Illegal Music Downloading

Hepcat

retired
Reaction score
1. If that was the case the albums would not be incredibly overpriced. 2. They are there to make more then a quick buck. Greed is their own worst enemy and 3. I am glad they are getting it right in the ass from people who download for free.

After reading an interview with Greg Sage I can say the record companies deserve to crumble with how they operate.

They overprice, they get more of the money from album sales when they really did nothing to create the music that went onto the album.

You do not need to overprice albums and rip people off to make a quick buck.

4. Indie bands and DIY bands are perfect examples of that.

Music is an art not a business.

Once it becomes a business it loses its artistic value.

5. The Big record companies can shove it.

1. How many times must I statistically document that prerecorded music is a fabulous value these days? It's less expensive than just about anything else priced in 1970 dollars. Just try to buy anything else for just three times the price you would have paid in 1970.

I think you just want something for nothing, that's all.

2. The present lot of music companies have been around since before 1950. If they've been in it for a quick buck, it's hardly turned out that way. You should be accusing them of hopeless incompetence instead of greed.

3. Have you not read the rules Magic posted earlier today? We're not supposed to denigrate others on the basis of sexual orientation.

4. Nonsense. Any artist who has successfully made a living from his art has also treated it as a business. Starvation tends to focus both the mind and artistic impulses. Show me an indie band that isn't adept at business and I'll show you a band that doesn't make a living from its music.

Once again, do you work for nothing? Why then do you expect others to work for nothing?

5. Thank the big record companies for the existence of the entire catalogue of music today, from Mozart to Frank Sinatra to the Beatles to the Decemberists. Without them, only the tiniest fraction of that music would be available today. It would neither have been recorded or distributed. I don't know about you, but my music brings me pleasure - and I'd have just about none of it without the record companies.

:drums:

Last edited:

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
Holy Crap Batman...that is the most colorful post I have ever read Hep...you must have some hidden artistic talents after all...:heheh:

I will answer your last sentence, I agree with you as far as record companies being integral to distributing music for decades, however they Must change their practices. You always seem to miss my biggest point, they are fighting to preserve the Control over the artists and their music and the lopsided percentages of the revenue, if they were more generous and kept with the changing world around them, then I would give them credit. As it stands now, we are watching them sink into a quicksand bog as much of their own making as any external pressures.

You love to tell me about enlightened self interest, well the companies either adapt and continue to prosper, or fail utterly to be replaced by something different. There is no middle ground, launching lawsuits, buying boatloads of lawyers judges and politicians is not the answer.

ComfortablyNumb

Unquestionable Presence
Reaction score
1. How many times must I statistically document that prerecorded music is a fabulous value these days? It's less expensive than just about anything else priced in 1970 dollars? Just try to buy anything else for just three times the price you paid in 1970.

I think you just want something for nothing, that's all.
I think you do not know what then you are talking about with your last sentence in this part of the post.

Do not assume you know me because right now you are doing so and you are way off base.

I do not care if you have to post it until you are blue in the face and die.

It will not change my opinion that albums today are over priced.

Also it costs less money to record a CD then it does a Record.

2. The present lot of music companies have been around since before 1950. If they've been in it for a quick buck, it's hardly turned out that way. You should be accusing them of hopeless incompetence instead of greed.

No I will still accuse them of greed because that is the problem.

3. Have you not read the rules Magic posted earlier today? We're not supposed to denigrate others on the basis of sexual orientation.

Really where did I denigrate others please show me that one? It is a saying have you ever actually heard that one or not? Do not try to make it seem like I am denigrating others when that is far from what I do. Especially when I am a proponent of equal rights for the Gay community so stay on topic and do not let your mind wonder off.

4. Nonsense. Any artist who has successfully made a living from his art has also treated it as a business. Starvation tends to focus both the mind and artistic impulses. Show me an indie band that isn't adept at business and I'll show you a band that doesn't make a living from its music.

Once again, do you work for nothing? Why then do you expect others to work for nothing?
How are they getting nothing? They have merchandise and have shows.

Relying on selling albums alone does not work.

So they get something even with out record sales.

BTW doing something you love is great getting paid is a bonus.

So what happened to the love of music? Oh yea Greed got in the way.

I still bring Greg Sage as a perfect example of a person who treats it more as an art and does not really care about the money. Guess what? He owns his own record company and makes a living with music, but music has always come first before money for him.

There are many others like that as well.

5. Thank the big record companies for the existence of the entire catalogue of music today, from Mozart to Frank Sinatra to the Beatles to the Decemberists. Without them, only the tiniest fraction of that music would be available today. It would neither have been recorded or distributed. I don't know about you, but my music brings me pleasure - and I'd have just about none of it without the record companies.

I said BIG record companies. Do not assume that with out them the music would not have been distributed. I have made my point that small indie labels can get their records out there and do so with out ripping people off.

DIY DIY DIY DIY. That is what it is called.

Try reading up on how hardcore punk bands did so in the early 80's.

GREED GREED GREED.

That is what is ruining the music industry. They do it to themselves.

ComfortablyNumb

Unquestionable Presence
Reaction score
I will answer your last sentence, I agree with you as far as record companies being integral to distributing music for decades, however they Must change their practices.

I have no problem with indie labels. They offer albums at $9.99 the most that I have seen at least.

The big companies steal from the artist more then people realize IMO and I will not support that nor will I cry over if the company shuts down because of free downloading. I will actually laugh.

Today it does not matter since people can distribute their music many different ways. The biggest being the internet.

You always seem to miss my biggest point, they are fighting to preserve the Control over the artists and their music and the lopsided percentages of the revenue, if they were more generous and kept with the changing world around them, then I would give them credit. As it stands now, we are watching them sink into a quicksand bog as much of their own making as any external pressures.

LG that is what I am getting at when I said greed is the reason for their downfall.

You love to tell me about enlightened self interest, well the companies either adapt and continue to prosper, or fail utterly to be replaced by something different. There is no middle ground, launching lawsuits, buying boatloads of lawyers judges and politicians is not the answer.

Their own fault. Lets watch it all burn and laugh while we still listen to the music.

Julie

Reaction score
In Canada downloading music isn't illegal, right? I'm sorry, I know it's annoying that I, completely ignorant, without having read the thread (which would probably answer my question), disturb your passionate discussion!!

Hepcat

retired
Reaction score
Lord Grendel:

But record companies have adapted! They've made these downloads available which the mass market, i.e. non-audiophiles, seem to like. But some people still maintain that the music should be free.

ComfortablyNumb:

1. If you still think CDs cost too much, buy them used. They're still every bit as good that way but they cost only a fraction of the price.

2. Gays? I never said anything about gays. I thought you were encouraging the sexual exploitation of the donkey species. :D Now stop taking yourself so seriously and lighten up. Humour is a friend. Learn to embrace it.

3. You're also making the mistake of condemning the profit motive by dismissing it as "greed". This despite the fact that you not only accept wages for your work, you actually demand them. After all, rational self-interest, i.e. Adam Smith's invisible hand, makes the world go round.

4. Why must everyone follow Greg Sage's business model? Some musicians can't; others don't care to. Why should the rest not be free to choose? Why do you have such a problem with the concept of choice?

And guess what? Most professional musicians (and artists of any stripe) are not in favour of copyright infringement - which is something that surprises me not at all.

ComfortablyNumb

Unquestionable Presence
Reaction score
Lord Grendel:

But record companies have adapted! They've made these downloads available which the mass market, i.e. non-audiophiles, seem to like. But some people still maintain that the music should be free.

ComfortablyNumb:

1. If you still think CDs cost too much, buy them used. They're still every bit as good that way but they cost only a fraction of the price.

2. Gays? I never said anything about gays. I thought you were encouraging the sexual exploitation of the donkey species. :D Now stop taking yourself so seriously and lighten up. Humour is a friend. Learn to embrace it.

3. You're also making the mistake of condemning the profit motive by dismissing it as "greed". This despite the fact that you not only accept wages for your work, you actually demand them. After all, rational self-interest, i.e. Adam Smith's invisible hand, makes the world go round.

4. Why must everyone follow Greg Sage's business model? Some musicians can't; others don't care to. Why should the rest not be free to choose? Why do you have such a problem with the concept of choice?

And guess what? Most professional musicians (and artists of any stripe) are not in favour of copyright infringement - which is something that surprises me not at all.

1) No thanks. I do not want used CD's. I have had some, not a fan.

2) Never said you did I said I was not denigrating anyone based on sexual orientation which you accused me of.

I know humor, I have a great sense of humor, I do not see any humor in what you accused me of. Nor would I be able to sense a tone of humor through words online.

3) They use "the profit motive" to hide their greed. If they were not greedy they would not give a shit about downloads showing up online.

Comparing labor to something that is consider a hobby is absolutely ludicrous.

4) Did I say I have a problem with choice? No I did not. Do not put words in my mouth.

Why can't those musicians CHOOSE to do the same thing he did? Why is that? I really would like to know how they can not do the same thing.
They choose not to because like you said they do not care. They are more empowered by greed.

Hepcat

retired
Reaction score
2. Yeah, well I still say you're oversensitive.

:tongue:

4. Of course you won't admit you have a problem with choice. The sad reality is that you don't even recognize you have a problem with choice. But that doesn't mean you don't have that problem.

It's time for me to go anyway.

:****:

ComfortablyNumb

Unquestionable Presence
Reaction score
2. Yeah, well I still say you're oversensitive.

:tongue:

4. Of course you won't admit you have a problem with choice. The sad reality is that you don't even recognize you have a problem with choice. But that doesn't mean you don't have that problem.

It's time for me to go anyway.

:****:

I actually have no problem with choice.

I do not get how you think I do nor do I care at this point.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hannibal37

Members online

No members online now.