I Love This Song: “Us and Them”

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score

Where to begin……..

If you have not listened to Dark Side of the Moon, you definitely have the address “under a rock, in the woods”. I won’t get into this epic album, but I am delving into one song, Us and Them.

I was fortunate enough to have an older brother who had Pink Floyd albums. I was exposed to the band before the age of 10. At around age 13, I asked my brother what his favorite music is. His reply was, “Progressive”. What the heck is that? Try explaining that to a 13 year old!

To make my story short, my brother handed me a couple albums (daring me to scratch them). Dark Side was one of those albums. I had heard him playing the album, but I never really listened to it until he asked me to listen to the whole thing. I liked it!

One song in particular stood out to me, Us and Them. I remember telling my brother it was creepy. But I liked it, for some odd reason.

Fast forward a few years, and I bought the album. Us and Them still stands out to me as my favorite from DSOTM. There is something about the sax, the piano, and the dreary desperation of the vocals that is comforting to listen to. The echoes of words, the lyrics, the flow of the song…it all fits to the insanity the song tries to convey about war and violence. Us and Them is the most emotional song I have ever heard. I just love it!

BTW, I still to this very day have trouble understanding exactly what progressive rock REALLY is.

All about Us and Them:

Do you like Us and Them? Tell me your thoughts & opinions……​

dr wu

Dr Prog
Reaction score
Great song and also one of my favorites from DSTM.......no one really agrees on what is and isnt prog rock. I belong to Prog Rock Archives for 10 years or so and there are at least 8 or 10 threads discussing the same issue. ;)

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
It’s good to know I am not alone in the quest for answers to “describe prog rock”. Thank gawd there isn’t 100 sub genres of prog…..like metal. And metalheads will come to blows over the genres. :box:

dr wu

Dr Prog
Reaction score
It’s good to know I am not alone in the quest for answers to “describe prog rock”. Thank gawd there isn’t 100 sub genres of prog…..like metal. And metalheads will come to blows over the genres. :box:
They have the music divided into 18 or 19 subcategories of prog as well as 'proto prog and prog related'.
BTW..two of the categories are prog metal and tech-extreme prog metal.

Hydrazoic Acid

Skeptic
Reaction score
Yeah, this song has absolutely special vibes. Meditative instrumental combined with dark lyrics. Eternal masterpiece.

P.S. But my personal favorite on DSOTM is "Time". :grinthumb

P.P.S. Thank you, Gale, it's very interesting style of topics - to describe your perception of some song. I'd also like to do something like this... :think:

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Yeah, this song has absolutely special vibes. Meditative instrumental combined with dark lyrics. Eternal masterpiece.

P.S. But my personal favorite on DSOTM is "Time". :grinthumb

P.P.S. Thank you, Gale, it's very interesting style of topics - to describe your perception of some song. I'd also like to do something like this... :think:
Do it! It’s fun to read what people have to say about songs. I have thought about doing “I hate this song” , too.

Hydrazoic Acid

Skeptic
Reaction score
I guess you're right. It should be interesting to share your opinion, why you love or hate this or that song... :cheers2

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
allmylife11