Midler Says Lady Gaga Ripped Off Her Mermaid Character

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
My issue with Gaga isn't so much her (even though her megalomania of late challenges Michael Jackson's, I can see her erecting a statue to herself by her next album) as much as its her fanbase. I was told point blank by a "monster" that I'm a traitor to the gay community because I'd rather pay attention to todays rock artists than follow her and that disliking her means I'm self-hating. Please, I don't care for her because I've outgrown bubblegum pop music (if I want to listen to modern pop, I'll go for Robyn or Scissor Sisters any day instead) and that the longer she's been out, the more obvious it is that she's a copycat of Bowie, Grace Jones, Madonna and about fifteen other 70's and 80's artists but the average fan she's targeting think she's original because they have no idea.

Sure... but there's also younger people that are classic music fans.

Many that know, love and are die hard fans of classics, and some who don't know them at all, or know some of them from hearing their names in passing.

It's not a crime, but it's true. :cheers2

ANF

Reaction score
Sure... but there's also younger people that are classic music fans.

Many that know, love and are die hard fans of classics, and some who don't know them at all, or know some of them from hearing their names in passing.

It's not a crime, but it's true. :cheers2

That is true, but you have no idea how many Gaga fans out there had never heard Madonna's "Express Yourself" when people pointed out how Gaga's "Born This Way" was practically a note by note cover of it (Weird Al's parody even highlights that), and that was a song/video that was saturated to death when it came out. One of the reasons I came here is because one board I generally go to has been overrun by tweens who refuse to listen to anything that predates Britney's emergence on the scene. I love new music too (I actually do a personal top 50 countdown every week that I listen to so I can stay in the now) but can't stand the blissful ignorance to something because "my mom was 15 when this was out". I was born in 1979 but yet have endless stuff that precedes my birth, but a lot of people don't.

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
I'm 1965 and have everything from Buddy Holly, Bill Hailey, Brenda Lee ect.

Lot's of cool stuff that predates mine and my friend's birthdates, but that's just how we rolled. :grinthumb

gcczep

Ever Onward...
Reaction score
Lady GaGa has since responded in a very classy and thoughful manner. I don't think Midler's comments were really bad given what I know about her demeanor. She's razzing Lady GaGa but I didn't take it to be mean spirited at all. Midler even downplayed the whole thing asking that they get together.

Slip'nn2Darkness

Sub Sonic Soul Shaker
Reaction score
I'm not a fan of Gaga, but I asked the same question in a different format.

I know off topic but I have to chime in on Grace Jones.. You might know her from the movie Conan the Barbarian.. She was the wild freaky eyed Nubian princess who rode with them for awhile ..
But I'm into Grace.. She's cool as hell.. A big R&B star during the 80's and was known for wearing some outragious costumes and being totally different..
6a00d834ff890853ef00e54f17dda28833-500wi.jpg

Grace-Jones-lookalike-+-2-x.jpg

Here's a song by her I like.. Remember.. she's a funknesta.. Gaga is playing in her back yard..

Astrid Kirchherr65

Classic 60's Chick
Reaction score
I think someone who seems to have built MOST of her career on 'others' gimmicks and props should be able to take the critical responses.

I have no problems with admiring and honoring your influences..but Gaga really hasn't had and original idea yet ? I don't care personaly but I dislike her fans defending her with the 'whats original' or 'it''s too hard to be original..everythings been done' ..

thats what ART is ? To create to develop
ARTISTS are supposed to find new ways to excite us ?

if you copied a writer/Artist = Plagiarism ?

It's true that she has a right to use these as a artist but quit saying it's too hard to be original..thats a cop out..

Any real artist makes a point to find that niche nobodies discovered..the beauty of art , is just that..showing us something amazing through their eyes and talent ...

Last edited:

Slip'nn2Darkness

Sub Sonic Soul Shaker
Reaction score
My thoughts on this is Gaga is really going through all kinds of costume themes.. It makes me wonder who her manager is because SOMEBODY is feeding her idea's and there might lie the problem.
She has really went way overboard with trying to come up with something bizar for each concert / appearance she does..
but she has it down as far as knowing bad publicity is also good publicity.
But I'm still thinking her management team has more to do with things going a-rye as far as copy catting..

Astrid Kirchherr65

Classic 60's Chick
Reaction score
My thoughts on this is Gaga is really going through all kinds of costume themes.. It makes me wonder who her manager is because SOMEBODY is feeding her idea's and there might lie the problem.
She has really went way overboard with trying to come up with something bizar for each concert / appearance she does..
but she has it down as far as knowing bad publicity is also good publicity.
But I'm still thinking her management team has more to do with things going a-rye as far as copy catting..

Good Point Slip..but in the end she has the ultimate say ?

I think people are being harsh on her in one respect..we're talking 'pop music' and thus pop music isn't supposed to be deep or meaningful..it's quick easy music. About fun and most people listening to it (said MOST HERE ) aren't demanding anything else from Gaga's music..so really they DON'T care what she saying/wearing..they only want entertainment ?

She giving them that..very well..she knows what sells and some of the people shes' copying did it too (Madonna !) She's brilliant at self promotion.

she a performer but an artist ? Thats something different imo..

I am just tired of the excuse that there.s no original music or ideas out there..BS ! There is..it's not going to be instant ..you gotta want and demand more from the musicians ..but what do you respect from a world who finds Jersey Shore and American Idol entertainment ? ...

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
It's pretty easy to come up with new ideas...come onstage looking like a giant Jellyfish, ride a tricycle with a pet monkey wearing a spacesuit...anything is possible.

:grinthumb

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bringzip

Staff online

Members online