Lou Adler Detailed Interview Signing The Mamas & The Papas

In My Dream World

Reaction score
I saw an interview on TV some time ago about Lou Adler signing the Mamas & the Papas. It was quite detailed. I have looked all over the Internet for this, but can't find it.

I remember he said that John Phillips showed up one day to talk about signing with his label. He implied that he needed a bath, but he scheduled an audition anyway for the next Sunday (I think). On the scheduled day, he was tempted to cancel since it was a beautiful day, and he was dubious that this guy had much musical talent. But, he had been through a very dry patch recently and had not found anyone worth signing, plus you never know where or when the next big act would appear.

So, he keeps the audition appointment and the first song they play, he is absolutely certain is a hit. He puts on his best poker face because he does not want them to see how excited he is about them. Song number two turns into hit number two - in his opinion. Ditto for song number three. So, now he explains to the audience that he would be willing to offer them a $100,000 signing bonus. He thinks he can take a mortgage out on his house to obtain the money. When it comes down to the business of signing them, he asks what they are looking for. Phillips says that they need a 3-bedroom apartment, a used VW bug to get around town, and something like $1,200 - $1,500 in spending money. He arranged for the contracts and everything else to be ready by the next day.

That is what I remember from the interview, but I saw it many years ago. Does anyone know the name of the program or documentary this came from? It may have been on Reelz, but nothing showed up on their website after doing a search for Lou Adler and another one for the Mamas and the Papas.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bringzip

Members online