Albums That Changed The Music World During The 60's,70's, 80's, 90's

Groovy Man

I'm Not Like Everybody Else
Reaction score
What albums do you think changed the Music world?

Please, try and keep it on the rock side of things...

And keep it 60's,70's, 80's, and 90's, thanks.

(Sorry, not 00's albums)

And please, no stuff like Eminem, Mariah Carrey or Spice Girls.

List a couple of albums, or any amount up to 10.

And if you wish, explain why and list the year of each album.

Also, don't be afraid to talk about an album, that someone else mentions, because I'm sure we'll be agreeing on a lot of great albums....or maybe not?

So, let's see what kind of lists we get...

Dave78

Dave's not here, man
Reaction score
60's - Are You Experienced - Jimi Hendrix

70's - Van Halen I - Van Halen

80's - Appetite For Destruction - Guns & Roses

90's - Nevermind - Nirvana

ishu161

Reaction score
60s - Are you experienced - Jimi Hendrix ; Led Zeppelin II (i would say Tommy by the Who has had much more influence; but i just don't like the who that much )

70s - Dark side of the moon - Pink Floyd ; Led Zeppelin IV

80s -Metallica - Master of Puppets ; the number of the beast - Iron Maiden

90s - Nevermind - Nirvana ( even though i prefer In Utero, Nevermind was obviously much more influential)

Dave78

Dave's not here, man
Reaction score
^^^ I believe Dark Side of the Moon holds the all-time record for number of continuous weeks on the charts.

gregjohnson1229

Reaction score
60's- Are You Experieced-Jimi Hendrix

With this album we were introduced to the revolutionary guitar god Jimi Hendix. Also Mitch Mitchell and Hendrix are as good as any drummer and guitarist duo in the history of music. Unforuntately Noel Redding was picked as the bassist mostly because of his hair. Anyways Are You Experienced changed guitar rock forever from that point on.

70's-Songs in The Key of Life-Stevie Wonder

This double album rivals all othe double albums IMO. Superior songwriting was displayed by Wonder on this album. The relevance that it has sustianed over24 years is what makes it that important. Also Stevies use of the synthesizer influenced they synth domminated 80's. I don't know if Groovy Man would consider this album to be rock, but if thats the case I can change it.

80's- Appetite Of Destruction

Guns N Roses helped transform rock bands from guys wearing more make up than girls to a non comparrison grittier sound. Appetite of Destructin IMO helped rock audiences respond as quickly as they did to the Grunge Movement. I have stated before that Appetite of Destruction rivals any debut album.

90's Self Titled-Rage Against The Machine

Rage Agisnt The Machine's self titled album was the precursor to almost 2 decades of nu metal. Whether you love nu metal, hate it, or somewhere in the middle RATM set the bar for the sound IMO even more so than Korn.

Flower

retired
Reaction score

60's ~ Bob Dylan ~ Bringing It All Back Home (1965)

album-bringing-it-all-back-home.jpg

The Velvet Underground & Nico (1967)

17g4gh.jpg

70's ~ The Ramones (1976)

Ramones+-+Ramones+(1976).jpg

Black Sabbath (1970)

album-Black-Sabbath-Black-Sabbath.jpg

Patti Smith ~ Horses (1975)

mainImage.jpg

gregjohnson1229

Reaction score
Tool-Undetow(1993)

Paved the way for the countless Tool influenced bands( Three Days Grace, Breaking Benjamin, Chevelle)

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
Tool-Undetow(1993)

Paved the way for the countless Tool influenced bands( Three Days Grace, Breaking Benjamin, Chevelle)

Nothing against Tool as they were a great band and did in fact influence many great newer bands but I don't connect them to the examples you gave especially Breaking Benjamin. There were groups like Evans Blue and Ten Years that definitely took a page out of Tools book but the bands you listened too IMO don't resemble JMK's vocals and attempt at having a mystique. They are more like bands that thrive on straight forward rock and the only connection seems to be that they are melodic rock. :grinthumb

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
V1nnipoof

Members online

No members online now.