Rock's Most Overrated Songs

R. Evans

Left Of Center
Reaction score
Re: Rock's Most Overated Songs

The original thread starter should define what "overrated" means. Does it mean a song the critics love but you can't stand? Or does it mean that because it's overplayed, it therefore is overrated? There's a bunch of ways a thread like this could go. So far it's trending towards overplayed. Alot of the songs mentioned as overrated, the critics can't stand.

Just asking for a little clarification.:D

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score

They're not the same at all. Livin' La Vida Loca was overplayed but I don't think one critic rated it as a good song. Same with Rod Stewart's Do Ya Think I'm Sexy. Still played heavily today on "Flashback" weekends (radio) but this song usually makes critics worst song of all-time lists. And really most critics don't rate Freebird highly at all. Overplayed is one thing, overrated is another.

In fairness she said they CAN be one in the same but that isn't to say they always are. I think some songs can be over rated as well as being way over played. Some songs from Metallica I think fall in both categories, Enter Sandman which Tray mentioned is a perfect example. Good song but not their best and certainly gets too much airtime. So much better Metallica songs out there that don't get near as much attention. Really depends on your personal take really. People will see things differently.

ILoveJimmyPage

Reaction score

Can one of the mods fix the thread title to "overrated"? It's driving me nutso. :bonk::heheh:

JerseyGirl

Reaction score

The original thread starter should define what "overrated" means. Does it mean a song the critics love but you can't stand? Or does it mean that because it's overplayed, it therefore is overrated? There's a bunch of ways a thread like this could go. So far it's trending towards overplayed. Alot of the songs mentioned as overrated, the critics can't stand.

Just asking for a little clarification.:D

Thanks! That's exactly what I was trying to say. :bonk: My example was 'Sweet Home Alabama'. To me that's a great song and not overrated. But yes, it may be overplayed.

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I think Tuesdays Gone is another over played Lynard song myself. More then Sweet Home Alabama.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
I find the thread title easy to understand, you can pick any song you feel is valued more than you feel it should be, totally subjective and completely biased on your part.

Doesn't have anything to do with Overexposure, if that were the case he would have said "Overplayed".

These threads are for fun, I don't take them seriously after all my pick was Hey Jude, and I love the Beatles dearly.;)

ILoveJimmyPage

Reaction score
I still think it is open to interpretation, and I refuse to change my mind on that and one of the reasons I was so reluctant to step foot into this thread is because the lines get a little blurred and people get confused. Yes perhaps it should have been clarified a little more but I still stand by my opinion that an overplayed song is often times an overpraised song, and I won't back down from that. I stand by my choices on my list and do think a lot of others that replied listed songs that are overpraised, therefore overplayed. It's fine if no one agrees with me. That is what indeed the forum is for, sharing opinions and not feeling like we have to prove each other wrong.
:)

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
@ LG Exactly, plenty of songs I love got mentioned. There is always going to be cases of songs being either heavily praised more then they might deserve or overexposure. I think if you enjoy the songs then why let what someone posts in this thread bug you?

JerseyGirl

Reaction score
@ LG Exactly, plenty of songs I love got mentioned. There is always going to be cases of songs being either heavily praised more then they might deserve or overexposure. I think if you enjoy the songs then why let what someone posts in this thread bug you?

Who's bugged? Not me. Did someone say they were bugged? I was just asking for clarification. :confused:

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tnfkdg

Staff online

Members online