British Blues Boom(Revival) History

Sox

Avoiding The Swan Song
Reaction score
Quality Joe .. Some great bands emerged from the British Blues Boom and one of the pioneer bands was Blues Incorporated led by Alexis Korner and Cyril Davies .. Charlie Watts, Jack Bruce, Dick Heckstall-Smith, Ginger Baker, Graham Bond and a host of other passed through this outfit ..

A solid read from Bob Brunning ...

A fantastic insight into the bands that formed and played during the period.:grinthumb

joe

Reaction score
Alexis Korner was the founding farther of the British blues revivals along with and to a lesser extent Cyril Davis. They formed thier own club, the London Blues and Barrelhouse Club so blues musicians could play as blues weren't seen as a mainstream music back in the early '60's in London.

No question Sox, some of the greatest musicians of rock went through Blues Inc. Another one is Long John Baldry that migrated over here to Vancouver and was somewhat of a celebrity.

I'd love to read that book. I'll take a look at Amazon for the details. Thanx for the head up.:grinthumb

Sox

Avoiding The Swan Song
Reaction score
The musicians that kicked off with their first tentative steps in that early boom period later became the UK's most celebrated stars. Alexis Korner helped so many people on their way, he is a legend.
As you mentioned Long John Baldry Joe .. I thought I'd post a fave of mine that he did.:)

joe

Reaction score
Sox, I only have the one album from Baldry, It Ain't Easy and him and Maggie Bell from the Stone The Crows do an excellent duet on the In The Pines. I couldn't find a video. The title track from the album was hit.

Sox

Avoiding The Swan Song
Reaction score
^^^ Nice one Joe, a tidy vocal track and some neat guitar work. I will be looking this album up .. Cheers. Also Maggie Bell is a cracking singer IMO.

joe

Reaction score
Big fan of Stone The Crows. I know Maggie Bell won best female vocalist a few times in the UK back in the early/mid '70's.

Alexis Korner also influenced another great pioneer, John Mayall and then convinced him to play the blues full time. Again, a lot musicians passed through Mayall.

Here's Pete Frame's family tree of the early R&B scene from '62-'64. I can't imagine him doing a full family tree of Blues Inc. as it would be a huge endeavour.

ftrb.jpg

Sox

Avoiding The Swan Song
Reaction score
^^Exellent Joe, one of the names mentioned at the beginning was Davy Graham .. what a player he was.

A couple from Davy the first track "Anji" love the low end run and the string bends .. Paul Simon did a great cover of this too.

The second track "Cocaine" shows the folk blues influence.

Sox

Avoiding The Swan Song
Reaction score
A couple of eary John Mayall tracks before the guitar big guns joined...:)

I think the first guitar man was Bernie Watson who was then replaced by Roger Dean.

joe

Reaction score
Fantastic early '60's stuff there Sox. I know the name Davy Graham but never heard any of his material. The first track has a bit of jazz mixed in there as well. It's kinda of neat hearing the blues-folk fusion.

As for John Mayall, what can you say.:bow:

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Staff online