Pink Floyd (Official Thread)

Johnny-Too-Good

Reaction score
Re possible future releases, from 'Ultimate Classic Rock' -

Every classic rock fan knows by now that just because a band member says the group is finished for good, that doesn’t mean more new music won’t surface at some point — and despite David Gilmour‘s recent pronouncement that ‘The Endless River‘ serves as Pink Floyd‘s swan song, the Floyd vaults may yet hold some surprises in store.

Drummer Nick Mason raised the possibility during an interview with Billboard, musing on the idea of continuing the series of deluxe “Immersion” reissues that has expanded portions of the group’s catalog, including the Floyd classics ‘Dark Side of the Moon,’ ‘Wish You Were Here’ and ‘The Wall.’ Naming 1977′s ‘Animals’ as a possible starting point, he hinted at what an expanded edition might include.

“I know both Roger [Waters] and David have at times mentioned they’d like to have a remix of ‘Animals,’ which technically is perhaps one of our less well-recorded records,” Mason offered. “I think we’d just probably clean up some of the tapes and just sort of review it and see whether it can be enhanced. And if one was doing that, one might have a look at whether there’s anything else to be done on it. But no one’s got that down on their work schedule at the moment.”

Eventually, Mason also sees some trips into Pink Floyd’s video vaults on the horizon, although he thinks getting the tapes into shape might take some work. “Our problem is we go back so far to the point where no one recorded things; maybe there’s some Super 8 stuff and a few early television appearances and things like that, which are fun. The biggest problem is when we were touring in the ’70s, we never filmed or recorded the show, which would have been really nice now to have a look at those original ‘Dark Side’ shows,” he admitted. “There’s a funny old mix of stuff, but I think there’s enough to do something really entertaining, eventually, when there’s time to work on it.”

Jonny Come Lately

The New Kid In Town
Reaction score
I had a listen to the iTunes previews of the tracks from The Endless River at the weekend, most of the songs were pleasant and atmospheric if not immediately engaging. I wasn't expecting that kind of album though so I'm pretty happy with it and I find more atmospheric music tends to take a couple of listens to really bed in with me anyway. The playing by Gilmour and of course Rick Wright is excellent. I think I'll be getting the album on CD at any rate.

One composition that surprised me a bit was Talkin' Hawkin', which I feared may simply have been a few minutes of Stephen Hawking's electronic voice but actually is pretty musically solid with some and I liked the use of his voice in it. The sole vocal track Louder Than Words is a pretty good song overall, definitely has a bit of the feel of The Division Bell era (in its subject matter, not just its sound).

One Floyd-related album I downloaded a couple of weeks ago was David Gilmour's self-titled album from 1978. Very glad I did so, I think it's an excellent album - my favourite so far is the terrific opening instrumental Mihalis - but it's solid throughout. Were it not for positive comments about this album I've read on here I might never have listened to it so that's great. :grinthumb

Sox

Avoiding The Swan Song
Reaction score
I have just given the album a quick listen. A guy on radio 2 gave it 2.5/5 saying they didn't push any new boundaries or do anything special. For me it's Floyd so why try to mend something that works and works well maybe it's just a last one for the fans. I like what I heard first run through anyway.

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I agree with critics who say they didn't push it enough, they should have a bit but its still a good album.

Johnny-Too-Good

Reaction score
Syd and Roger, apparently on a ferry from the UK to mainland Europe in 1967. The original is known to be extremely valuable.....as Roger is smiling :gig

2dba1pu.jpg

Lynch

Here for the cookies and the tunes
Reaction score
Listened to the album last week. Didn't do much for me. Some of it was ok, much of it was a bit of a yawner. Not "bad" per se, but certainly nothing memorable. I'll give a listen again and see if my thoughts change.

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Members online