The Weapon Of Choice.

Sox

Avoiding The Swan Song
Reaction score
^^ A first for me DKW, but he sure can use that plank sounds like he's got an extra finger to go with that seventh string .. awesome.:cheers2

A couple of my all time favourites and classy exponents of holding back. Both used a 50's Gibson Les Paul as their main guitar at one stage.

Peter Green.

Tone quality, long vibrato, control, use of space in the solo. Two masters IMO.

Nololob

Long Live Wock 'n' Woll
Reaction score
Ian Paice and his Ludwig drum kit. Mostly used in late 60s/70s and early 80s.

ianblackoyster.jpg
Bilzen69_Deep_Purple3.jpg

Garrett

✯ Blues Man ✯
Reaction score

Robin Trower Signature Stratocaster

StreamImage.jpg

Fender® Custom Shop - When You're Ready

$2,975.00 @ Sam Ash Fender Robin Trower Stratocaster | Sam Ash Music 1-800-4-SAMASH

Robin20Trower_1401.jpg

Sox

Avoiding The Swan Song
Reaction score
^^ Ian Paice and Robin Trower two legends. :bow:

Steve Howe and the big Gibson ES-175, a bit jazzy ? .. maybe .. but a beautiful piece of kit none the less.

Here's his sound...

Brilliant.

Garrett

✯ Blues Man ✯
Reaction score

Höfner 500/1 Bass

_1.jpg

PAUL McCARTNEY.COM . HOME

davis_paul1_liv.jpg

Paul McCartney first saw the German-made Hofner bass, nicknamed the "violin bass" for its body shape, in the Steinway shop in Hamburg during the Beatles' pre-fame days in 1961. It is likely that he asked the shop to order a left-handed version from Hofner.

"I couldn't afford a Fender," McCartney recalled later.

"Fenders even then seemed to be around £100. All I could afford really was about £30. Always teetering on the edge of not having much - so I didn't really want to spend that much. So… I found this Hofner violin bass. And to me it seemed like, because I was left-handed, it looked less daft because it was symmetrical. So I got into that. That became my main bass."

The Hofner 500/1 bass became McCartney's signature instrument. Soon it was unofficially known as the Hofner Beatle Bass. McCartney usually played his Hofner with the Treble Switch off and the Bass switch on, according to the book "Beatles gear" by Andy Babiuk. He usually selected the Rhythm/Solo switch to Rhythm.

In 1963, McCartney acquired a second Hofner 500/1 bass. It is in many ways similar to his first, in fact the most noticeable visual difference is the placements of the the pickups and the style of the Hofner logo. In 1964, McCartney was also presented with a custom made violin base by Selmer, the British distributor of Hofner. This special version had gold-plated hardware.

McCartney used the violin bass for many performances and recordings with the Beatles and still uses it today.

Source: "Beatles Gear" by Andy Babiuk @ The Beatles Guitars

Hofner 500/1 Vintage '63 Violin $2,097.00 @ Guitar Center

Hofner H500/1-CT Contemporary Series Violin Bass $769.00 @ GC

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hannibal37

Members online