Illegal Music Downloading

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
^^I can't speak for the kids of today, only from my own perspective.

The short sighted greed and avarice of the record companies has led them into this mess. They had No problem selling us vinyl, cassettes, CD's, Remastered CD's, Reremastered CD's, DVD's and now Blu Ray of the same albums over and over again. Where did all that money go? Billions and billions of dollars in profits.

I do sympathize with the new artists trying to make it big, but many of us work hard doing a lot shittier jobs than making music for a living.

I do hate i-tunes and what they have done to music, and as I have said in another thread if the record executives could go back in time they would never have gone digital, but stayed analog.

You cannot blame people for human nature, if they can get something for free, the majority will take it.

Like AK I have spent untold tens of thousands of dollars supporting the music industry over the years, and I have no guilt about picking up an OOP album or deleted recording that is only available on e-bay, and the artists don't get any money from a second hand sale of their music anyway.

ComfortablyNumb

Unquestionable Presence
Reaction score
Someone said recording a cd is cheap. Yeah, for a local po dunk band. Even if you buy the latest pro-tools recording gear thats linked to your pc...its not a producer in a box. Producers help with the writing, sound, ect ect. They have tricks. That's why they are payed the big $$$$.

I guess stealing music is fine for those who are ok with the state of commercial music nowadays.

Its not life or death for me. I had my fun. Tons of huge concerts , lots of good memories with that *full sounding* cassette or original mix,uncompressed high quality disc CD in my truck. For those that woke up late ? Sorry. And for the kids that are whining and complaining on youtube " why don't we have new bands like this ? " Go look in the mirror. Rock as we knew it is dead. The classic bands are retiring , and most of their music is on crappy mp3's.

I like Nickleback and Disturbed...but its a far cry from having ; Ozzy, Judas Priest, Scorpions, Van Halen, Metallica, AC/DC, Iron Maiden, Kiss, Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Alice in Chains, ect ect ALL touring or releasing music every year. There was always a good new realease or a big band playing in Portland. Not any more.

If i was a young band ? I would finance, write, record,promote my own music. Start your own small record company where you are the only artist. Get a good attorney that will hunt.Make it clear on your CD that you will sue the life out of any file sharing sites you find your music on. Hire a computer geek to scour all the file sharing sites...hell, you might make more money in settlements then on cd sales. If you get flack from music fans ? Say 'F you ! ' Its stupid when people like a band but they boycott them because they are against illegal downloading. Lame.

Some say the cats out of the bag and will never get put back in. Its a shame for younger rock fans.

My bassist works in a recording studio in NYC it is cheap to record.

Hard Rock

Rock out !
Reaction score
My bassist works in a recording studio in NYC it is cheap to record.

Cheep to RECORD. RECORD.Im not talking small cookies...moderate to large successful bands. Have any figures on on what it takes to spend 5-6 months in a professional studio with a professional producer ?

I do. You first. :D

Aktivator

aka Hightea
Reaction score
but its a far cry from having ; Ozzy, Judas Priest, Scorpions, Van Halen, Metallica, AC/DC, Iron Maiden, Kiss, Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Alice in Chains, ect ect ALL touring or releasing music every year. There was always a good new realease or a big band playing in Portland. Not any more.
the late 80's and early 90's? yikes that was the period I took off from going to concerts its a shame because everyone was blabbing about hard rock, metal and grunge no one told me about all the great stuff going on overseas and in other parts of america. That was another problem before downloading. I finally found out about that stuff in the late 90's and early 00's thru downloading and getting samples. I've been finding jems from that era ever since (ie: listening then buying).

Well I'm seeing close to 50 shows a year so new releases and bands playing aren't a problem in my world.

Hard Rock

Rock out !
Reaction score
the late 80's and early 90's? yikes that was the period I took off from going to concerts its a shame because everyone was blabbing about hard rock, metal and grunge no one told me about all the great stuff going on overseas and in other parts of america. That was another problem before downloading. I finally found out about that stuff in the late 90's and early 00's thru downloading and getting samples. I've been finding jems from that era ever since (ie: listening then buying).

Well I'm seeing close to 50 shows a year so new releases and bands playing aren't a problem in my world.

That's cool man. At least you found your niche. So, what bands were you listening to during that era ? And now ? Maybe i can have a listen to them on the tube....im sure they wont mind :D

I listened to other stuff as well. Guitar player so i listened to Allan Holdsworth or the jazz/fusion project Romantic warrior return to forever. Al dimiola , Chick Correa. Liked all the classic Hendrix, Zepp, ect.

Never dug really underground to show i had "cred". One interesting moment i had was, i was in a music store here in Eugene. The Record garden...it was 95' in the midst of the grunge/retro/slacker era. I was looking for Scorpions " live bites " a kid made a friendly jab at me " oh, those guys ? There still goin at it " then he mocks " rock you like a Hurricane! "....Ok,Ok, I showed him Scorpions Lonsome Crow 72' and Fly to the rainbow 74'. It was a hard sell...but i think the cd covers fit into his retro fashion sense i guess. Also the owner told him " its great stuff man. " Ran into him later....he bought all the 70's era stuff. Judas Preist has a real diverse 70's era too. So i think alot of those bands/artists had a more " tasteful " era.

My motto is...if its good, ill listen no matter how commercial. Even shows. A good rocker friend of mine tried to Drag me to some pop shows im too affraid to mention here :peek . I wont admit to anything but damn ! Great hooks and great shows ! I draw the line at rap though.

Im not saying you cant make good music on a budget. But you could grow old scouring MP3 files on file sharing sites looking for those " special " bands. Even back before downloading all this more " underground " stuff was more known and on tour...because if they had a niche audience they could make enough money on cd's to start a tour and keep recording. Now days ? They keep their dayjob , wright almost everything to a computer and never tour. Thats just not rock and roll to me.

Last edited:

ComfortablyNumb

Unquestionable Presence
Reaction score
Cheep to RECORD. RECORD.Im not talking small cookies...moderate to large successful bands. Have any figures on on what it takes to spend 5-6 months in a professional studio with a professional producer ?

I do. You first. :D

*Cheap (since you want to be condescending I'm going to be an ass. Yes I take the way you wrote that in a condescending tone.)

I am talking moderate to large bands as well. Where my friend works Andy Wallace mixed tracks for Helmet and Rage Against the Machine.

He said to record with a good producer in 5-6 months (which he said is a little long that most bands take an average of 3 months to record) is about $284,000. So if you are a big band like Rage Against The Machine or Metallica that is not alot.

So lets say you are a small band and you use Steve Albini for engineering at
$700 per day plus the studio. Now lets say you have about 10 - 12 songs. I'll just say it will take about 7 days. So it would cost about $9,500 to record.

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
O.K. guys, let's reign this back a little and not let things start to get personal. You've had a intelligent civilized debate thus far so let's keep it that way! :) O.K. back to your discussion! :cheers2

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
that was my comment that its easier to stream instead of download now. I think bands are realizing this is a better alternative then offering nothing and people just downloading and never paying. At least now they may get more people buying it.

:grinthumb :cheers2

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyalDonah

Members online

No members online now.