Best Album of 1988

Martha Washington

eat it! it's GOOD for you
Reaction score
Leonard Cohen - I'm Your Man

10.jpg
first we take manhattan, then we take berlin

Lenny Baby is known to complain that songwriting is a very slow and painful process for him. Of course it is. Songs like this don't just pop into people's brains, they get dragged up by the roots. I think the album has dated in a mostly good way. The "world music" flavor deepens the slick 80's sound and actually complements these remarkable songs. He gets a little playful here and there, it suits him. Lonesome Lenny has come completely to terms with his "Mister Gloom" image and he actually does some neat things with it.

It might rank with my favorite singer/songwriter albums in the history of the world. It's real honest and puts the weight of the world on you when you listen. But it does so with a lot of craft and for only a few minutes at a time.

Last edited:

Aginghipster

Reaction score
I have been given the freedom to do as I see fit. It's high time I raze the walls that I've constructed

REM- Green

eccentric man

Reaction score
just like that chili peppers album from 89 i didn't hear this one until a few years later but it doesn't detract from its greatness.

jane's addiction - nothing's shocking

Attachments

• janes.jpg
    janes.jpg
    8 KB · Views: 137

Drummer Chris

Reaction score
Ok, I'm going out on a limb here, heh, heh
I'm going to vote for Jimmy Page Outrider.
Great album, really enjoyed it after the disappearance of the Firm,
Give it a listen, crank it up.. I especially liked "Wasting My Time" , "Writes Of Winter", and Prison Blues.
plus Jason Bonham drums on most of the songs which was a plus.

Joey Self

A Voice Of Reason
Reaction score
I went to www.alaskajim.com and www.acclaimedmusic.net to try to jog my memory of what came out that year. I finally came up with this:

Gold: TEMPLE OF LOW MEN by CROWDED HOUSE
Silver: TRAVELLING WILBURYS, VOLUME ONE
Bronze: RATTLE AND HUM by U2 (I always associated this album with 1989 for some reason).

JcS

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HoustonBoy

Members online