Midler Says Lady Gaga Ripped Off Her Mermaid Character

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
By the way, I just watched a video of New York New York with Midler and a stageful of mermaids in wheelchairs flipping their tails and it was GROTESQUE!!! I don't admire Gaga for doing it either :pullhair:

This is probably why Ga Ga got egged in Australia........people there thought it was grotesque, too.

I am not here to defend whether the costume and prop were tasteful, but Bette's right to speak how she feels about Ga Ga's use of the costume and wheelchair. These artists don't come up with these ideas all by themselves, they have designers and stage managers, etc who help. I know she wasn't born before 1986, but I am sure she was well aware that Bette had a very long standing use of the mermaid persona. The problem comes in Ga Ga's team thinking the mermaid idea had been forgotten...........:flirt

annie

metal maniac
Reaction score
This is probably why Ga Ga got egged in Australia........people there thought it was grotesque, too.

I am not here to defend whether the costume and prop were tasteful, but Bette's right to speak how she feels about Ga Ga's use of the costume and wheelchair. These artists don't come up with these ideas all by themselves, they have designers and stage managers, etc who help. I know she wasn't born before 1986, but I am sure she was well aware that Bette had a very long standing use of the mermaid persona. The problem comes in Ga Ga's team thinking the mermaid idea had been forgotten...........:flirt

Sorry but I do not think that Gaga would lie about it.

METALPRIEST

Reaction score

This! :grinthumb

Maybe she didn't lie.....it's between her and her costume designer now. :grinthumb

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score

Everyone is capable of telling a lie...........

I think Ga Ga is on the defensive, and it is easy to reply "I didn't know" versus explaining how she got the idea and why she used the idea :grinthumb

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
Everyone is capable of telling a lie...........

I think Ga Ga is on the defensive, and it is easy to reply "I didn't know" versus explaining how she got the idea and why she used the idea :grinthumb

Yes...I would like to hear how SHE came up with the idea then, what inspired it and all that. :grinthumb

ANF

Reaction score
Even if we make the excuse that Gaga didn't "know" about Bette's thing... what's the excuse about Gaga stealing Madonna's Express Yourself and calling it Born This Way? Gaga has professed to be a huge Madonna fan for years and said she's one of her idols. I don't buy that Gaga was unfamiliar with one of Madonna's biggest hits and most famous music videos.

Prime

Daydreaming
Reaction score
Even if we make the excuse that Gaga didn't "know" about Bette's thing... what's the excuse about Gaga stealing Madonna's Express Yourself and calling it Born This Way? Gaga has professed to be a huge Madonna fan for years and said she's one of her idols. I don't buy that Gaga was unfamiliar with one of Madonna's biggest hits and most famous music videos.

As it's probably been said a million times, artists will pick up on what other artists have done and will make it their own. Lady Gaga didn't completely plagiarize Madonna's song, so it's not like she did anything wrong. So they sound the same, that's not even a big deal. I could name a million songs that sound alike.

I do understand why it's a big deal with the Madonna and Gaga thing, but Madonna should feel more honored to have somebody want to be like her than to not be like her. That's the way I would see it.

ANF

Reaction score
As it's probably been said a million times, artists will pick up on what other artists have done and will make it their own. Lady Gaga didn't completely plagiarize Madonna's song, so it's not like she did anything wrong. So they sound the same, that's not even a big deal. I could name a million songs that sound alike.

I do understand why it's a big deal with the Madonna and Gaga thing, but Madonna should feel more honored to have somebody want to be like her than to not be like her. That's the way I would see it.

Madonna seems to like Gaga, she's been spotted at concerts before and they did a SNL sketch together. Its more a fan thing.

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
allmylife11

Members online