• 2. Horrible

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 1. Awful

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

joe

Reaction score
61kzAVDjfdL.jpg

How would you rate Meatloaf's 'Bat Out Of Hell' on a scale of 10?

joe

Reaction score
3. Shit: Over produced, corny, bombastic, overexerting and drudgery. Just to mention a few.

Lynch

Here for the cookies and the tunes
Reaction score
Average-at-best. I don't like it, nor do I hate it. But there's nothing special about anything here. I firmly believe that Jim Steinman and Todd Rundgren are both vastly overrated for their work in and around this album. Meat Loaf (the singer, not the band) is ok and a bit entertaining at times, but also overrated. I do like two songs on this album, the rest are very "meh".

The fact that this album has sold 43 million copies world wide shows just how much the public likes Joe Average work. I equate the success of this album on part with Will Ferrell movies grossing 2.4 BILLION dollars over his career, or worse yet, that no talent ******* hack Beyonce ever selling ONE album, much less 100+ million albums (solo, not counting Destiny's Child).

*sigh*

I could easily rate this a 4, but I'm in a 'giving' mood at the moment so I'll give it a 5 (for now)

Trickster

Reaction score
Ahhh....Meatloaf, people either love him or hate him. Bat Out Of Hell was one of the biggest selling albums of the 70's. For some it was the ultimate over the top bombastic monster of an album, for others it was a prime example of overbearing pomp rock crap. Personally, I have always loved this album. Meatloaf had a unique and powerful voice and he was one hell of a stage performer. I played this thing to death when I owned it on vinyl and finally replaced my old record with this compact disc. The album boasts and all star cast with all of the songs written by Jim Steinman, and the album produced by Todd Rundgren. Several huge hit singles came from the disc including the title track, Two Out Of Three Ain't Bad, You Took The Words Right Out Of My Mouth and the classic teenage lust anthem Paradise By The Dashboard Light. All Revved Up With No Place To Go also received some airplay. The rest of the album is fleshed out with two bombastic power ballads Heaven Can Wait and the big finale For Crying Out Loud. I know people who absolutely hate this album and I can understand why, but it clicked with me right from the beginning and I have always enjoyed it. Yes it is almost Andrew Lloyed Webber-ish in its scope and every thing Meat does is over the top, but Bat remains a unique and powerful album that in my opinion deserves the big sales that it achieved.

10 for me!

joe

Reaction score
It's one of those albums that seem to be very polarizing. BTW, I did buy it when it was released but from what I remember it fell out the rotation fairly fast.

Old Dude

I do not suffer fools gladly.
Reaction score
I agree with those who said it was over-the-top, or bombastic, or corny, or over produced. They said the same things about Springsteen's Born to Run, which featured many of the same musicians. In the context of its time, it was a welcome departure from English and American White guys ripping off old Black bluesmen. Some folks just can't appreciate musicians working as an ensemble instead of a bunch of soloist competing with each other. I don't know that it "stands the test of time", as it was a product of the mid-70's. But I wore out the groove on my copy. A few of the songs were favorites of mine from the first time I heard them, but the more I listened to the entire album, the more the other songs grew on me. I even covered one of them as one of my first YouTube uploads. I recorded it after hearing an interview with Steinman where he said the song "Two Out of Three Ain't Bad" was written as a country song.

This is the interview I referred to:

BikerDude

Dude
Reaction score
I'm not a fan of musicals.
It always sounded like a musical production to me.
As in show tunes.

For people who like that I would imagine that and some stuff by Queen would be the greatest rock and roll ever.
Just not my thing.
But long live the loaf!
He did it like he meant it.
There something to that.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shannan518

Members online