symbolized the working-class spirit and focused on music over image. He said (hear audio below): "In the '90s, when the grunge rock thing hit, with NIRVANA and all that, everybody thought it was cool to be anti-rock star. But in a way they sort of anti-rock starred themselves right out the door, because the rap guys came in and they said, '**** it. We'll be the rock stars then, if you guys are going to wear flannel shirts and stare at your feet.' And in the U.S., truthfully, rock music has never recovered from that. A whole generation of kids thought, '**** this! Rock music is boring. Let's go listen to rap music.' And it's never recovered. I mean, over [in the U.K.] it's different. You could never throw a festival like [Download] in the U.S. and get this many people, with just rock music. Never."

Asked by On Tour Monthly in a November 2013 interview if it's worth it for him to constantly bring out lavish stage productions, Rob said: "Yes and no. For some bands, it's a hard line to follow. In one sense, you are generating huge sums of money while you're on the road. But here's the thing. Say a tour generates $4 million dollars, but it cost you $3,999,999 to stage it."

He added: "I can tell you that I put a lot of thought into my stage shows before taking them out on the road. The general public has absolutely no idea how much money is involved to actually take tours on the road. The more elaborate the production, the higher the cost."

Asked if that's his own fault, Rob said: "It is and it isn't. It's really the fault of the whole industry. When kids go to a big rock show, they expect a big rock show. If they go to see Jewel, they expect to see her with an acoustic guitar and a spotlight. If I did that, kids would scream, 'What they hell is this?'

"In a sense, you could say I created my own hell, but it's kind of the nature of this business. It's the same thing with a movie star who's known for action movies. You can't make a decent action movie unless you spend at least $150 to 200 million filming it.

"People come to expect certain things at my shows, and it those things are expensive to take on the road. If they are not there, the audience is going to be bummed and might not come back. I'm not complaining boo-hoo about the money. It's just the nature of it all. It's expensive to take out a tour with all the production involved. There are crews, buses, hotels and other considerations that go into these shows night after night. Hell, even rock videos started getting insane with the prices directors wanted to charge. It's hard to get them made for cheap anymore .They are extremely overpriced, and it's hard to make them nowadays, even harder to get them played. Unfortunately, you still need them into today's business world."

Read more at Rob Zombie Says U.S. Rock Scene Has Never Recovered From Rise Of Early '90s Grunge Movement - Blabbermouth.net

TheSound

An Englishman in New York
Reaction score
So, what exactly was/is 'Ozzfest'? .... Rob Zombie even played at a few of these himself, along with dozens of other rock bands (and by 'rock' what Zombie obviously really means is metal)

And Ozzfest btw came along AFTER Nirvana!!!

????????????

So is he saying there were lots of USA 'rock' festival before Nirvana came along, but then they all suddenly stopped after Nirvana? .... though I notice he couldn't/didn't name even one such festival.

And anyway, rap music is just as huge in the UK as it is in the USA, maybe even bigger in some areas like the inner cities, if Zombie had lived in the UK, he'd know that.

So basically, the USA has no rock fans or rock bands, so don't bother throwing a festival, because they're mostly over in the UK, because most people in the USA just play rap?

If he can sound so clueless and confused in one short interview, in fact just a couple of paragraphs, let's hope he never writes a book.

Last edited:

Lynch

Here for the cookies and the tunes
Reaction score
I don't think you can compare Ozzfest to something like Download, or even the old days of Monsters of Rock (UK version). There are still plenty of rock fests in the US scattered all over the country all summer long.

There are a couple that I wouldn't mind seeing, but at the same time, being in the same place as 100,000 other sweaty, stinky, dirty people doesn't do much for me. I couldn't care less about the giganto-fests

As for Rob's interview here,I wonder if he was hitting the peace pipe more than just a little bit on the day of the interview. It's like he has about 6 different thoughts going through his mind at once and all he got out was bits and pieces of each of those thoughts. Just a guess though.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
I think he summed up what happened in the US music scene very well, and he's right about staging a massive show and keeping your fans happy.

He should sign up with Arthur Fogel, easily the most successful promoter in the music business right now, his artists always make a lot of money.

mrJim

Reaction score
:dunno:

I would only say this, with regard to the comment below. there is no way what happened was that premeditated or thought out. Whatever happened happened due to pop culture, marketing and laziness.

"A whole generation of kids thought, '**** this! Rock music is boring. "

It happened because it was easy for it to happen it was marketed to them and it was the "in thing".

Jim

TheSound

An Englishman in New York
Reaction score
Yeah I admit that I have little idea if Ozzfest is anything like Download, as I've never been to either, but I simply assumed they are both open-air gigs played in a huge field/stadium with lots of heavy rock bands on the bill, but maybe I'm wrong. All I do know is that their existence and success/failure has nothing whatever to do with Nirvana, and rap music.... I don't dislike Rob Zombie at all, mainly because he makes really great horror movies (Devil's Rejects, Lords of Salem, and those Halloween remakes which I thought were good) so it actually doesn't bother me especially that I have no idea what he's talking about!!

But I agree Lynch about festivals, which look like a nightmare to me, though I went to quite a few as a kid with my father, including 3 Knebworths, with Zeppelin, Genesis, and the Stones headlining, which is something I am kind of proud of!!.... but that was over 30 years ago, these days I'm somebody whose whole day gets ruined if the liquid soap in the men's room has run out, and nobody has bothered to re-fill the paper hand-towel dispenser, so I probably should avoid places where there's 500 drunks in a queue waiting to use an open latrine. :uh:

Musikwala

Popmartian
Reaction score
Rob's comments are a bit strange to me. To me, grunge was still very much like old school rock. Just listen to Pearl Jam's Ten. That's arena rock right there! What about STP's Plush or Vasoline. Plenty of "rawwwk" in grunge. Grunge was anti-rock star?? :huh:

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
^^Can't say that all Grunge era bands were anti-rock star but the most popular band and their leader definitely were, everyone knows how insecure Kurt Cobain was about the superstardom he achieved and didn't want.

From what I know about the 90's it was a similar revolt like punk in the late 70's early 80's, to shake up the music business. Young people wanted their own brand of music to call their own.

But I absolutely agree with Rob about the Rappers taking the opening and running with it, and rock music has never quite been the same since.

Musikwala

Popmartian
Reaction score
But I absolutely agree with Rob about the Rappers taking the opening and running with it, and rock music has never quite been the same since.

Hmm it is kinda true but not really. Rap entered the mainstream sometime in the mid to late 80s. The late 80s/early 90s had a lot of rap in the mainstream like Run DMC, A Tribe Called Quest, Public Enemy, De La Soul, Beastie Boys and gangsta rap like Dr. Dre, Snoop Dogg, NWA and so on. But there was also plenty of rock at the time... Bon Jovi, Aerosmith, Guns n Roses, Def Leppard, Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, STP and on and on. I think music as a whole kinda got shitty towards the late 90s... especially after 1997/98 when there were too many boy bands around and too much of that newer version of hip hop and R&B. That stuff was nothing like the golden age of hip hop in the late 80s/early 90s when rock and rap/hip hop seemed to co-exist in peaceful harmony.

And by the way, rock music has merely gone underground again. There are still tons and tons of rock bands out there. But many of them are indie... not mainstream.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
^^Rap didn't really become the defacto music choice of a generation until the 90's where I live anyway, maybe it's different in other countries but the 90's spelled the almost complete doom of rock music the way it used to be.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
magicmoments

Staff online

Members online