Rock's Most Overrated Songs

Lynch

Here for the cookies and the tunes
Reaction score
Led Zeppelin - Whole lotta love (i love the iconic riff and Plants howling vocals, but, like a lot of other Led Zeppelin songs it kinda go's on a bit too long, almost like they can't think of any other parts for the song so they just play the same bit over and over again for 5 minutes).

I do like Led Zeppelin, but, i can also see why a number of people find their music impenetrable.

I love the song, except for the ridiculous middle part with Plant and his masturbatory moans and groans. The intro riff is epic. It's not flashy, it's nothing unusually technical or difficult to play, but it is undeniably one of the most iconic intro riffs in the history of rock. The rest of the music is great other than that middle section.

Speaking of Zeppelin, I was in the car listening to the radio the other day and I think something from LZ4 was playing (mighta been Rock and Roll) and I said to myself (outloud, yes I talk to myself in the car) that 3/4 of Zeppelin was an epic band and the easily the weakest link in the band was Plant. I can't imagine any other person in that role, but I find that when I'm listening to Zeppelin tracks that I don't care that much for, the biggest reason is Plant's vocals. He doesn't annoy me in the same way that Geddy Lee's vocals do, but he's on the same path of vocal annoyance quite often in Zeppelin's catalog.

rocknrollpestcontroll

Jammin On The Drums
Reaction score
wow, I like almost every song in this thread so far. This is brutal.

well, I might as well add to the pot:

anything by The Clash.

i dissagree with this, i quite enjoy the clash and they're music style. imo much much better than similair bands like the ramones.
I'm going to be very blunt here but imo, alot of stuff from AC/DC, The Rolling Stones, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, and Bruce Springsteen are very overrated.

CREAM'd

Reaction score
Bohemian Rhapsody ~ Queen (lyrics are gibberish nonsense)
Imagine ~ John Lennon (one of the most boring songs of all time)
Stairway to Heaven ~ Led Zeppelin (I'm including the frontwards, the backwards, the 8 minute version and the dragged out 30 odd minute versions on the various boots that I have heard were Robert Plant just sings anything that comes to mind and it's usually pure tripe) I could list a dozen or so other songs that Led Zeppelin covered but Stairway would top the list. Although they are fantastic at taking a 5 minute song and dragging it out for half an hour or so for their live performances.
London Calling ~ The Clash (the entire album)
Bob Dylan ~ Blowing in the wind (it pains me when something comes on the TV about Bob Dylan and the song they mention is Blowing in the Wind, I'm sick of hearing! He did write other tunes!!!!
Sweet Child O' Mine ~ Guns N' Roses (Guns N' Roses seems to be everybody who listens to ''chart music'' and whatever's popular over here's favourite ''Rock'' band).
Wonderwall ~ Oasis

Johnny-Too-Good

Reaction score
In the last few posts 'Stairway to Heaven' and 'Whole Lotta Love' have been mentioned. Personally I disagree, but whatever your thoughts in general about those two tracks I would say this - listen to John Bonham's drums on both of them. It's not often you get excited by the drums on a track - but he is at his epic best on those two.

Aero

Reaction score
Smoke On The Water - Deep Purple

The song has weak vocals for what's supposed to be a 'classic rock song.' No wonder everyone knows the guitar riff; it's the only thing about the song worth remembering.

Johnny-Too-Good

Reaction score
Smoke On The Water - Deep Purple

The song has weak vocals for what's supposed to be a 'classic rock song.' No wonder everyone knows the guitar riff; it's the only thing about the song worth remembering.

Couldn't disagree more. That song tells a short story, which is actually the strength of it. Yes Blackmore came up with one of his all time riffs, but, for me, Gillan delivers an unforgettable vocal.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
Couldn't disagree more. That song tells a short story, which is actually the strength of it. Yes Blackmore came up with one of his all time riffs, but, for me, Gillan delivers an unforgettable vocal.

I concur JTG that song is one of the greatest hard rock anthems ever recorded, the fact it relays an actual event that happened to the band when they were recording Machine Head makes it even better.:tup:

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bringzip

Members online