Illegal Music Downloading

Titokinz

Earthbound misfit
Reaction score
I don't understand why some musicians/bands get so passionately irritated by it. I mean, isn't the spread of their music far more important than the money they recieve for their music? I don't feel guilty at all for it, I don't see it as stealing, most of the musicians I download are already hella rich so those money hungry mongrels that do get ridiculously upset should really think what music's all about. And it sure shouldn't be about the paycheques.

Mr. T

Reaction score
I don't delete music if I don't like it though, because who knows...in a couple months, i'll give it a listen again and I may end up liking the album. But I prefer to download before buying, saves me money.

Didn't say I deleted it immediately P&C :D

With all the bands I have been exposed to, and some of them are obscure bands, not only is it difficult to find some of these in local record shops, but some are almost impossible to find unless you download. (or want to pay a huge import price)

I find it very nice to be able to download and evaluate an album, then buy it. I like having all the booklets and such that comes with the hard copy :)

Exactamundo, Magic!

I always knew there was more to TUNEZ than he was letting on...Owned his own forum in fact...:D

Didn't wanna let my secrets outta the bag right of the bat LG ;)

runningshoes

Great White North
Reaction score
I must admit I used to do it not really thinking about the artist losing money, but then it started getting into the news more and it made me feel like a thief so I stopped. Besides, I like having the actual cd to look at and being able to read the inserts.

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
In all honesty, the artists make peanuts off the CD sales....infact they still make the peanuts when you buy blank CD's......

The artists like to see the album sales stats, though...and of course downloading robs them of those stats, unless you are downloading from Itunes.

Where the artists make the mojo is from the concerts. If I haven't heard a band before, I probably wont go to the concerts. Thanks to my evaluation via download, I have been able to gain an appreciation for bands I never would have dreamed of buying CD's from or going to their concerts. A prime example is Buckethead...I have seen him live thanks to downloading some of his music :)

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
The artist gets between 12-15% from the sale of a CD,,,I've written about this topic extensively over the last few years.

The problem is the labels and their obsolete marketing/revenue sharing structure...it has to change and i-tunes is not the answer, I won't buy anything from them.:nw:

Lynch

Here for the cookies and the tunes
Reaction score
I don't understand why some musicians/bands get so passionately irritated by it. I mean, isn't the spread of their music far more important than the money they recieve for their music?

The VAST majority of people that record and release music do it for 2 reasons:

1) they like doing it
2) they like making money doing it

There are plenty of other reasons but those two have to be the top two. Egos and "hey look at me" are probably a very close #3. The reason artists get upset by it can vary from one group or artist to the next. If Metallica goes into the studio and makes an album, they can afford to do so without really worrying about not making money on album sales (even though they are still popular enough to make some decent money on it, or at least not a loss). But with a new album comes touring, so they make huge bank doing that.

But then there is a band like say, the Doobie Brothers. Sure they've been around for about 40 years. But they don't have the bankroll that a huge band has. The cost vs payoff for them to make a new album and even a subsequent tour doesn't compare to what a bigtime band/artist

The sad thing is, it's the BIGGER bands that make the most noise about the illegal downloading. Smaller bands, local bands, etc seem to have a better understanding that getting their name, their faces and their music out into the public, even at a bit of a financial loss could be their ticket to actually making some real money and or some real fame. One of those "paying their dues" sort of thing.

*shrug*

KISSFREAK

Reaction score
I have downloaded CDs in the past but just a few here and there and I didn't get carried away with it and as far as I am concerned I got all the CDs I want/need for now.

I even make my own CD inserts for the front and rear covers and a label for the CD itself.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onlineclass

Staff online

Members online