Illegal Music Downloading

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
^^I see no difference between downloading an MP3 or tape recording an analog signal off of the old FM radio stations like we used to do in the 70's.

I have read and heard all the arguments about this topic, both pro and con. I do take exception to the statement that "Sure you do..." about whether or not some of us check out a complete album first then buy a CD. I have over a 100 CD's I have purchased after listening to the MP3 first, not just a sample off Amazon but the entire album in sequence the way it is supposed to sound.

Musicians will survive, perhaps their excessive lifestyles will be curtailed somewhat, especially the new arrivals(See the Southpark Napster Episode, it is the best take on the entire phenomenon.), but there is nothing wrong with working your ass off touring for your craft or just to earn a living. That's what I do myself, construction is way harder than playing music.

I am amazed that not many people have picked up on Trent Reznor, Pink Floyd, Radiohead, and Prince and how they circumnavigated the record companies altogether in one way or another and made a far greater profit selling way less albums than the standard "Al Capone" record industry contract.

Good and bad like everything else, I have no guilt whatsoever having paid numerous times for the same albums in new formats over the years, and the record companies Never complain about that.

Aktivator

aka Hightea
Reaction score
^^I see no difference between downloading an MP3 or tape recording an analog signal off of the old FM radio stations like we used to do in the 70's.

I have read and heard all the arguments about this topic, both pro and con. I do take exception to the statement that "Sure you do..." about whether or not some of us check out a complete album first then buy a CD. I have over a 100 CD's I have purchased after listening to the MP3 first, not just a sample off Amazon but the entire album in sequence the way it is supposed to sound.

Musicians will survive, perhaps their excessive lifestyles will be curtailed somewhat, especially the new arrivals(See the Southpark Napster Episode, it is the best take on the entire phenomenon.), but there is nothing wrong with working your ass off touring for your craft or just to earn a living. That's what I do myself, construction is way harder than playing music.

I am amazed that not many people have picked up on Trent Reznor, Pink Floyd, Radiohead, and Prince and how they circumnavigated the record companies altogether in one way or another and made a far greater profit selling way less albums than the standard "Al Capone" record industry contract.

Good and bad like everything else, I have no guilt whatsoever having paid numerous times for the same albums in new formats over the years, and the record companies Never complain about that.
great post!! and my feeling on the issue. Like I said I've spent thousands of $ on the record industry. I've spent more $ since 2000 then the prior 2 decades why? Because by being able to hear the albums and decide if I liked the band before I spent $ its made me spend money seeing the bands live and buying other either music or merch. In the 70's I was able to hear whole albums on the radio and tape songs easier than in the 80's and 90's when radio stations stopped playing the more obcure tracks. So in the 80's I got burned too many times buying an album because I liked one song only to find the rest of the album was awful. This lead to me stop buying in the late 80s and 90's I was sick of getting burned. Did the record industry pay me back? no they were happy to see me get ripped off and take my money.

In regards to the milky way comment. I tend to shop at places that let you try out new items as free samples. Once I like one I could be buying it for years to come so maybe the music industry should learn the same thing. :D

Aktivator

aka Hightea
Reaction score
^^ Okay then, how about the FBI?:D
why sould the FBI care or any band that I support. If I downloaded anything I don't like its gone, if I downloaded anything I like I bought their albums ever since the first download, saw them in concert(if they tour) and maybe bought other products? where is the problem unless its one of the downloads from a band I didn't like which I no longer own? What I was to keep getting ripped off like the 80's?

I do admit its getting better. You can stream alot of new albums now. Doing it currently with the decemberists album. I like it so I'll buy it tomorrow when I see them.

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
I've still never had this problem. I've been able to sample right off the internet (streaming content) and I never listened to more than a few minutes...I get a feel of what I'm gonna like.

I also trust the artists that I purchase and friend recommendations.

Maybe I've just been lucky...who knows..but whatever works.

Aktivator...you sound like someone who has been burned big time dude. I feel for you and you make some good points...BUT you did lose me at travel, concerts, food, alcohol, hotels ...to me these don't seem to be the record companies' problems but rather you supporting the band, venue and your own luxaries.

:grinthumb

Mr. Shadow

"Classic" Member
Reaction score

Because when we get right down to it, downloading songs without paying is stealing. Pure and simple. Hard Rock stated the case very well in a previous post. For over 35 pages people here have danced around the issue, some have been honest and said they download without paying, some have said they never download, me for instance, and some have said they download to see if they like or not and then go buy the CD or pay for the downloaded album. Even if you do the latter, it's really still stealing when you think hard about it. You can listen to samples of just about any album at Amazon and it's free and legal, to see if you like an album without stealing a song or songs.

Think of it this way, you don't go into a store, grab a Milky Way candy bar, leave the store, eat it to see if you like it, and if you do like it, go back and buy more Milky Ways. It's called shoplifting and it's a crime. Think of your downloading songs, and movies, the same way.

My two cents anyway.

I don't listen to candy bars.

the_spore

God Emperor
Reaction score

I don't think the FBI would get involved unless someone was illegally downloading music and then selling it for profit. Besides, when it comes to illegal downloads, I think the FBI are more focused on people who illegally download movies rather than music.

ComfortablyNumb

Unquestionable Presence
Reaction score

Because when we get right down to it, downloading songs without paying is stealing. Pure and simple. Hard Rock stated the case very well in a previous post. For over 35 pages people here have danced around the issue, some have been honest and said they download without paying, some have said they never download, me for instance, and some have said they download to see if they like or not and then go buy the CD or pay for the downloaded album. Even if you do the latter, it's really still stealing when you think hard about it. You can listen to samples of just about any album at Amazon and it's free and legal, to see if you like an album without stealing a song or songs.

Think of it this way, you don't go into a store, grab a Milky Way candy bar, leave the store, eat it to see if you like it, and if you do like it, go back and buy more Milky Ways. It's called shoplifting and it's a crime. Think of your downloading songs, and movies, the same way.

My two cents anyway.

Comparing it to stealing a candy bar is asinine.
Bands have other ways of making money besides albums. They have t-shirts, concerts, stickers, shoes, back packs, posters, sweat shirts, etc.

Where as stealing a candy bar is taking the only thing that turns a profit for that food company away for free.

It is cheap to make an album and you can make up for it with concerts and selling merch (exluding cd's) at the show or online.

No reason to support the middle man when they take most of the profit from the band anyway.

The whole concept of putting value on sounds that turn into music is idiotic.

I am a musician and am in two bands at the moment. I could really do not care if someone downloads my music for free. As long as it gets my music out there and people show up to the shows I am cool with it. Buy a shirt get the band out there even more.

Last edited:

Aktivator

aka Hightea
Reaction score
I've still never had this problem. I've been able to sample right off the internet (streaming content) and I never listened to more than a few minutes...I get a feel of what I'm gonna like.

I also trust the artists that I purchase and friend recommendations.

Maybe I've just been lucky...who knows..but whatever works.

Aktivator...you sound like someone who has been burned big time dude. I feel for you and you make some good points...BUT you did lose me at travel, concerts, food, alcohol, hotels ...to me these don't seem to be the record companies' problems but rather you supporting the band, venue and your own luxaries.

:grinthumb
that was my comment that its easier to stream instead of download now. I think bands are realizing this is a better alternative then offering nothing and people just downloading and never paying. At least now they may get more people buying it.

In regards to food and alcohol I'm talking about at the concert which I believe the band gets a piece of at least sometimes. Travel, hotel is just my expense which at least hewlps the economy. :D I could careless about the record company not getting any of that its the band I care about. I'm sick of paying the middleman too which is why I try to buy abouts now at the show or on the bands website hoping that yeilds the band a little more of the profit.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
^^12% is the average cut a band gets from the sale of an album AK,,,the label gets 88% and Ownership of the songs in perpetuity....and that is just ridiculous. I agree with you and would love to see more bands sell their own CD's and keep 100% of the money minus the expenses of recording etc...and they Own the rights to the music.

Hard Rock

Rock out !
Reaction score
Someone said recording a cd is cheap. Yeah, for a local po dunk band. Even if you buy the latest pro-tools recording gear thats linked to your pc...its not a producer in a box. Producers help with the writing, sound, ect ect. They have tricks. That's why they are payed the big $$$$.

I guess stealing music is fine for those who are ok with the state of commercial music nowadays.

Its not life or death for me. I had my fun. Tons of huge concerts , lots of good memories with that *full sounding* cassette or original mix,uncompressed high quality disc CD in my truck. For those that woke up late ? Sorry. And for the kids that are whining and complaining on youtube " why don't we have new bands like this ? " Go look in the mirror. Rock as we knew it is dead. The classic bands are retiring , and most of their music is on crappy mp3's.

I like Nickleback and Disturbed...but its a far cry from having ; Ozzy, Judas Priest, Scorpions, Van Halen, Metallica, AC/DC, Iron Maiden, Kiss, Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Alice in Chains, ect ect ALL touring or releasing music every year. There was always a good new realease or a big band playing in Portland. Not any more.

If i was a young band ? I would finance, write, record,promote my own music. Start your own small record company where you are the only artist. Get a good attorney that will hunt.Make it clear on your CD that you will sue the life out of any file sharing sites you find your music on. Hire a computer geek to scour all the file sharing sites...hell, you might make more money in settlements then on cd sales. If you get flack from music fans ? Say 'F you ! ' Its stupid when people like a band but they boycott them because they are against illegal downloading. Lame.

Some say the cats out of the bag and will never get put back in. Its a shame for younger rock fans.

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
notmrdurden

Staff online

Members online