Rock's Most Overrated Songs

ILoveJimmyPage

Reaction score
Re: Rock's Most Overated Songs

I hear "1999", "When Doves Cry" and "Let's Go Crazy" ALL the time up here. Far from his best stuff and not that great any of them, highly overpraised. I love the Purple Rain album though. :)

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score

Mainstream radio will play the 'hits'. That doesn't make them the most highly acclaimed songs. But, some are. Which is why I said overplayed does not necessarily mean overrated.

This is why I tend to avoid a lot of radio here. A lot of radio stations here don't just play the hits, they over play those very same ones. I think there are a lot more they could be giving air time because it would give listeners more insight to a band.

I think overrated and overplayed can be considered one in the same IMO. Think about it, radio stations everywhere aren't going to play what everyone considers crummy songs. They're going to play the "best", or what they consider to be the best of one single artist/band, and those are the ones you'll hear the most. All of the songs on my list are both overrated and overplayed, but like I said I consider them to be the same thing.
I think it depends on the particular songs. There are some I would say are both over played and rated. I think what a bands 'gems' are should not be defined by what radio stations play. It comes down to a music fan wanting to go find the music themselves. It takes effort and good shopping around. :)

ILoveJimmyPage

Reaction score

I think the lines tend to get a little blurred with defining "overrated", like I stated in your underrated thread Riffy. For the most part though I tend to think of overrated songs as the one you hear the most, and the ones casual fans will hear and think "Dude, this is awesome!" and never really want to delve much further into that band's work. I can't tell you how many times I've asked someone what their favorite Led Zeppelin song is, to hear "Kashmir" or "Stairway to Heaven", and then ask them to name a few more and they can't, all because those are the only two they hear over and over again on the radio or in popular culture. :grinthumb

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score

True, I guess it does depend on your personal take on music too. :)
Whenever someone asks me what my favourite is I give replies they don't expect. With LZ I love Custard Pie the most. With Ac/dc I love What's Next To The Moon the most. Not the usual stuff.

Fever

Reaction score

Bob Segar- Even worse than Tom Petty imo. If this guy wasn't a rock star he'd probably be a truck driver, drinking beer and shooting pool on the weekends and not much else.

But he is a rock star :grinthumb and what's wrong with being a truck driver anyway.It's a living.

Plus you can drink beer,shoot pool and be a great songwriter(which Seger is).

Last edited:

Hydrazoic Acid

Skeptic
Reaction score

For begin - "Every Rose Has Its Thorn" by Poison. I don't argue, it's a nice one, but in no case, it's no superhit power-ballad (how many fans are positioning it).

PJC

Reaction score
Once of Wigan (UK)...now Peoria Heights Illinois

I knew it was a risque post...but as much as we all love music...there are irritations ..and I do believe that some times the over playing of some classics detracts from new music....

so to add to the list

Van Halen-Hot for Teacher~pppffffttt is all I can say

Sammy Hagar-"I Can't Drive 55"~arrrrrrrgggghh!!

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hannibal37

Staff online

Members online