Best Album of 1988

Reverend Rock

cool music and hot coffee
Reaction score
Woah! I thought Wilburys Vol. 1 and Rattle and Hum both '87 releases! But I checked out my CDs, and sure enough, they're '88...well, that turns out to be not nearly as dismal a year for albums as I'd thought.

So I pick Rattle And Hum as my favorite '88 album by a country mile, and Traveling Wilburys Vol. 1 as a distant-but-strong second.

Joey Self

A Voice Of Reason
Reaction score
Reverend Rock said:
Woah! I thought Wilburys Vol. 1 and Rattle and Hum both '87 releases! But I checked out my CDs, and sure enough, they're '88...well, that turns out to be not nearly as dismal a year for albums as I'd thought.

I have to look at the dates of release for a lot of albums post-1983, because I don't have a great frame of reference for the release as I do before then. I can mark many by the girlfriend at the time, where I was living, or other events that changed regularly. In 1983, I'd been married 2 years, we bought a house and my job was pretty much the same.

Those two sites I mentioned are great for jogging the memory. I'd thought both those two were '89 releases, where you thought '87. THE JOSHUA TREE took the world by storm in 1987--that much I DO remember--and I didn't think RATTLE AND HUM came out the next year. Likewise, CLOUD 9 was a 1987 release, and I thought two years passed before the Wilburys bowed in.

WRONG both times!

JcS

Big Generator

Reaction score
I can't think of a single album I like from 1988. It's funny how it all dried up so suddenly. 1980-87 was such a golden age. I blame Bon Jovi myself.

Big Generator

Reaction score
Or maybe it was because Journey broke up in 1987? Whatever the reason...'88 was a disaster for rock music. In the UK though we had Acid House and that more than made up for it.

Drummer Chris

Reaction score
Yes, 1988 was a big return for Dinasours from the 60's and 70's....one of the reasons I enjoyed Outrider so much was it's Rock Guitar oriented songs...at that point I had enough of the over-produced bands.
I think the Allmans even got back together around that time with Warren Haynes...it was a good return for roots rock again.

TeleCat

Blackmore's Advocate
Reaction score
Gotta agree with you DC. Jimmy Page - Outrider get my vote.

I really got into this album. Emerald Eyes is a great insturmental and with the line-up of musicians (Jimmy Page, Robert Plant, Jason Bonham, John Miles, Tony Franklin, Chris Farlow, Durban Laverde, Barrimore Barlow) it could've been titled "Jimmy Page and Friends"

Last edited:

Drummer Chris

Reaction score
TeleCat said:
Gotta agree with you DC. Jimmy Page - Outrider get my vote.

I really got into this album. Emerald Eyes is a great insturmental and with the line-up of musicians (Jimmy Page, Robert Plant, Jason Bonham, John Miles, Tony Franklin, Chris Farlow, Durban Laverde, Barrimore Barlow) it could've been titled "Jimmy Page and Friends"
Good to hear that someone else liked the album, Telecat. :D
This was the time I was starting to play guitar; I was already pretty good at piano and drums so I bought my first guitar which was a '73 Strat in Key West, Fla on vacation....I was a Page fan anyways, from the Zep albums so I started playing guitar in open tunings like E and G, (which is great for some Stones stuff) and obviously slide playing like "In My Time Of Dying"
I learned Page's cover of "Hummingbird" off this album eventually as well as some of the riffs from "Writes Of Winter" and "Wasting My Time"
Any Page fan should check out this only solo effort of Jimmy's....it's really good listening! :cheers:

snorkmaiden

Reaction score
I'd Have to go for one of my all time favourites: Suicidal Tendencies -"How Will I Laugh Tomorrow When I Can't Even Smile Today?"
Followed by: Jane's Addiction - "Nothing's Shocking"
Then: Metallica - "And Justice For All"

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rascal_212

Members online