Illegal Music Downloading

Mr. Shadow

"Classic" Member
Reaction score
emusic just added Led Zeppelin and Hendrix recently. I pay less than 40 cents per songs once special deals and free song packs are added in.

I downloaded a half-dozen concerts over the past hour. None of them are copyrighted material.

When I buy CD's, cassettes and/or albums it's almost always used. I did pay homage to the Beatles months back by paying full price for two CDs.

Most of what I snag off of Limewire and similar sites is simply not available otherwise at an affordable price.

I will admit to downloading a torrent with pretty much all of Albrt King's released materials. There were 187 songs. I would have done without if I had to pay for it. I still spend over $1,000 a year on music. I just get it the most economical way possible.

Hepcat

retired
Reaction score
Lord Grendel:

Let me be the first to agree that digital was a record company scam from the start.

:****:

I should be the last to complain about the inroads of digital though. I've been feasting on all the cheap new and nearly new vinyl non-audiophiles ditched as they embraced digital.

:****:

Lynch

Here for the cookies and the tunes
Reaction score
Forgive me for being a 'newb' when it comes to downloading stuff, but I constantly see comments such as "concerts aren't copyrighted'. How the hell is this possible. Unless they are playing music that's never been on any album, it's ALL copyright protected is it not?

If Jimi Hendrix played Purple Haze in concert, even if that concert was not professionally recorded and released by his record company, isn't the song and every other piece of music he played (other than perhaps solos) still 'protected' under copyright laws?

Mr. Shadow

"Classic" Member
Reaction score
Here's the rules from one of my favorite sites. Much of this has been "traded, not sold" by roadies and tapers for years. The key is whether the material has been commercially/ officially released. Most of this stuff is concerts or demo material. It does appear to be 100% legal. In fact many recording are quite clear that it's free to distribute--you just can't go selling copies.

No links to official album releases.
The subject says it all, no links to officially released albums here..that means no copyrighted material of any sort...i.e. nothing from livemetallica.com, no audio tracks ripped from DVD releases, no officially released live recordings, etc.... this includes demos of upcoming album releases. If an album has been out for years and you have demos of that album you want to post that's no problem. Also, don't upload any official album releases to the guitars101 server.

I have a Zeppelin show where the band actually set up an audience recording area.

Some of the greatest shows would have been lost forever without tapers smuggling in tape decks.

http://www.showclix.com/blog/?p=3648

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Listen_to_This_Eddie

Last edited:

Lynch

Here for the cookies and the tunes
Reaction score
I understand how the shows would be lost if not for people taping them, however even in the words you used, these tapers "smuggled" in tape decks. That in and of itself says to me it's illegal. Granted there are some artists that don't seem to give a crap about this, most notably probably the Grateful Dead, however the vast majority of concerts, bringing in recording equipment is still against the rules. Distributing freely via any medium to me would quite obviously still be "illegal".

Don't get me wrong, personally I have no problem with it. I'm just curious what the ramifications would be if someone were "caught" with thousands of bootlegs. Would the RIAA and whatever other BS music group just turn their heads and say "well, that was a concert and not copyrighted" or would someone's ass be grass?

And, what's the difference between selling copies of bootlegs or distributing free copies of studio albums?

Mr. Shadow

"Classic" Member
Reaction score
I understand how the shows would be lost if not for people taping them, however even in the words you used, these tapers "smuggled" in tape decks. That in and of itself says to me it's illegal. Granted there are some artists that don't seem to give a crap about this, most notably probably the Grateful Dead, however the vast majority of concerts, bringing in recording equipment is still against the rules. Distributing freely via any medium to me would quite obviously still be "illegal".

Don't get me wrong, personally I have no problem with it. I'm just curious what the ramifications would be if someone were "caught" with thousands of bootlegs. Would the RIAA and whatever other BS music group just turn their heads and say "well, that was a concert and not copyrighted" or would someone's ass be grass?

And, what's the difference between selling copies of bootlegs or distributing free copies of studio albums?

There shouldn't be any ramifications at all. They are not losing a penny on this material. The record industry is certainly aware of this web site and it continues to offer these legal links. Anything posted improperly can be challenged and the actual download links get removed very quickly.

Bands are getting smart now by making CD's of their shows for sale--often soon after the show ends. That effectually becomes an official release, and those shows would be improper to posvt.

I have no problems with this whatsoever.

By the way... here's an incredible Zep show for those who don't mind this format of collecting.

Led Zeppelin
Memorial Auditorium
Dallas,TX
March.5,1975
(SOUNDBOARD)

Here is the review written by Luis Rey in his book "Led Zeppelin Live".....

"The group is in a superb mood. Plants voice has developed into a powerful,grasping,low howling. Bonham is rehearsing some rhythm changes during "No Quarter" and Page introduces the piano solo with the theramin;the dynamic interactions in the piece are developing more seriously than ever.
A very hard version of "Trampled Underfoot" here. "Dazed & Confused" seems to have a pause for a broken string in the fast solo section,which is not very surprising;Page's desperate and sloppy playing seems to be done with a razor blade,snapping and clipping thousands of notes. It feels like a real pain and pleasure game as "Black Dog"'s last gasps conclude the performance,leaving everyone in exhaustion."

Previously,someone had posted only the first two CDs of this performance. Well,now here is all three CDs.

MEGAUPLOAD - The leading online storage and file delivery service

01-Rock & Roll/Sick Again.
02-Over The Hills & Far Away.
03-In My Time of Dying.
04-The Song Remains The Same.
05-The Rain Song.
06-Kashmir.
07-No Quarter.
08-Trampled Underfoot.
09-Moby Dick.
10-Dazed & Confused.
11-Stairway To Heaven.
12-Whole Lotta Love/The Crunge/Black Dog.

Reaction score

I view it this way... The actual act of taping was illegal, but the tapes being around now are not illegal, and some venues even allowed taping of some shows if the artist OK'ed it, Grateful Dead were big in that, but other bands too, also, if the concert has no copyright, like Led Zep playing XYZ showcase on 2/14/1971, had no official release from a record company, then, no one technically owns that audio that was sent into the air so someone can share it, it can't be sold because John Smith who snuck a tape recorder in would need a copyright of that material to sell it, but because no one has a copyright on the material, anyone can listen for free through any medium as long as it isn't sold by someone who doesn't own the copyright(which in this case, no one does, so no one can sell it)... so selling copies of bootlegs is still illegal, sharing is not, and distrubting free copies of albums isn't legal because some one owns a copyright to it, where no as no one owns a copyright to the bootleg....

hopefully that paragraph/incoherent rambling made some sense:heheh:

Mr. Shadow

"Classic" Member
Reaction score
I view it this way... The actual act of taping was illegal, but the tapes being around now are not illegal, and some venues even allowed taping of some shows if the artist OK'ed it, Grateful Dead were big in that, but other bands too, also, if the concert has no copyright, like Led Zep playing XYZ showcase on 2/14/1971, had no official release from a record company, then, no one technically owns that audio that was sent into the air so someone can share it, it can't be sold because John Smith who snuck a tape recorder in would need a copyright of that material to sell it, but because no one has a copyright on the material, anyone can listen for free through any medium as long as it isn't sold by someone who doesn't own the copyright(which in this case, no one does, so no one can sell it)... so selling copies of bootlegs is still illegal, sharing is not, and distrubting free copies of albums isn't legal because some one owns a copyright to it, where no as no one owns a copyright to the bootleg....

hopefully that paragraph/incoherent rambling made some sense:heheh:

Very well stated. Good night all.:zzz:

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hannibal37

Members online

No members online now.