British Blues Boom(Revival) History

joe

Reaction score
^^^Never heard them before Sox. Great track. Love that Hammond. I did some research on the band and they only did three tunes. Too bad. I see drummer Twink(Ray Alder) was in the band as he also played with Steve's Howe's first band Tomorrow who only released one album and is a psychedelic classic IMO. Twink then went onto the Pretty Things and eventually to the Pink Fairies and did a couple solo albums as well. I can add to the family trees.:grinthumb

Sox

Avoiding The Swan Song
Reaction score
^^^A couple of their tracks featured on an old vinyl album I bought as a teenager called "White Boy Blues" I instantly liked the Jon Lord input .. It also had those Eric Clapton/Jimmy Page recordings from the sixties that seem to do the rounds on loads of cheap cd's.

joe

Reaction score
^^^There must be thousands of those Yardbirds/Jimmy Page/Eric Clapton/Jeff Beck compilations out there Sox.

Sox

Avoiding The Swan Song
Reaction score
Exactly ,,, this was one off of the album .. I think this is one of those tracks which could have been recorded by Jimmy then fell into the wrong hands and have since been a bit of a bugbear for Eric .. ???

Sox

Avoiding The Swan Song
Reaction score
We should mention Chris Barber as he was the guy that got some of the American blues artists to cross the pond and give the young Brits a taste of the authentic approach ..

The tour program from '58

joe

Reaction score
Sox, I don't think we can forgot this man, Paul Butterfield and the incarnation of his first band, The Paul Butterfield Blues Band with two great guitarists, Mike Bloomfield and Elvin Bishop.

paul+butterfield001.png

IMO, thier second album, East-West(1966) had a big influence on the 2nd. wave of the british blues revival bands, especially the title track where the blues were fused with psychedelia, jazz, and Indo-raga which also was ground breaking and opened the minds to other artists of the day to experiment with the fore mentioned genres.

Last edited:

Sox

Avoiding The Swan Song
Reaction score
^^ What an album Joe, Bloomfield and Bishop just fantastic. One of those albums that in it's day stirred up the hornets nest and got other like minded musicians buzzing.

Sox

Avoiding The Swan Song
Reaction score
Chris Farlowe what a voice ..

Up there with the best vocalists Britain had to offer at the time I reckon. :)

joe

Reaction score
I've read alot about Chris Farlowe over the years Sox but never had heard any of his tunes from the Thunderbirds or his solo stuff. No doubt, great deep raspy vocals ideal for the blues and soul. He did a fantastic job with Colesseum and then latter with Atomic Rooster however the band took a somewhat of a different style and sound from thier first three albums(s/t, Death Walks Behind You, In Hearing Of...) with Made In England and Nice and Greasy(IV) that for my ears aren't as well done with no fault of Farlowe IMO as he was the show for both of those albums.

Sox

Avoiding The Swan Song
Reaction score
The Thunderbirds had some incredible talent on board Joe .. Albert Lee guitar, Dave Greenslade organ and Carl Palmer drums. Imagine those names together just a few years on .. what a band.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nepowerdry1

Members online