Most overrated rock artists of all time?

overrated band?

• Pink Floyd

Votes: 3 5.7%
  • Blink 182

Votes: 13 24.5%
  • Rolling Stones

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • Rush

Votes: 4 7.5%
  • Tool

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • Led Zeppelin

Votes: 4 7.5%
  • U2

Votes: 16 30.2%
  • The Beatles

Votes: 5 9.4%
  • Oasis

Votes: 6 11.3%

• Total voters

Hepcat

retired
Reaction score
AC/DC
Guns N Roses

AC/DC -never liked a single song by them. Not my cup of tea.
Guns n Roses-another annoying singer I don't get the appeal of this band at all. Yeah Yeah Slash can play a mean guitar.

Those two bands are way high up on my list too for those very reasons.

:****:

Reaction score
I could be wrong, but personal thoughts aren't an issue... but personal attacks and going off on rants very well could be.

Just sayin'

exactly right:grinthumb:cheers:

and aktivator/hepcat,

I agree to an extent, I like Ac/DC a lot, but they do get blown out of proportion, a one trick pony, but they did that trick very well, and I like it and don't think it gets old....and Zeppelin same deal, they get blown out of proportion from just being an awesome band...

GNR just isn't my thing, I like a few songs, but eh... I'll just let them go

R. Evans

Left Of Center
Reaction score
Gonna kick a few sacred Classic Rock cows here. Sorry if anyone disagrees.

Doors-their music just never did anything for me. At all.

Eric Clapton-I like alot of his music but I've never heard anything that makes me equate him with God. You know the old "Clapton is God" grafitti.

Jimi Hendrix-I know this might make alot of people mad but my description of the Doors music fits here as well. I'm not saying I don't like some of his songs just that I never heard anything that made me say "I have to have that".

Black Sabbath-prior to the Dio years, I couldn't stand them. Although after some listening to their earlier stuff, they just might move off this list. Ozzy's voice has always been hit or miss to my ears.

Eagles-don't know why, used to love them but their music hasn't aged well. Have no reason for it, maybe it's because the local Classic Rock station plays Hotel California ad nauseum.

Bruce Springsteen-first off let me say that I have every Boss album released officially and am a huge fan. But not everything the man puts out is great. Ghost Of Tom Joad anyone?

Neil Young-see above without having all his albums, but I do have over 20 releases from him and there are some stinkers.

Sex Pistols-the Clash were far better. I actually agreed with John Tesh, off all people:bonk:, when he said "They were the Monkees of Punk."

Janis Joplin-had some decent songs but c'mon, does she deserve all the attention she has gotten over the years?

Like I said, some sacred cows. By no means am I attacking anyone who likes the above groups/artists, heck I even attacked two of my all-time favorites, but aren't all critically acclaimed rock bands overrated to some extent?

starman

Let The Children Lose It
Reaction score
exactly right:grinthumb:cheers:

and aktivator/hepcat,

I agree to an extent, I like Ac/DC a lot, but they do get blown out of proportion, a one trick pony, but they did that trick very well, and I like it and don't think it gets old....and Zeppelin same deal, they get blown out of proportion from just being an awesome band...

GNR just isn't my thing, I like a few songs, but eh... I'll just let them go

Personally, I never understood the whole GNR thing. Axle sounds like he is singing out of one nostril and the music is OK, but nothing too special.

...but all in all, isn't the whole over rated thing about those being popular when we (as in whoever) are thinking they don't deserve the popularity? We just can't understand what everyone "sees" in them or we believe we know something about them that undermines their perceived "greatness".

we just don't "get it"

Then I turn upon myself and think, "well, what about you, ya idiot?" All the bands that I like are not less qualified to be "rated exactly as they should be" than those I feel otherwise about. And maybe even all the bands that I think deserve a lot more praise than they receive eh?

Well I'm sorry! I just can't help it. Michael Jackson was a freak and if I had my way an angry mob would chase his ass into a windmill and set it on fire.

wait a minute here...haven't I heard that somewhere before? :bonk:

Tray73

இڿڰۣ-ڰۣ—
Reaction score
<sneaks in> ELP, Pink Floyd and Yes <sneaks out worrying about getting a thrashing & being thrown off the forum>

starman

Let The Children Lose It
Reaction score
<sneaks in> ELP, Pink Floyd and Yes <sneaks out worrying about getting a thrashing & being thrown off the forum>

What would be cool is to find out who you feel exactly should have been rated as equal to, or above those bands/artists that was not.

If you could go back an rewrite history, who would you substitute in place of those three and why?

Tray73

இڿڰۣ-ڰۣ—
Reaction score
I was just having a bit of a joke with Sox (my other half), as he loves ELP, Pink Floyd and Yes. They are certainly all accomplished musicians, although I think they can be a bit too serious and pompous at times. They just aren't my cup of tea, and whenever I have to listen to their stuff I'm just left a little uncomfortably numb :tongue:

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
I like all three of the bands Tray mentioned, but I agree they can be Pretentious at times, still that is what I love about Prog in general.

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Staff online