Illegal Music Downloading

ComfortablyNumb

Unquestionable Presence
Reaction score
:oyea: He's a little menacing, huh? :heheh: When Billy disproves of something everyone takes notice! :lmao:

Hahah I don't think he is menacing haha. For some reason it brought back memories of the 1979 video which reminds me of the Pete & Pete Halloween episode which freaked me out as a kid so I had that freaked out feeling haha.

Also Hard Rock I could have just read it with misinterpreting you. If that was the case my bad.

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
Hahah I don't think he is menacing haha. For some reason it brought back memories of the 1979 video which reminds me of the Pete & Pete Halloween episode which freaked me out as a kid so I had that freaked out feeling haha.

Also Hard Rock I could have just read it with misinterpreting you. If that was the case my bad.

Awesome! Billy got you through your subconscious! :lmao:

Hard Rock

Rock out !
Reaction score
Sorry bout that. I am really passionate about this issue. Can you tell ? I was the odd man out from napsters day 1. Friends were like " oh, come on man ! These guys are already rich , who cares " I stood my ground and now we are seeing the results of all of it. I feel vindicated.

I have to say that i might have ripped one TV show. The one where Cartman starts a religious group and Kyle stan and kenny are stealing music online. I think Trey and Matt may regret that one for the rest of their lives. South Park anyone ?

ComfortablyNumb

Unquestionable Presence
Reaction score
Sorry bout that. I am really passionate about this issue. Can you tell ? I was the odd man out from napsters day 1. Friends were like " oh, come on man ! These guys are already rich , who cares " I stood my ground and now we are seeing the results of all of it. I feel vindicated.

I have to say that i might have ripped one TV show. The one where Cartman starts a religious group and Kyle stan and kenny are stealing music online. I think Trey and Matt may regret that one for the rest of their lives. South Park anyone ?

It's cool man.

I can say as a musician that is trying to make it a living that honestly yea it would be cool if people paid for an album that would be appreciated by me big time, but if they download my stuff for free hey all is good as well. Buy a shirt, come to a show, tell friends about the band, get them to buy a shirt, get them to go to a show etc.

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score

I dont see why they should regret it, I found that episode really funny.

R. Evans

Left Of Center
Reaction score
Comparing it to stealing a candy bar is asinine.
Bands have other ways of making money besides albums. They have t-shirts, concerts, stickers, shoes, back packs, posters, sweat shirts, etc.

Where as stealing a candy bar is taking the only thing that turns a profit for that food company away for free.

It is cheap to make an album and you can make up for it with concerts and selling merch (exluding cd's) at the show or online.

No reason to support the middle man when they take most of the profit from the band anyway.

The whole concept of putting value on sounds that turn into music is idiotic.

I am a musician and am in two bands at the moment. I could really do not care if someone downloads my music for free. As long as it gets my music out there and people show up to the shows I am cool with it. Buy a shirt get the band out there even more.

What's asinine about it? Bands sign contracts, be they fair or not, record companies record their music, put it on whatever format and try to market the band's product and sell it. Band makes money, companies make money and the consumer should be happy with the product the he or she bought. If they're not, too bad. Buyer beware! I've bought plenty of albums without hearing a thing from them and regretted it. But hey, that's on me, not the record companies. You used to go to record stores and listen to samples from various albums and in some places that's still the case. And as I stated before, you can hear samples from just about any album at Amazon and I'm sure there are others that offer the same.

Didn't like the candy bar analogy huh? How about a new car then? Sure you get to test drive it but do you get to take it home for a week, a month, a year to see if you like it? No! What about a new stereo? Hear it at the store but try taking it home without paying for it. Do not pass Go and proceed directly to Jail.

What's really asinine, your word not mine, is the fact that people who download music without paying for it are stealing. And they are thieves. The asinine part comes in when they won't admit it and come up with various excuses to justify their stealing.

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
^^12% is the average cut a band gets from the sale of an album AK,,,the label gets 88% and Ownership of the songs in perpetuity....and that is just ridiculous. I agree with you and would love to see more bands sell their own CD's and keep 100% of the money minus the expenses of recording etc...and they Own the rights to the music.

Have to agree with this.

ComfortablyNumb

Unquestionable Presence
Reaction score
What's asinine about it? Bands sign contracts, be they fair or not, record companies record their music, put it on whatever format and try to market the band's product and sell it. Band makes money, companies make money and the consumer should be happy with the product the he or she bought. If they're not, too bad. Buyer beware! I've bought plenty of albums without hearing a thing from them and regretted it. But hey, that's on me, not the record companies. You used to go to record stores and listen to samples from various albums and in some places that's still the case. And as I stated before, you can hear samples from just about any album at Amazon and I'm sure there are others that offer the same.

Didn't like the candy bar analogy huh? How about a new car then? Sure you get to test drive it but do you get to take it home for a week, a month, a year to see if you like it? No! What about a new stereo? Hear it at the store but try taking it home without paying for it. Do not pass Go and proceed directly to Jail.

What's really asinine, your word not mine, is the fact that people who download music without paying for it are stealing. And they are thieves. The asinine part comes in when they won't admit it and come up with various excuses to justify their stealing.

Again you used another anology that talks about physically taking an object that is the only way for a company to make money.

Dinosaurs in a modern age. I love watching them die out.

You can keep getting your panties in a bunch and crying over it while I download my music and support the bands I listen to the best way I can. Going to shows and buying their stuff at their shows.

Last edited:

Hard Rock

Rock out !
Reaction score
Again you used another anology that talks about physically taking an object that is the only way for a company to make money.

Dinosaurs in a modern age. I love watching them die out.

You can keep getting your panties in a bunch and crying over it while I download my music and support the bands I listen to the best way I can. Going to shows and buying their stuff at their shows.

Ok,Comfortably Numb. I wont be condescending...i will just be blunt but respectful.

I can end it right now.

SO, if it is just "information" as you said ,then when i listen to your music, if i like it, me and my band will just copy and record some of your same songs note for note. We will share the music for free yet we will sell t-shirts and merch at our shows under our own band name. Sound like a fair deal ?

We wont be making ANY money off of your songs because we aren't selling them. And you cant really get us for charging to perform them because clubs charge people to dance to downloaded music all the time.

Is that ok ? That should be totally fine by you because its the same exact thing.We are only sharing/borrowing Information.

SAME DEAL.

ComfortablyNumb

Unquestionable Presence
Reaction score
Ok,Comfortably Numb. I wont be condescending...i will just be blunt but respectful.

I can end it right now.

SO, if it is just "information" as you said ,then when i listen to your music, if i like it, me and my band will just copy and record some of your same songs note for note. We will share the music for free yet we will sell t-shirts and merch at our shows under our own band name. Sound like a fair deal ?

We wont be making ANY money off of your songs because we aren't selling them. And you cant really get us for charging to perform them because clubs charge people to dance to downloaded music all the time.

Is that ok ? That should be totally fine by you because its the same exact thing.We are only sharing/borrowing Information.

SAME DEAL.

No it is not the same deal.

Taking credit for a song that was not written by you is plagiarism. Not illegal, but highly frowned upon and it would make you look like an ass. All you would be at that point is a cover band.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shandi

Members online