(The Lady's) Pink Floyd Homage

Sunny

Settled down at last and very happy.
Reaction score
Re: Pink Floyd (August 2010 Band of the Month)

I loved reading everything you have written about my beloved Pink Floyd Lady :grinthumb

I have read Syd's biography by Rob Chapman and was very pleased to read that the other band members ensured Syd received royalties from his work with Pink Floyd until his death. David Gilmour said "we made sure the money got to him alright". Syd left an estate of 3 million pounds to his 2 brothers and sister.

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score

Wow Lil'! I have to chime in as well with how good this is! Like you I don't always know the history or details about certain bands until it comes to making threads for them! I'm more about the music itself so these are educational. I honestly am too ADD to do all the research you guys do on these. I'm jealous! :heheh: Once again great job! :grinthumb

Cosmic Harmony

Reaction score

Phew....I finally got through it all. That took so long I made sure to leave a trail of breadcrumbs just in case. :heheh:

You did a fantastic job, dear. I loved reading this. :grinthumb

ladyislingering

retired
Reaction score

A little personal input (which I encourage from everyone who has fond memories attached to the mind-blowing music of Pink Floyd).

The first time I heard "Ummagumma" I was 16 years old. And dabbling with mind-blowing crazy substances that I don't deal into. I remember crawling in bed after everyone else in the house was long sleeping, and figured I may as well put some music on and try to relax. I was jittery, cold, and generally rather uncomfortable from my head being on another planet. I was certain Pink Floyd would do the trick, and back in those days I still used CDs (I can't stand them now, because of my vinyl love) so I flipped through everything I had newly acquired from a friend of my mother's.

Everything about the album was terrific. Melodic, hush, hypnotic, and absolutely otherworldly. Not only was my head on Mars, my body followed and my soul floated amongst the sound. Until there came a song I'd later learn was called "Careful With that Axe, Eugene". The first few minutes were a delight as the music that came before, until, out of nowhere, this blood-curdling scream sent me absolutely flying. I literally rolled out of bed, out of sheer surprise. I still cite it to be one of the greatest musical moments I've ever experienced.

I had just turned 18 when I started college. It was quite a long walk, since I didn't (and still don't) trust the taxi or the transit. About three miles. Every morning I'd walk up there to be in class by 8. This was when I discovered the magic of the "Echoes" compilation, and that (as well as Fleetwood Mac's "Rumours") became a staple of my walking experience. Just next to the college is a medium to vast stretch of grass and trees with a walkway. Every time I hear "See Emily Play" I think of traveling said walkway, and how the sound of the music echoed the sight of the area, which is one of the oldest areas of town (and was once inhabited by Native Americans). The song still fills me with a whimsical heart full of love whenever I hear it, just for the connection my mind makes between it and the feeling of being one with nature and the spirits that were undoubtedly dancing amongst me.

During that time I had also went out and bought my first Pink Floyd album on disc: "The Dark Side of the Moon". My parents thought I'd completely lost my mind because all I wanted to do was chill and listen to that album day in and day out. They thought I was on drugs! Later on in life I bought the album on vinyl (as well as "Wish You Were Here", "The Wall" and "Ummagumma") but actually, admittedly, hadn't played it until this evening.

I bought three of my Pink Floyd LPs while residing in Cincinnati with a now-ex. He was the one that actually got me hooked during that time, and, not surprisingly, the one I lost my innocence to - while "Echoes" was playing. The song fills me with nostalgia to this day. :D Also during that time, I gained my first taste of "The Wall". I was insanely stoned at the time, and the whole thing left me with eyeliner streaming down my cheeks. It was a completely overwhelming experience. Shortly before I moved to Minnesota, I was cruising down the interstate on a moonlit drive when "Comfortably Numb" came on the radio. I rolled the windows down and drove 10 under the speed limit. I don't think I've ever felt half as chill since.

I tried out Pink Floyd on my most recent ex, because though he's almost 30 years old, he'd never heard their music. I was appalled and introduced him to the album that started it all for me (stated above). Much to my dismay he was too much of a cretin to actually appreciate the wonder in the music. I was disgusted, and disappointed.

I'm sure there are many other situations in which their music was present, that I don't remember anymore. Also, in honour of Pink Floyd being the band of the month, and this being the only BOM thread I've written for the forum so far I'm also planning to write 1-2 album reviews during the course of this month.

Now that I've got all that out of my system, I encourage, right now, for anyone else reading to contribute their fond memories of Pink Floyd or some other kind of personal input. Do it for the love of music. :D

ladyislingering

retired
Reaction score

I loved reading everything you have written about my beloved Pink Floyd Lady :grinthumb

I have read Syd's biography by Rob Chapman and was very pleased to read that the other band members ensured Syd received royalties from his work with Pink Floyd until his death. David Gilmour said "we made sure the money got to him alright". Syd left an estate of 3 million pounds to his 2 brothers and sister.

I'm glad. I'm not a really huge fan so it was really tricky for me! I'm glad I was able to learn a lot of things I didn't know.

I love how the other members of Pink Floyd took care of Syd financially and otherwise while he was ill and reclusive. He had a beautiful soul (to be so mentally ill but competent enough to leave something generous to his siblings is a sign that somewhere inside there, a beautiful man lurked) but just happened to be very sick. By the way, I stumbled upon this about ten minutes ago, and thought it was positively darling:

syd-barrett-106.jpg

Wow Lil'! I have to chime in as well with how good this is! Like you I don't always know the history or details about certain bands until it comes to making threads for them! I'm more about the music itself so these are educational. I honestly am too ADD to do all the research you guys do on these. I'm jealous! :heheh: Once again great job! :grinthumb

Thank you! An unbelievable amount of research was necessary for this project and still I think it's rather minimal despite its length at first glance. Writing competently even if you feel like you're bullshitting or being a n00b takes practice, but it's not impossible.

Phew....I finally got through it all. That took so long I made sure to leave a trail of breadcrumbs just in case. :heheh:

You did a fantastic job, dear. I loved reading this. :grinthumb

Thanks sweetie! I knew you'd make it through.

Sunny

Settled down at last and very happy.
Reaction score

During that time I had also went out and bought my first Pink Floyd album on disc: "The Dark Side of the Moon". My parents thought I'd completely lost my mind because all I wanted to do was chill and listen to that album day in and day out. They thought I was on drugs! Later on in life I bought the album on vinyl (as well as "Wish You Were Here", "The Wall" and "Ummagumma") but actually, admittedly, hadn't played it until this evening.

My parents had all Pink Floyd's albums and played them often so I can't remember not listening to them. So I am a second generation Floyd fan :grinthumb

architect

Supine In The Sunshine
Reaction score

Wow! Just got finished reading through it all. You did a really good job! :grinthumb I think it's an excellent introduction to someone who dosen't know the background of this stunning band.

The Floyd have always been somewhat of an enigma with their refusal to put out singles, their shunning of the media, and their intentional lack of a definable image. In the beginning it was clear that they were not interested in leaping about the stage like Mick Jagger or preening like Robert Plant.

It's always been all about the music and the visual presentation of the stage show, not the individual band members.

To paraphrase Nick Mason, It is the sum of the parts that makes up the Floyd.

architect

Supine In The Sunshine
Reaction score

daman.jpg

I feel compelled to introduce one of my favorite pieces of music the band ever played. The Man and The Journey suite was played many times throughout 1969 and their live performance at Concertgebouw in the Netherlands was recorded by Hilversum 3 radio but was never officially released. Some bootlegs of this recording have been made.

I can't describe the show any better than Mark Blake does in his excellent book Pigs Might Fly:

In June 1969,[Roger] Waters desire for a spectacle peaked with "The Final Lunacy" at London's Royal Albert Hall. Whereas smaller haunts, such as North London's Fishmonger Arms were still mainstays on the Floyd gig sheet, the Albert Hall was roomy enough to accommodate their most grandiose ideas yet. For sometime now the band had been performing segments from The Massed Gadgets of Auximenes, a suite divided into two main sections known as "The Man" and "The Journey".

The piece would never be recorded in its entirety, but many of the individual parts would be reworked for the More, Ummagumma and Relics albums.

The Suite was premiered at the Royal Festival Hall in April 1969 and then expanded two months later for "The Final Lunacy". Taped sound effects, as well as the band's own performance were panned 270 degrees around the venue by their personalized sound gadget, the Azimuth Coordinator.

the Azimuth Coordinator
azimuth_coordinator.jpg

In a grand piece of performance art, a table was constructed on stage during the show, at which the crew sat and drank tea while listening to a transistor radio randomly tuned in and amplified through the speakers. Roger Waters would revive the same trick on later solo tours, playing cards with some of his band during a long instrumental passage.

Putting aside any misgivings he may have had about the album, producer Norman Smith was wheeled out on a mobile podium at the Albert Hall to conduct players from the Ealing Central Amateur Choir and Royal Philharmonic Orchestra during A Saucerful of Secrets. Richard Wright played the Albert hall's Church Style organ("fraught with difficulties, as there's a huge delay between pressing the keys and the noise coming out", recalled Waters), one of the band's crew roamed the stage in a gorilla suit, a pair of cannons were fired(Waters: "the same ones they used for 1812 Overture-****ing great") and a smoke bomb exploded, prompting a life long ban from the hall, something David Gilmour delightedly recalled when playing there again as a solo act in 2006.

THE MAN AND THE JOURNEY
THE MAN
a) Daybreak (band-version of Grantchester Meadows)
b) Work (early version of Biding My Time)
c) Afternoon (break, where tea was served for the band on stage)
d) Doing It (Up The Khyber)
e) Sleeping (Quicksilver)
f) Nightmare (Cymbaline)
g) Daybreak (Instrumental version of Grantchester Meadows)
THE JOURNEY
a) The Beginning (Green Is The Colour)
b) Beset The Creatures Of The Deep (Careful With That Axe, Eugene)
c) The Narrow Way (Band-version of The Narrow Way, part three)
d) The Pink Jungle (Pow R. Toc H.)
e) The Labyrinth Of Auximenes (mid-section from Interstellar Overdrive)
f) Behold The Temples Of Light (Instrumental)
g) The End Of The Beginning (Celestial Voices from A Saucerful Of Secrets)

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
allmylife11

Members online