Midler Says Lady Gaga Ripped Off Her Mermaid Character

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
Rolling Stone.Com LINK!

main.jpg

By Matthew Perpetua
July 18, 2011 9:50 AM ET Bette Midler's Delores Delago in 1978 (top) and Lady Gaga's Yuyi (below).Wendy Redfern/Redferns/Getty Images (Midler), The Sydney Morning Herald/Fairfax Media via Getty Images(Gaga) Lady Gaga has come under fire once again for her new wheelchair-bound mermaid alter ego Yuyi, this time from singer Bette Midler, who says the character is a direct rip-off of her own wheelchair-bound mermaid alter ego Delores Delago.

Wheelchairs in Pop: Gaga and Midler

In a tweet on Saturday, Midler wrote "Dear @ladygaga Ive been doing singing mermaid in a wheelchair since 1980-You can keep the meat dress and the firecracker tits-mermaid's mine." Actually, Midler has been performing as Delago since her 1978 world tour.

Photos: Lady Gaga's Best Looks

Gaga has not responded to Midler's tweet in public. Either way, the Divine Miss M has cooled off considerably and offered an olive branch to Mother Monster in a tweet yesterday. "@ladygaga, let's drink this over at the Emmys in September. Fabulous mermaids can coexist!"

annie

metal maniac
Reaction score
Oh come on Midler, since when does anyone have a copyright on costumes? Give it a rest.

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
Oh come on Midler, since when does anyone have a copyright on costumes? Give it a rest.

Kiss, Cooper, Bowie, Beatles Sgt. Peppers just about anybody I would think.

Actually on this one, I'm gonna kind of side with Midler. It's not just the costume, but it's the costume and the prop. The pictures say it all.

Anyway, just tossin' it out there.

I guess if GaGa had a Tiger suit in a wheelchair...I would think Midler would be nuts.

But whatever...IMO, Midler has more talent. :cheers2

ILoveJimmyPage

Reaction score
Seems to me that since Gaga became so famous all of these older artists are coming out of the woodwork claiming to be ripped off in an attempt to gain some sort of notoriety from her success. Sounds like what happened to a certain band I happen to like in the 70's that people still seem to love anyway. ;)

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
I think Midler has a fair gripe on this one.

Usually I find these things silly, but this is too close. Pay up GaGa.

It would be the same if she went onstage with Gene Simmon's trademark make up on. :confused:

ANF

Reaction score
The sad thing is that a lot of Gaga's fans are willing to cut anyone who dares be mean to their idol. Grace Jones dared say that Gaga was wearing things Grace would've worn 30 years ago and many fans were all "who is this old hag?" etc... because they're young enough to not know all that Gaga has ::ahem:: "borrowed" from Grace, Bette, Bowie, Madonna and others.

Nololob

Long Live Wock 'n' Woll
Reaction score
The sad thing is that a lot of Gaga's fans are willing to cut anyone who dares be mean to their idol. Grace Jones dared say that Gaga was wearing things Grace would've worn 30 years ago and many fans were all "who is this old hag?" etc... because they're young enough to not know all that Gaga has ::ahem:: "borrowed" from Grace, Bette, Bowie, Madonna and others.

I'm not a fan of Gaga, but I asked the same question in a different format.

ILoveJimmyPage

Reaction score
I like Gaga and I won't cut anyone down. I'm just not understanding all of the recent attacks on her and all of the mentions outside of her thread in the Everything Else forum she's getting. :confused:

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
I think this is a pretty decent piece of news, as well as interesting.

I don't think we should be on and on and on with hating GaGa, but I'm just speaking for myself.

I still have to say that I side with Midler on this. Not only costume and prop, but both had character names for this "character", with those being the only difference.

No one did this before or after Midler, except GaGa, so if this "character" is indeed trademarked by Midler she could probably do a cease and desist order. Not sure.

I don't think Midler is raggin' on her though. But that's just the way I see it.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Members online