Which 2000s bands/musicians will be considered legends in 20 years?

gregjohnson1229

Reaction score
Tool. Why do people always snub Tool. Maybe the Artic Monkeys. Wolfmother is good... Damn this decade has been mediocre,

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
I have more bands that originated from the 90's and 2,000's that I'll be following until I die than from any decade before so I have tons. As far as whether they'll be legends is out of my control but the potential for their creative output has the potential to make them worthy. I don't think the bands have changed, just the attitudes of music fans in general. I don't know if it's because it's a more cynical time but anyway since I've seen other bands that started in the 90's but still make music throughout the 2,000's I'll say The Smashing Pumpkins, Tori Amos, etc. will all be worthy of legendary status with their body of work in 20 years time. Both artist are already at the stage where they have created tons of bands and artist who play with them as a main influence growing up! Neither artist is stopping trying to push the limits of what they can do musically! Those are the main two but their are others who have potential IMO! :grinthumb

Zombeels

Reaction score
Radiohead has already achieved legendary status.

White Stripes
Flaming Lips
Sigur Rós
Wilco
Porcupine Tree
Spoon

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
however undeserved as it may be.

Who can really say what's deserved especially from any band that doesn't sit on it's laurels and stop contributing music? I'm not even a huge Radiohead fan but to say they did nothing to make an impact and maintain a huge fanbase would be false from the way I see it! Legendary status to me has to do with a band that makes an impact and continues to have fans that will pass down the name to their kids and so forth and so forth. If a band has made a connection with a fanbase deep enough to do that than it's deserved IMO! :grinthumb

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
From that standpoint, I guess I can agree with you.

That's cool Lynch! :grinthumb

I can see some people's viewpoints like if someone was around during a monumental experience like Beatlemania or heard metal for the first time with Sabbath before anyone knew what to call it. I get it that people were immersed in that history and think "Geez! Nothing will ever top this!" My big movement was the Grunge era and I loved it. For me the big monumental moment was Kurt Cobain's rise and fall and the martyring of him. Nothing has been stamped in music in my lifetime as much as that. I grew up with that. I was in it. I liked him as an artist but it's not just the big impactful artist that are legends otherwise some of the earliest Blue's artist wouldn't be considered legends. That's why I have a wait and see attitude now because looking back on music now as it ages there may be an awakening about the work, influence and art an artist has put out 20 years from now! :grinthumb

Gabble Ratchet

Reaction score

You three need to read my journal then >.> I've had several modern bands jump out at me as something special. It's that reward of a special connection that keeps my hunger for the hunt as strong as it is!

Anyway, I believe Coldplay have been influential in bringing piano ballads back to popular music, Animal Collective and Grizzly Bear could be the ambassadors of the 'experimental' sound that's going around a lot nowadays, and Mumford & Sons will become legends for bringing hearfelt, soulful rock to the empty autotune overkill that is filling the charts today. But who knows what will happen, we can only sit back and enjoy the ride! :D

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shandi

Members online