Alvin Lee

Sox

Avoiding The Swan Song
Reaction score
I am not sure if he has his own thread but I think Alvin deserves one if not ??

Born in 1944 Alvin (Graham Barnes) comes from Nottingham just a few miles down the slab from where I live. He started his career in music in 1960 with fellow Ten Years After member Leo Lyons. His early band was called The Jaybirds and they were popular on the Hamburg scene at The Star Club. They later changed the band name to just Jaybirds before settling with the Ten Years After monica. International recognition was just around the corner following a stellar performance at Woodstock. Alvin has gone on to perform and record with some of the industries elite including Scotty Moore and D.J. Fontana. I was lucky enough to see him with Nine Below Zero as his backing band and again with Edgar Winter. For me Alvin is up there with Rory Gallagher and Johnny Winter, a brilliant Blues/Rock guitar slinger. :cheers2

WIKI LINK

On the Road to Freedom (with Mylon LeFevre) (1973)
In Flight (1974)
Pump Iron! (1975)
Let It Rock (1978)
Rocket Fuel (1978)
Ride On (1979)
Free Fall (1980)
RX5 (1981)
Detroit Diesel (1986)
Zoom (1992)
Nineteen Ninety-Four (1994)
In Tennessee (2004)
Saguitar (2007)
Still on the Road to Freedom (2012)

The Bluest Blues

Rocket Fuel

rtbuck

Reaction score
Great guitarist! I've said it here before but for me he was the real MVP of the Woodstock Movie. I never heard of him & one day in the 70's I was watching the Woodstock Movie for the first time & his performance just blew me away.

I seen him open for Sabbath around '81 & he was amazing

Rock n Roll Music To The World.

joe

Reaction score
No question Sox, he's up there with best. Is any blues guitarist as fast and fleet as Alvin? I can't think of any. Ten Years After's first two albums are more the "traditional" blues and are great but thier psych/blues rock period from '69-'71 is thier pinnacle IMO. Ssssh, Stonedhenge, Cricklewood Green, Watt, and A Space In Time are all excellent.

Sox

Avoiding The Swan Song
Reaction score
I think the Woodstock performance was just brilliant rtbuck and the Sabbath gig you went to sounds like it was too. :grinthumb

Joe those Ten Years After records you mentioned are all excellent and yeah that has to be the peak in his career really. :cheers2

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
Woodstock was the first exposure to Alvin Lee for me as well, and I agree with Bucky Ten Years After were outstanding when they performed.

I have 4 or 5 of their albums, but nothing by Alvin Lee on his own. I did see some of his CD's in my travels, but didn't pick any of them up.

Groovy Man

I'm Not Like Everybody Else
Reaction score
I had the pleasure of seeing Alvin Lee and Johnny Winter on the same bill.

I almost died.
:heheh:

Talk about an overdose of Rock & Roll. :grinthumb

Two of the world's greatest guitarist ever, both performing long electrifying blistering sets!!

Alvin Lee can play it all - blues, rock, jazz, rockabilly. He's one of my all time favorite guitarists. I absolutely love Ten Years After and Alvin's solo career.

Today, he seems underrated and under appreciated by younger rock fans...which is sad.

Is any blues guitarist as fast and fleet as Alvin? I can't think of any.

I remember a famous Alvin quote ''I don't think I play fast - I play excited''

or something like that. :)

* Anyway, one of my favorite solo Alvin Lee albums is ''Alvin Lee & Ten Years Later: Ride On". An excellent album, one side studio, the other side - live in concert. This album is a joy to listen to...

8821024128a0d6fe6a5bd010.L.jpg
51eAqjPKhrL._SS400_.jpg

Here's ''Hey Joe'' live from ''Ride On''...

I seen him open for Sabbath around '81 & he was amazing

I think Sabbath could of opened for Alvin.

Alvin Lee is a rock legend. :grinthumb

:cheers2

Last edited:

rtbuck

Reaction score
^^^^ So Do I Groovy!! That must've been amazing seeing Winter & Lee together!
I seen Winter in '82...Man, Lee & Winter are both underated!

Sox

Avoiding The Swan Song
Reaction score
The Alvin Lee, Edgar Winter night was one to remember Sweat and also Tony Mcphee if memory serves .. tell you what I need to get more of Alvin's later gear.:)

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
allmylife11

Staff online

Members online