Pink Floyd - Favorite Song?

Džedaj

Groovy as hell.
Reaction score
Re: Favorite Pink Floyd Song

I just listened to Animals a couple of days ago, for the first time in years. Wow. It's amazing how time and experience give you insight into what exactly a song is about. Dogs is about politicians and ranking military officers who ruthlessly do whatever they have to in order to advance their careers but wind up, in the end, nothing but sad old men all alone dying of cancer. Scathing. Pigs (Three Different Ones) is, in part, a thorough thrashing of Margaret Thatcher...Sheep is about blind faith, the blind leading the blind, people who do what they're told without questioning motives. Waters' cynicism is thick as syrup. Such an under rated album, unfortunate to be sandwiched between Wish You Were Here and The Wall, I think it's better than both. In fact, it's my favorite Floyd record and my favorite Floyd song is from it, "Dogs".

Yeah, I totally agree with this. It may not be my fav PF album, but I agree it's very underrated. Roger Water is lyrical genius and when combined with other three members, he makes best music ever.

architect

Supine In The Sunshine
Reaction score

Exactly LG and for me it grew to become my favourite Floyd album.:cheers2

Another wizard track from P/F "TIME".

Yeah, Meddle was my first introduction to the "non commercial Floyd". It radically changed my notion of just what the Floyd were. Before i heard it, I had been listening mostly to DSOTM and the Wall. I thought they were just some deep, dark, spacey outfit. Soulless and obscure. But Meddle is a fresh breath of pastoral air, just like its predecessor Atom Heart Mother. Which includes a Rick Wright masterpiece, Summer 68!

Džedaj

Groovy as hell.
Reaction score

Yeah, Meddle was my first introduction to the "non commercial Floyd". It radically changed my notion of just what the Floyd were. Before i heard it, I had been listening mostly to DSOTM and the Wall. I thought they were just some deep, dark, spacey outfit. Soulless and obscure. But Meddle is a fresh breath of pastoral air, just like its predecessor Atom Heart Mother. Which includes a Rick Wright masterpiece, Summer 68!

Exactly! We have same opinion about mid Floyds :grinthumb
Don't forget epic acoustic classic, Alan's Psychedelic Breakfast, off Atom Heart Mother. Second part that kicks off at 4:40 is beyond amazing :bow:

architect

Supine In The Sunshine
Reaction score

Exactly! We have same opinion about mid Floyds :grinthumb
Don't forget epic acoustic classic, Alan's Psychedelic Breakfast, off Atom Heart Mother. Second part that kicks off at 4:40 is beyond amazing :bow:

Wow! :grinthumb Glad someone else like this song. I was beginning to think I was the only one. Brilliant song!

Cosmic Harmony

Reaction score

Well I don't trash Final Cut, but I don't consider it aswell as work of whole PF. I know it's Roger Waters speaking from depth of his heart, but his music is monotone, which was never problem with Pink Floyd until Final Cut. I don't fancy Delicate Sound of Thunder too much awell, there's few good songs, but hey, it's 2 important members missing, what would you expect?

I really like how dark and cynical Roger Waters' songwriting is. While it may not be Floyd's greatest album "The Final Cut" would probably rank at either number three or four for my favorite Pink Floyd albums.

AboutAGirl

oh, be nice
Reaction score

I don't mind the idea that The Final Cut isn't a real Pink Floyd album, just so long as the same applies to Piper at the Gates of Dawn and the two Gilmour records. :)

Lynch

Here for the cookies and the tunes
Reaction score

Pink Floyd ceased to exist when Waters and Gilmour split. Of course, some might say the same thing about Barrett'ss exit.
(regarding the bolded text):

Anyone that says that should be slapped. That's ALMOST as silly as saying that the Beatles ceased to exist after Pete Best's exit.

AboutAGirl

oh, be nice
Reaction score

I dunno... the quality of the music is pretty much the thing people choose to judge by. Pink Floyd and AC/DC get to ditch quintessential members and remain legitimate because they put out incredible material afterward. Floyd was Syd when he was with the band. It didn't last very long, but I think an easy argument could be made that Syd's role in Pink Floyd was equivelant to Kurt Cobain's in Nirvana or Neil Young's in Neil Young & Crazy Horse. If "Full Circle" was The Doors' best album, would people have no problem with the fact that Jim isn't there anymore? I think so.

I'm not criticizing. I'm just thinking out loud. I mean, it's a discussion forum, we need discussions right?

Cosmic Harmony

Reaction score

I think an easy argument could be made that Syd's role in Pink Floyd was equivelant to Kurt Cobain's in Nirvana or Neil Young's in Neil Young & Crazy Horse. If "Full Circle" was The Doors' best album, would people have no problem with the fact that Jim isn't there anymore? I think so.

I wouldn't equivalent them at all.

Neil Young is not a part of Crazy Horse. Crazy Horse just happens to be there with Neil. It's like saying that The Dreamland Express, The Blackhearts, The Heartbreakers, and the E. Street Band are all legitimate groups without their famous frontmen/woman. After Alice Cooper started his solo career the rest of the band attempted to continue on as Billion Dollar Babies and you know how that went for them? Nowhere.

Syd also can't be compared to Kurt because he was kicked out of Floyd. Kurt was not kicked out of Nirvana. That to me says that the rest of Floyd believe that they could soldier on without him (which they did, far more successfully), whereas if Nirvana had replaced Kurt it would have only infuriated people. Kurt was an icon, Syd was not. Syd became an impossible obstacle while in the band, Kurt did not.

I realize that thinking Syd Barret era Floyd is better is an opinion and there is no changing that but it's really quite evident that from a songwriting, revolutionary, influential, musical, and damn near every other aspect the Pink Floyd albums released after Syd are greater. He was influential much more in idea than in musical direction or anything else.

AboutAGirl

oh, be nice
Reaction score

I wouldn't equivalent them at all.

Neil Young is not a part of Crazy Horse. Crazy Horse just happens to be there with Neil. It's like saying that The Dreamland Express, The Blackhearts, The Heartbreakers, and the E. Street Band are all legitimate groups without their famous frontmen/woman. After Alice Cooper started his solo career the rest of the band attempted to continue on as Billion Dollar Babies and you know how that went for them? Nowhere.

Well, if you ask Neil, he'll tell you he is a part of Crazy Horse. Those guys were in a band together before Neil met them and Crazy Horse was an autonomous group pretty much as soon as they started playing with Neil, they had (their own) record in the works in 1970 if not earlier.

Kurt Cobain is the guitarist, singer and songwriter of Nirvana. The others contribute, but he calls the shots and it's his vision. Neil Young is the guitarist, singer and songwriter of Neil Young & Crazy Horse. The others contribute, but he calls the shots and it's his vision. Syd Barret was the guitarist, singer and songwriter of Pink Floyd. The others contributed, but he called the shots and it was his vision.

Syd also can't be compared to Kurt because he was kicked out of Floyd. Kurt was not kicked out of Nirvana. That to me says that the rest of Floyd believe that they could soldier on without him (which they did, far more successfully), whereas if Nirvana had replaced Kurt it would have only infuriated people. Kurt was an icon, Syd was not. Syd became an impossible obstacle while in the band, Kurt did not.

Which goes back to what I said about the quality of the output. If Nirvana ditched Kurt and promptly put out a record that is both their commercial and critical height, "Nirvana" would become this other guy's band in many people's minds. What I'm saying is I think the circumstantial occurrences should be overlooked. In my eyes, it only depends on who is making the music and calling the shots. In theoretical terms I don't see a difference between if a member dies, quits, or gets kicked out, as the effect on the music is identical either way.

I realize that thinking Syd Barret era Floyd is better is an opinion and there is no changing that but it's really quite evident that from a songwriting, revolutionary, influential, musical, and damn near every other aspect the Pink Floyd albums released after Syd are greater. He was influential much more in idea than in musical direction or anything else.

I don't think Syd's stuff is better. Piper is one of Floyd's worst records by far if you ask me. But when Syd was in the band it was his band. He invented the whole thing. If he hadn't buckled under the pressure, and he had decided to make Pink Floyd a bluegrass band or a 30 piece symphony orchestra, that's exactly what Pink Floyd would have become. When Floyd ditched Syd, the label dropped Floyd and picked up Syd; that's how important he was at the time.

All I'm saying is that the level of time Syd spent at the band's helm is the only difference between post-Syd Floyd and post-Jim Morrison Doors, post-Shannon Hoon Blind Melon, post-tragedy Skynyrd, etc. etc. etc. I agree that Floyd went on to much greater heights and that the band became their own. It's just that I can completely understand if anyone considers Syd's Floyd to be the only true Floyd because it was Syd's band and Syd's vision. In the annals of history, Floyd's other members far overshadow Syd and all his work. But for a little while there, Floyd was basically just cashing in on Syd's work.

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JessKellow

Members online