British Blues Boom(Revival) History

Sox

Avoiding The Swan Song
Reaction score
Dave was her Brother Joe ,, She got poorly in the late 80's and died '90, she was repected by the likes of Johnny Winter and Bonnie Raitt. Also she worked with Tony McPhee in the sixties. Seeing how you mentioned her .. :grinthumb

joe

Reaction score
I was thinking of her and T.S. McPhee on the Devil and Me album Sox. Sad to hear of her death.

It's great reminiscing about the blues boom and the bands. I used to know the all players so well way back when. I used to try and get my hands on any literature back 25-30 years ago. Man, it was hard to find detailed stuff on any history of a particular rock era/movement/artist(s), etc.

Now days there is so much info available. I should keep my mouth shut as I'm making myself feel old here.:pullhair:

joe

Reaction score
I'm really wanting to read that british Blues Connections book you suggested Sox. I see it's available in paperback. I'm gonna make some inquiries at my local book store.

Sox

Avoiding The Swan Song
Reaction score
^^ It's a tidy read Joe cos Bob Brunning was gigging around that time so he experienced first hand the Boom and there's loads of info .. good stuff IMO. :)

joe

Reaction score
Ya, I was reading the reviews on the book Sox and it was mentioned. Nothing like getting the perspective from someone who was right in the fire.:bow:

joe

Reaction score
Thanx Sox:cheers2

Great chatting with ya. I'll post up another band later on.

joe

Reaction score
Tony McPhee was infuenced by the skittle of Alexis Korner and Cyril Davis from the early '60's and also the electric bluesmen of the US, most notably Johnny Lee Hooker and actually named his band after a Hooker song, "Ground Hog Blues."

Bob%20&%20Hooker.jpg

The Groundhogs first played with Hooker in 1964 when John Mayall's Bluesbreakers couldn't fulfill thier commitment. Hooker returned to the UK the following year and recorded an album with the Groundhogs titled, Hooker And The Hogs.

joleehowgrho.jpg

Sox

Avoiding The Swan Song
Reaction score
Great stuff Joe,,John Lee Hooker was a massive influence as you say and The Groundhogs gained plenty from the experience of working with him.

I think you can hear JLH's groove in many a Groundhog track.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Murphy_orrest

Members online