Illegal Music Downloading

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
Yep, locking this thread for the night! No matter what happens people seem to want to make things about the poster rather than the issue and I don't want to have sit staring at this thread all night! Magic or LG can decide when to unlock it! If you guys get bored enough their is plenty of music here! :tongue:

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
Opened for fighting...insulting...I mean discussing downloading music.:heheh:

I am amazed, I can converse with anyone in the forum Without getting angry, and yet some people continue to get mad at other members almost to the point of forgetting what the thread/topic is about.

Julez, yes downloading P2P is still legal in Canada, however there are copywrite protection rules in place here similar to the U.S., they just aren't being enforced yet. If you download something that is just released for example you can be charged and fined for doing so.

Hep, one thing that I always find amusing about our Media/Entertainment companies, is the scale of profits they made reselling over and over again the albums we all grew up with. Not one company ever complained when we all changed from vinyl to CD, and then again to DVD's now, they made millions or billions of dollars on those resales of old material. And still the division of revenue Never changed, so while I will always agree that up and coming artists are hurt by downloading when it comes to CD sales, media conglomerates have more than made their fair share of profits over the years.

As for distributing/advertising, I disagree that business model is ancient Hep. What is CRF for? It's a music forum, one of 1,000's on the internet. The new generation will do everything online when it comes to finding/listening/buying music in the future, the old support you refer to is no longer essential. Supporting a massive worldwide tour, then the contacts/muscle you talk about makes things easier, but it can be replaced by other relationships with other companies to advertise their product lines when the band tours, without the middle man.

Bottom line, more money for the artists, at least 50% of the revenue from what they create.

100% ownership of the music the artists create themselves, the labels owning those rights in perpetuity is beyond abhorrent to me.

Last thought, there are numerous web sites for almost every band in my collection, they are either "Official" or started by rabid fans. They are the key to the future of music, you can buy anything you like from them, CD's, Downloads, T-shirts, concert listing, band biographies,,,etc. That is something the record company no longer needs to do, their PR department/advertising is no longer critical to the success of a band.

F

FoxyPage

Fact of the matter is, whether it is illegal or not, downloading music helps artists get exposure. Some of those artists finally caught on to this and allow free downloading of their music.

Lynch

Here for the cookies and the tunes
Reaction score
Fact of the matter is, whether it is illegal or not, downloading music helps artists get exposure. Some of those artists finally caught on to this and allow free downloading of their music.

Anyone remember when Metallica released St. Anger? The first song off that album was FREE in mp3 format on their website. Anyone ALSO remember that this was right after their "victory" lawsuit over Napster?

I always took that as a MAJOR slap in the face to the fans. "First, **** you for trying to steal our music, and second, **** you as we ruined the P2P company you were using, but hey... here's our next song free in the exact format you were stealing from us in the first place!"

I swore on the day I first heard about that, that I would NEVER again buy another Metallica album again. I stuck to that until this past fall where I needed to replace my Black Album, but gah, that really pissed me off.

ComfortablyNumb

Unquestionable Presence
Reaction score
Anyone remember when Metallica released St. Anger? The first song off that album was FREE in mp3 format on their website. Anyone ALSO remember that this was right after their "victory" lawsuit over Napster?

I always took that as a MAJOR slap in the face to the fans. "First, **** you for trying to steal our music, and second, **** you as we ruined the P2P company you were using, but hey... here's our next song free in the exact format you were stealing from us in the first place!"

I swore on the day I first heard about that, that I would NEVER again buy another Metallica album again. I stuck to that until this past fall where I needed to replace my Black Album, but gah, that really pissed me off.

Yea I remember that. They should give that album away for free or better yet pay the fans who bought the album because honestly that album was complete shit.

Bands like Metallica who are extremely wealthy should not worry about fans downloading for free.

That is where greed comes in and they are the perfect example of that.

Here is a great video since you mentioned them Lynch.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
^^We don't have to pillory Metallica about that anymore, the Southpark episode about "Napster" covered that one for all time.:grinthumb

F

FoxyPage

St. Anger was so awful they should have just given it away for free, anyways, haha. I feel sorry for anyone who paid money for it.

I still love you, Lars, but I hate your band, give or take a few songs.

Lynch

Here for the cookies and the tunes
Reaction score
Yea I remember that. They should give that album away for free or better yet pay the fans who bought the album because honestly that album was complete shit.

Bands like Metallica who are extremely wealthy should not worry about fans downloading for free.

That is where greed comes in and they are the perfect example of that.

Here is a great video since you mentioned them Lynch.

Yeah, I've got that vid and another one that is similar on a backup disc somewhere. It's funny cuz they make out Lars to be the greedy, slimy little dwarf/midget and James to be this big hulking dumbass. I've only seen two, but both make me laugh.

Reaction score
First I check the stores, if they aren't there I check the library, if they aren't there, I check the Vinyl store, I have an old record player, it has a real sound. If I can't find it in these stores I download it.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
allmylife11

Staff online

Members online