Illegal Music Downloading

Lynch

Here for the cookies and the tunes
Reaction score
I view it this way... The actual act of taping was illegal, but the tapes being around now are not illegal, and some venues even allowed taping of some shows if the artist OK'ed it, Grateful Dead were big in that, but other bands too, also, if the concert has no copyright, like Led Zep playing XYZ showcase on 2/14/1971, had no official release from a record company, then, no one technically owns that audio that was sent into the air so someone can share it, it can't be sold because John Smith who snuck a tape recorder in would need a copyright of that material to sell it, but because no one has a copyright on the material, anyone can listen for free through any medium as long as it isn't sold by someone who doesn't own the copyright(which in this case, no one does, so no one can sell it)... so selling copies of bootlegs is still illegal, sharing is not, and distrubting free copies of albums isn't legal because some one owns a copyright to it, where no as no one owns a copyright to the bootleg....

hopefully that paragraph/incoherent rambling made some sense:heheh:

Most of it makes sense and I have to say that if this TRULY is the case, it's the most retarded bunch of laws ever put together.

Let's use LZ2 as a reference here. I can buy LZ2 from a music store (online, physically, whatever). I own the CD, correct? If I decide I no longer want this CD, I can sell it to someone else, even though it's copyrighted.. just as long as I don't make additional copies and sell those. I also can't make copies and give them away for free. But just to keep things clear I can sell my own purchased copy.

Let's say I was lucky enough to see LZ on that tour and snuck in and ILLEGALLY recorded the concert. I can distribute THAT audio freely, as long as I don't charge, even though EVERY single song on the tape is copyrighted. I can't make copies and sell them, but I can make copies and give them away like candy on Halloween.

This is one of THE most f**ked up, dingy-ass set of laws ever. I just don't understand how the industry itself has no problem with their copyrighted material being freely distributed since the recording itself was illegal and not "official"... thus ok. Seriously, that makes ZERO sense. I'm not saying it's not true, I'm just saying that mentality is ridiculous

Reaction score
Most of it makes sense and I have to say that if this TRULY is the case, it's the most retarded bunch of laws ever put together.

Let's use LZ2 as a reference here. I can buy LZ2 from a music store (online, physically, whatever). I own the CD, correct? If I decide I no longer want this CD, I can sell it to someone else, even though it's copyrighted.. just as long as I don't make additional copies and sell those. I also can't make copies and give them away for free. But just to keep things clear I can sell my own purchased copy.

Let's say I was lucky enough to see LZ on that tour and snuck in and ILLEGALLY recorded the concert. I can distribute THAT audio freely, as long as I don't charge, even though EVERY single song on the tape is copyrighted. I can't make copies and sell them, but I can make copies and give them away like candy on Halloween.

This is one of THE most f**ked up, dingy-ass set of laws ever. I just don't understand how the industry itself has no problem with their copyrighted material being freely distributed since the recording itself was illegal and not "official"... thus ok. Seriously, that makes ZERO sense. I'm not saying it's not true, I'm just saying that mentality is ridiculous

I think it actually makes sense, most of it... but for the albums basically they just don't want you making any copies.. the number of albums put onto a CD, record, whatever, is how many they want in the world, no more, they don't care how those circulate through the world, but they don't want any more made

for the bootlegs, those songs techinically are not copyrighted... no one technically paid to own the rights to those songs played at that show, LZ owns the copyright to the words and notes of their songs, but when they play them, at a show anyone can record them because they aren't reproducing the songs and claiming those words and order of notes as their own, no one owns teh copyright to the recording though, so anyone can own this recording for free... the actual copyright of the material is what makes it someone's possession to be able to sell or restrict from being owned or sold by someone else...

Sunny

Settled down at last and very happy.
Reaction score
Here is Liam Gallagher's (Oasis) view on downloading:

"Downloading's the same as what I used to do - I used to tape the charts of the songs I liked off the radio. I don't mind it. I hate all those big silly rock starts who moan - at least they're f***g downloading your music you c***s, and paying attention, know what I mean?"

He added, "You should f*****g appreciate that - what are you moaning about. You've got f****g five houses".

I just had to laugh when I read it :heheh:

Reaction score

"Downloading's the same as what I used to do - I used to tape the charts of the songs I liked off the radio. I don't mind it. I hate all those big silly rock starts who moan - at least they're f***g downloading your music you c***s, and paying attention, know what I mean?"

He added, "You should f*****g appreciate that - what are you moaning about. You've got f****g five houses".

rock stars and their language:omg::heheh:

Ezequiel

Reaction score
eMalahleni, South Africa & Delft, Holland

Especially this part... so true

F

FoxyPage

As annoying as those brothers could be, they still said shit that made perfect sense.

A dude who owns multiple houses with like 100+ rooms complaining about downloading.....yeah man, I totally feel sorry for you. If you give me one of your mansions, a few of your expensive cars and some cash, I'll never download your music again.

Ezequiel

Reaction score
eMalahleni, South Africa & Delft, Holland
Those artists shouldn't complain. If the smaller artists complain I would understand. Some friends of mine have been performing for a couple of years (The Aurora Project) and it didn't make them rich. If they complain about it, it would make sense.

Tattoo'd Lady

Scentless Apprentice
Reaction score
Those artists shouldn't complain. If the smaller artists complain I would understand. Some friends of mine have been performing for a couple of years (The Aurora Project) and it didn't make them rich. If they complain about it, it would make sense.

but at least someone would be listening to and enjoying their music rather than not listening to it at all

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
but at least someone would be listening to and enjoying their music rather than not listening to it at all

But sooner or later the music has to be purchased. Without it they have to keep their day jobs and not enough income to make the product better in the future.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
One thing that does bother me, is the "Levy" added to all CD-R purchases. One of my favorite stores had a sale on last week, 50 blank discs for $25.00, and out of that about $15.00 is a levy that goes to the record/software companies. They are assuming you are going to burn Something of theirs even if you wanted to put your photo albums, or home movies or whatever else you want to store on CD's for safekeeping. I never see the media conglomerates complaining about that surcharge that we all pay. Just makes me a little angry when I think about it.:mad:

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hannibal37

Members online