Rediscovering old songs you used to like

DJ Spanky

The Lunatic is in my Head
Reaction score
In the past year I've rediscovered 2 songs from long ago which I liked back then and still do. It was very much like running into an old friend who you haven't seen in decades. So my two are...

Back about a year ago I can across an old tape I made - it was from 1980 and I had made it off of a classmate's 45's when he came over. (As I recall, we also made a tape or 3 of my 45's for him.) When I looked at it, I was thinking to myself: "Why the hell do I have the William Tell Overture as the first song on the 'B' side?" Since I drive my dad's old Mercury Marquis which has a tape deck (yeah, that's old tech!), I listened to it on the way to work. Damn, it was played on guitar and it smoked. I think I may have started a thread about it on here, but it was by Glen Campbell and it was the B side on the Southern Nights 45.

The second one came about around 3-4 weeks ago. A lyric had popped into my head about a boat on a river. Couldn't shake that deja vu feeling that I knew this song, so finally did a little research and found out what it was. Back off of their 1979 album Cornerstone, Styx had a song called Boat On The River. It didn't chart in the US, but was a pretty big hit in several European nations. Considering they were into stadium rock back then, this was a pretty big derivation from their usual sound including a double bass, mandolin and accordian. Here it is:

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
magicmoments

Staff online

Members online