*The Wonderful World Of Joe Meek *

E-Z

Reaction score
Joe's old north London recording studio in Holloway Road is only down the road from where I live in north London although these days it's above a Indian food shop. A heritage 'blue plaque' is fixed to the brick wall above street level under a first floor window saying something like "Joe Meek and Joe's recording studio was on this spot late 1950s-1967" I believe.

Last edited:

E-Z

Reaction score
I went and watched the 2008 film about Joe Meek in the Odeon cinema in Holloway Road only up the road from Joe's old recording studio in Holloway Road which was cool. I went and saw that film 3-times that opening week I recall and it's quite a good film especially towards the end when Joe kills his landlady with a shotgun although not to say I was enjoying that so much but it was the re-enactment of what quite possibly happened that day in that building when the landlady was killed by Joe and then Joe blew his own head off with the shotgun!!.

Apparently according to the film Joe was financially broke when he ended his life in February 1967 but a French song writer claimed and sued Joe for plagiarism over Joe's massive instrumental hit song Telstar and it went to court but a couple of weeks after Joe 'topped himself' the court ruled in Joe's favour and was awarded damages amounting to the equivalent in 1967 money of £3.MILLION POUNDS!!.

Romulus

Reaction score
pparently according to the film Joe was financially broke when he ended his life in February 1967 but a French song writer claimed and sued Joe for plagiarism over Joe's massive instrumental hit song Telstar and it went to court but a couple of weeks after Joe 'topped himself' the court ruled in Joe's favour and was awarded damages amounting to the equivalent in 1967 money of £3.MILLION POUNDS!!.
So who received the £3 Million pounds on behalf of Joe Meek Deceased ?

Nai Noswad

Reaction score
That's the 3 million pound question!
I've got several biographies on Joe... alas he was a troubled man... Technically brilliant.... but the gay thing and record moguls played havoc and he had serious trust issues. Paul Nicholas, Blackmore, Chas, Heinz, Page, and many others sessioned for Joe and countless "stay for tea" had rockers running for the Tavern up the road.
Really he set the trend for the independent way that emerged in punk 10 years later.

E-Z

Reaction score
So who received the £3 Million pounds on behalf of Joe Meek Deceased ?
Yeah I thought about that after posting it and I may well have got the financial amount of money the wrong way around?. The financial amount that was awarded to Joe Meek was the 'equivalent' to £3.MILLION POUNDS in 2008 and not in 1967 sorry about that and as for who received the money after Joe 'blew his head off' with a 12 bore shotgun god knows??. Somebody obviously pocketed it maybe it was Joe's relatives/next-of-kin(?) who received it I honestly don't know??.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bringzip

Members online