With what methods did/do you listen to music from 2000 to present?

With what methods did/do you listen to music from 2000 to present?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
While I am not a proponent of most of the compressed or Lossy downloads in general, there are a couple of points in their favor. If you are listening to your portable player with modest ear-buds, then Hi-Fidelity is not as important compared to playing it on a top level surround or stereo system.(And please Don't be sucked in by those Bose ads for their ridiculously expensive radio/CD player...that company sucks and so does most of their audio equipment.)

However...I have experimented with pretty much all of them now. and OGG VORBIS would be my codec of choice. If you convert your 1411 WAV to 500 OGG VORBIS, the results are very good, almost as good as a CD. You have to have that special "Ear" that some of the population does to detect the difference, plus the equipment has to be great too. But I don't think I have ever seen OGG VORBIS offered on any download site...official ones I mean.

Tattoo'd Lady

Scentless Apprentice
Reaction score
Philistine! You lose so much of the music with MP3s!

:wtf:

hey man, i see where you're coming from, but in my opinion not too much of the music is lost in the compressed files. while i agree, it doesn't sound as good as it can, but i still think it sounds pretty damn good. and id take convenience over quality any day.

Tattoo'd Lady

Scentless Apprentice
Reaction score
While I am not a proponent of most of the compressed or Lossy downloads in general, there are a couple of points in their favor. If you are listening to your portable player with modest ear-buds, then Hi-Fidelity is not as important compared to playing it on a top level surround or stereo system.(And please Don't be sucked in by those Bose ads for their ridiculously expensive radio/CD player...that company sucks and so does most of their audio equipment.)

However...I have experimented with pretty much all of them now. and OGG VORBIS would be my codec of choice. If you convert your 1411 WAV to 500 OGG VORBIS, the results are very good, almost as good as a CD. You have to have that special "Ear" that some of the population does to detect the difference, plus the equipment has to be great too. But I don't think I have ever seen OGG VORBIS offered on any download site...official ones I mean.

hmmm so what would you say is a good stereo system company? im not much familiar with stereos and audio equipment so i'd love to hear some opinions

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
^^You are right about the convenience TL, but Hep and myself among others have gone through the whole growth of the electronics industry, they have improved so much over the decades that for us to see it all go backwards placing convenience over quality hurts. We are losing all the best manufacturers now, sadly e-bay will be the best place to find good equipment before much longer. Best Buy and other mega stores are partly to blame as well.

Paradigm is one company that still makes good speakers for a fair price, you don't have to spend 1,000's either. Electronics...Onkyo, Yamaha, Harmon Kardon amplifiers/receivers are all good. There are so many good deals on e-bay I still skim the vintage section just for fun.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SusanStone

Members online