Your Favourite Rock Drummers of All Time?

Lynch

Here for the cookies and the tunes
Reaction score
Feld: Hahaha, that video is great. I think that drummer was probably so damn bored that he was simply entertaining himself. :heheh:

Doing some searching, this guy has a few vids on youtube. So, he's just doing his part to be entertaining. and probably having fun with it. Good for him.

Lynch

Reaction score
IT's cool, no matter who found it. :)

As for your thoughts on Ringo, personally I have to say I appreciate you saying that. I know how big of a Beatles fan you are, and SO many Beatles fans seem to rave about how great Ringo is. Now for a long time, I've said he was serviceable and basically was the guy in the right place at the right time. I can't compare him to anyone else simply because there wasn't any other drummer in the Beatles. But he certainly wasn't some incredible drummer. I know I've seen and heard other famous drummers talk about him doing some roll on this song, or whatever on that song, and yeah, he may have been influential to other drummers in the same way that Robert Johnson was an influence to Eric Clapton and Clapton was a major influence to Eddie Van Halen, etc etc. That doesn't mean that the latter plays the same way, it simply means they started playing or started first mimicing their idols.

I always find it silly that some drummers get put on a pedistal because of the band their are in, more so than what I (personally) see as a talent base.

I will say this though, MP made a good point in another thread at one point that what works for one guy very well might not work for another. Put Palmer behind a kit and tell him to play Abbey Road, he very well could struggle with a bunch of it, just like Ringo probably couldn't do a lot (if any) ELP stuff.

So anyway, bottom line is (and this is something I'm opening my mind up to lately) is that you can't argue with someone's favorite musician, songwriter, etc. People like what they like and you typically aren't going to be able to talk them down, regardless of how much you do or don't like someone.

The Beatles

retired
Reaction score
IT's cool, no matter who found it. :)

As for your thoughts on Ringo, personally I have to say I appreciate you saying that. I know how big of a Beatles fan you are, and SO many Beatles fans seem to rave about how great Ringo is. Now for a long time, I've said he was serviceable and basically was the guy in the right place at the right time. I can't compare him to anyone else simply because there wasn't any other drummer in the Beatles. But he certainly wasn't some incredible drummer. I know I've seen and heard other famous drummers talk about him doing some roll on this song, or whatever on that song, and yeah, he may have been influential to other drummers in the same way that Robert Johnson was an influence to Eric Clapton and Clapton was a major influence to Eddie Van Halen, etc etc. That doesn't mean that the latter plays the same way, it simply means they started playing or started first mimicing their idols.

I always find it silly that some drummers get put on a pedistal because of the band their are in, more so than what I (personally) see as a talent base.

I will say this though, MP made a good point in another thread at one point that what works for one guy very well might not work for another. Put Palmer behind a kit and tell him to play Abbey Road, he very well could struggle with a bunch of it, just like Ringo probably couldn't do a lot (if any) ELP stuff.

So anyway, bottom line is (and this is something I'm opening my mind up to lately) is that you can't argue with someone's favorite musician, songwriter, etc. People like what they like and you typically aren't going to be able to talk them down, regardless of how much you do or don't like someone.

Yeah, Im sure Ringo couldn't play this at all

considering the fills are slowed down and simplified versions of the intro to mean mr mustard
:oyea::oyea::oyea:

The Beatles

retired
Reaction score
fanboy missed the point, per usual when it comes to Ringo.

Well, if you keep saying the same thing over and over again, maybe it'll mean something!

And I got what you were saying, but i was showing you that ringo could easily play something by ELP.

And, no offense, but you're opinion doesnt matter to me much, considering you think KISS is the best band ever.

Lynch

Reaction score
Well, if you keep saying the same thing over and over again, maybe it'll mean something!
or maybe it just means that no one took the needle off of the broken record.

And I got what you were saying, but i was showing you that ringo could easily play something by ELP.
One song, maybe.

And, no offense, but you're opinion doesnt matter to me much
No offense taken, I couldnt' care less what you think of my opinion.

considering you think KISS is the best band ever.
wrong again. "Favorite band" doesn't equate into "best band". A lesson you could learn with Ringo. Favorite drummer does NOT mean "best drummer", regardless of how many times you repeat it.

The Beatles

retired
Reaction score
or maybe it just means that no one took the needle off of the broken record.

One song, maybe.

No offense taken, I couldnt' care less what you think of my opinion.

wrong again. "Favorite band" doesn't equate into "best band". A lesson you could learn with Ringo. Favorite drummer does NOT mean "best drummer", regardless of how many times you repeat it.

Well, if you would have actually read the conversation before, I said Ringo wouldn't be in my top 10 drummers either. But I can assure you he's a hell of a lot better than Carl Palmer.

Prime

Daydreaming
Reaction score
This Ringo debate is getting old now. I think we've milked it long enough, but that's just me. And I know...im a hypocrite.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hannibal37

Members online

No members online now.