Pixies+-+Surfer+rosa-1988.jpg

get-yer-ya-ya-s-out!-the-rolling-stones-in-concert.jpg

white-light_white-heat.jpg

TheFeldster

Mr Kite
Reaction score
Some revolutionary albums:

revolver.jpg

Really began, IMO, the sequence of events that resulted in the revolutionary music later in the decade. After all, this was supposed to have influenced the Beach Boys' Pet Sounds, which in turn influenced Sgt. Pepper.

cover_5331162272009.jpg

Riff-driven hard rock really owes alot to this particular album IMO. After all, which hard rocking band couldn't jump into "Iron Man" at the tip of a hat?

tumblr_kpb54tNpx11qzzd6io1_500.jpg

Influenced countless punk and heavy metal bands, and is a downright awesome album by it's own rights (despite the bad reviews it got at release)

B000003CM8.jpg

Early Southern Rock, very influential in it's genre.

gregjohnson1229

Reaction score
Nothing against Tool as they were a great band and did in fact influence many great newer bands but I don't connect them to the examples you gave especially Breaking Benjamin. There were groups like Evans Blue and Ten Years that definitely took a page out of Tools book but the bands you listened too IMO don't resemble JMK's vocals and attempt at having a mystique. They are more like bands that thrive on straight forward rock and the only connection seems to be that they are melodic rock. :grinthumb

listen to the Chevell song "Bend The Bracket," I defintely hear similariteis between Loeffeler's voice and JKM. They way Loeffeler uses the subtle tone amlsot close to a whisper, then explodes with the vocals during the chorus is right out of JKM's playbook. This is not only in Bend The Bracket but most chevelle songs. All of the bands that I mentioned follow the soft verse, loud chorus song structure. Also Breaking Benjamin have covered many Tool's songs where you definitely can hear the influence. Also in their song " So Cold" I hear JKM influence

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
listen to the Chevell song "Bend The Bracket," I definitely hear similarities between Loeffeler's voice and JKM. They way Loeffeler uses the subtle tone almost close to a whisper, then explodes with the vocals during the chorus is right out of JKM's playbook. This is not only in Bend The Bracket but most Chevelle songs. All of the bands that I mentioned follow the soft verse, loud chorus song structure. Also Breaking Benjamin have covered many Tool's songs where you definitely can hear the influence. Also in their song " So Cold" I hear JKM influence

O.K. Greg, but if you want to go with the soft verse, loud chorus structure that's not really exclusive to Tool IMO. If anything The Smashing Pumpkins were using it first and even they took cues from Sonic Youth. By the way, I was going to put The Smashing Pumpkins as my pick but I decided not to bother picking after Groovy took away my right to include The Spice Girls! :oyea:

gregjohnson1229

Reaction score
O.K. Greg, but if you want to go with the soft verse, loud chorus structure that's not really exclusive to Tool IMO. If anything The Smashing Pumpkins were using it first and even they took cues from Sonic Youth. By the way, I was going to put The Smashing Pumpkins as my pick but I decided not to bother picking after Groovy took away my right to include The Spice Girls! :oyea:

Agreeded. I it is not exclusive. I just hear a lot of JKM in a lot of people's voices. Billy Corgan's voice never really gets louder during his chorus, but JKM does and so does Loefeller, and the breaking benjamin frontman

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DarrelDeSa

Staff online

Members online