What was the worst career move made by any artist?

annie

metal maniac
Reaction score
For the Jeff Lynne it was his association with the film Xanadu.

Carry on...what are your choices for the worst career moves ever?

Foxhound

retired
Reaction score
Dick Taylor - Quitting the Rolling Stones in the fall of 1963 rather than being "relegated" to playing bass. The Pretty Things weren't a bad band for him, but compared to the Stones....

Mick Taylor - Quitting the Rolling Stones in 1974 because he was afraid the continued company of the other members would result in his premature death. Well the rest of the Stones are still going strong.

Eric Clapton - Dissolving the Cream. He's only flirted with the highs that he achieved with the Cream since that time.

Peter Green - Quitting Fleetwood Mac after one too many acid trips because they wouldn't give all their earnings to charity. Taking the acid trips in the first place.

Michael Bloomfield - Quitting the Paul Butterfield Blues Band. He soon faded into obscurity. The heroin addiction didn't help of course.

Ritchie Blackmore - Leaving Deep Purple for Rainbow.

John Lennon - Yoko Ono.

:wtf:

Last edited:

Flower

retired
Reaction score
Ginger Baker and Jack Bruce allowing a personal feud to break up Cream .. The following is from Jack Bruce's book titled 'Jack Bruce, Composing Himself' ...

When Cream broke up in 1968 it was by no means a foregone conclusion that it would be Eric Clapton who would enjoy continued commercial success. After all, it was Jack Bruce who had the looks, and who co-wrote and sang all the band's major hits, including "Sunshine of Your Love", "I Feel Free" and "White Room". But he was a singular talent who wanted to be a pioneer, not just a pop star, and he was never happy resting on his reputation. Cream split in their prime but their influence endured, and when they reformed in 2005 tickets were selling for nearly GBP 2000 on e-bay. In the 40 years since Cream split Bruce has continued his musical adventures with the likes of John McLaughlin, Billy Cobham, Carla Bley and Mick Taylor, never quite achieving the success and recognition he deserves. It has been an often troubled life - heroin addiction, management rip-offs, family tragedy, and a failed liver transplant, all of which he speaks about frankly in this book, telling a story that is sometimes funny, sometimes bleak, and always honest.

icker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU02_.jpg

Groovy Man

I'm Not Like Everybody Else
Reaction score
Eric Clapton - Dissolving the Cream. He's only flirted with the highs that he achieved with the Cream since that time.

I'm one of the biggest Cream fans around, would of loved to see another album, but it was time to move on, I guess?

Eric Clapton moved on to other projects, then a successful solo career. Clapton's had a great solo career. He's still popular and a big draw. He must of been doing something right, because he's still packing them in. Is he topping the charts?- who cares, look what's on the charts nowadays, it's youth oriented music. And if a ''classic rocker'' does chart nowadays? - it's just for a week or two, usually. It's safe to say, the day of the classic rockers ruling the charts are long gone.

I'm not alone as a Clapton fan, who was satisfied with his career after Cream and Derek & The Dominos, but the ones who weren't satisfied, seem to be more vocal about it. Worldwide, Eric Clapton is still one of the biggest rock stars from the classic rock era, even after only three and a half studio albums with Cream and one studio album as Derek and the Dominos. In the end, Clapton turned out to be bigger than Cream.

Don't mind me, just rambling on about one of my favorite guitarists, if not my favorite guitarist.

Mr. Shadow

"Classic" Member
Reaction score
In the "Fly on the Wall" CD that comes with "Let It Be--Naked" Ringo is mentioned for not wanting to do another tour--so that ended the discussion, they didn't go. Had they decided to tour the group might have stayed together longer.

Lynch

Here for the cookies and the tunes
Reaction score
In the "Fly on the Wall" CD that comes with "Let It Be--Naked" Ringo is mentioned for not wanting to do another tour--so that ended the discussion, they didn't go. Had they decided to tour the group might have stayed together longer.
Or conversely, it may have broken up the band sooner. There's no way to know one way or the other. I do know that touring is tough on everyone and tensions within bands arise.

Also, think of it this way, had they been touring, they probably would have had less studio work. That would be a bigger loss than the loss of hitting the road together.

JM2CW

Fever

Reaction score
For the Jeff Lynne it was his association with the film Xanadu.

Carry on...what are your choices for the worst career moves ever?

And now Xanadu is a big play.Who would have guessed that?

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
Maybe not a great example but when Eddie kicked Diamond Dave out of VH, and then hired Sammy to replace him they were never the same. The fact that Eddie finally brought Dave back once, which didn't work out and then again speaks volumes about the politics that led to the split.

Van Halen will always be greater than Van Hagar in my books.

Odysseus

Kustom Kartilage
Reaction score
Vocalist Terry Reid turning down Jimmy Page and Peter Grant's offer to join Page's new musical venture. In all fairness, Terry did just sign a contract as a solo artist and had moderate success (Bang, Bang You're Terry Reid is a cracking good album among others) but still. Of course he was kind enough to recommend Robert Plant, who in turn steered Page to the peerless John Bonham and the rest, as they say, is history. :heheh:

The DaCapo/Forever Changes era Love. Arthur Lee, being of twisted mind and questionable reasons of his own doing, refusing to tour the band. He continued on with various Love configurations (some of it quite good) but missed a huge opportunity. It has also been said by more than a few musicians and company people, that The Doors were promoted more than Love, being that they were on the same label, Elektra records.

Gene Clark of The Byrds. Listening to people who just wanted to exploit him, he went solo. A brilliant songwriter and vocalist, he never recaptured success after his brief stint with the Byrds. Roger McGuinn has also said that Gene was literally terrified of flying so that played into his decision as well.

Elton John firing his original classic 70's band. I've read several times that he was listening to some bad advice and he has since regretted it but Elton has never quite reached the quality of music (I feel) of his those first six years of his career.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
allmylife11

Members online