Rock's Most Overrated Songs

TheSound

An Englishman in New York
Reaction score
Dunno...not so much offended maybe, but there was a feeling with a couple of people that it could be potentially inflamatory and provocative to have a thread basically just to troll and diss anything you don't like, which amounts to almost the same thing.

R. Evans

Left Of Center
Reaction score
Dunno...not so much offended maybe, but there was a feeling with a couple of people that it could be potentially inflamatory and provocative to have a thread basically just to troll and diss anything you don't like, which amounts to almost the same thing.

My suggestion to them would be to get thicker skin.:D

You took my slagging of the Doors in good spirit and I would take it in the same way if you slammed Van Morrison or Blue Oyster Cult. Thin Lizzy of course is off limits. Same with the Boss. Slam those two, and we're throwing down!:D (joking of course) Although I will admit that The Boys Are Back In Town is overrated/overplayed. That's is though, criticsism of Thin Lizzy stops there.:tongue:

JerseyGirl

Reaction score
My suggestion to them would be to get thicker skin.:D

You took my slagging of the Doors in good spirit and I would take it in the same way if you slammed Van Morrison or Blue Oyster Cult. Thin Lizzy of course is off limits. Same with the Boss. Slam those two, and we're throwing down!:D (joking of course) Although I will admit that The Boys Are Back In Town is overrated/overplayed.

:heheh:

I don't get mad if people don't like Bruce. I pity them. :D

TheSound

An Englishman in New York
Reaction score

Bocephus

Reaction score
Led Zeppelin - Whole lotta love (i love the iconic riff and Plants howling vocals, but, like a lot of other Led Zeppelin songs it kinda go's on a bit too long, almost like they can't think of any other parts for the song so they just play the same bit over and over again for 5 minutes).

I do like Led Zeppelin, but, i can also see why a number of people find their music impenetrable.

R. Evans

Left Of Center
Reaction score
Led Zeppelin - Whole lotta love (i love the iconic riff and Plants howling vocals, but, like a lot of other Led Zeppelin songs it kinda go's on a bit too long, almost like they can't think of any other parts for the song so they just play the same bit over and over again for 5 minutes).

I do like Led Zeppelin, but, i can also see why a number of people find their music impenetrable.

And you gotta wonder whether or not they actually wrote it.:heheh:

stepcousin

stuck in the 70's
Reaction score
wow, I like almost every song in this thread so far. This is brutal.

well, I might as well add to the pot:

anything by The Clash.

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score

The middle section of that song annoyed the hell out of me.

Walk of Life by Dire Straits is over played to epic proportions. I hate that song a lot now.

Jonny Come Lately

The New Kid In Town
Reaction score
I'll put my neck on the line by bringing up a few songs that IMO are overrated:

Everybody Hurts by R.E.M. - Although I commend the band for making a song discouraging suicide, for me this is too weepy to be enjoyable and too generic for the emotion to carry any real conviction. I think I would listen to this song if I was feeling very depressed, but otherwise it leaves me cold and unmoved, I'm afraid.

Bohemian Rhapsody by Queen - I can see why this song is so popular, but when it comes to lyrical deluges, give me 'It's Alright Ma, I'm Only Bleeding' every time over this - this has a couple of decent lines but I don't find it to be the lyrical masterpiece it's often hailed as.

Wonderwall by Oasis - I'm far from an Oasis fan but I have to give some credit to a track like 'Don't Look Back In Anger' as the powerful musical hook is coupled to an incisive lyric, whereas here not only is the hook inferior, but it sounds strained to fit around a non-word. I can't help but think that the relative paucity of quality mainstream rock songs in the UK around the time it was released has led to this being overrated.

Another Brick In The Wall Part 2 by Pink Floyd - I'm a big fan of Pink Floyd, and I do like this song quite a bit (especially David Gilmour's guitar solo). However, I've seen this song placed in 'greatest song' lists above what I consider to be genuine Pink Floyd masterpieces - I'm not talking about the brilliant but admittedly rather inaccessible Echoes, but about songs like Time or Comfortably Numb - and this just doesn't reach that standard. Personally it wouldn't make my top five favourite songs from The Wall - I think that (along with the aforementioned Comfortably Numb), Mother, Hey You and Run Like Hell are all better songs, and the last of those incorporates disco influences more convincingly and effectively than ABITW does, while I also prefer In The Flesh and Goodbye Blue Sky to Another Brick.

Walk of Life by Dire Straits is over played to epic proportions. I hate that song a lot now.

I wouldn't disagree with you, I like Dire Straits a lot but consider Walk Of Life to be one of their worst songs - I used to like it but now find the repetitive synth part to be somewhat annoying, and this makes the song seem to drag on when I have no such issue with a number of significantly longer songs by them (Telegraph Road and Tunnel Of Love being the most obvious ones, but also tracks like It Never Rains, Skateaway and In The Gallery).

Fortunately in the UK the most played Straits song on radio is Sultans Of Swing, a classic which is representative of their best work and I'm still happy to hear it frequently.

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Members online