Your Favourite Rock Drummers of All Time?

aeroplane

In Urgent Need of Advice
Reaction score
Instigating what, haha?

You said 'Im not saying Ringo's not great'

but then you go and say he's not great, but he's decent.

I also agreed that Ringo probably wouldn't crack my top 10, maybe you should read my posts?

Oh, and I think you're the one who's instigating :D

Could be wrong but I'd guess what Prime was more or less saying is that just because Ringo might be a "great" drummer, it doesn't mean that Prime has to "like" him as a performer one iota.

Maybe I'm wrong?

For me, it has always been difficult to evaluate how good individual musicians really are. At least technically or skills-wise.

My belief is that more often than not, an artist is seen as being only as "good" as the material they are playing. Point being, many people who evaluate someone's technical ability or musical chops seem to fall into the rut of basing their opinion of a guy on the genre/type of material that a band does.

For example, maybe Men At Work's drummer just might be the "best" drummer in the history of music, as a technical drummer, but how could someone ever find that out by listening to their albums?

Just rambling, maybe I have a point. Maybe I don't?

Hardnecker

Reaction score
The best drummer I ever saw was the drummer from Sesame Street. Who could match his energy and creative vision? I think his name is "Animal." Neil Peart lists him as an influence. He would embarrass any drummer listed in this thread. His chops are unmatched.

ILoveJimmyPage

Reaction score
The best drummer I ever saw was the drummer from Sesame Street. Who could match his energy and creative vision? I think his name is "Animal." Neil Peart lists him as an influence. He would embarrass any drummer listed in this thread. His chops are unmatched.

:oyea:

Good way to break the tension in here. :grinthumb

Prime

Daydreaming
Reaction score

Hell. Yes.

Q1dopDGvaWHyUSxO5Icj8z5IHWOX6hH7qmWDjDWRxDwIYSJlxn.jpg

TheSound

An Englishman in New York
Reaction score
TheBeatles guy - Hey I’ve nothing against Ringo personally, he’s probably a sweet guy, I just especially don’t rate him as a musician is all, doesn’t mean nobody else should rate him if they want to, it’s a simple question of personal preference. I already hinted at what for me distinguishes a great drummer – of which there are relatively few - from just a basic time-beater – of which there are thousands, and I don’t usually ever waste my time posting and repeating what I think if people didn’t get it the first time…but on this occasion I’ll make an exception, so basically, his ability to improvise and extemporize, experiment with interesting runs and tempos and creative and original pedal and hand techniques, but most of all to make himself, via his playing, an interesting subject of the listener’s attention within the music on an equal footing with, say, the guitar and keyboard players – and very few drummers I have heard have this ability, at least to my ears, Peart does, so did Carl Palmer and Bonham, there aren’t that many rock drummers who interest me at all, which is why my list was full of jazz drummers. I’m apologise if your post about somebody saying Ringo Starr was getting ignored because he ‘didn’t play fast enough’ wasn’t actually aimed at me, it was for sure posted directly below my own list of favourites in the thread, so in that case it may have been my bad to assume you were talking to me. But you can’t blame me for being confused, because, just so we’re clear, maybe then you can show me who in this thread it was – if it wasn’t me, which it obviously wasn’t!! - who said anything at all about Ringo “didn’t play fast enough”, because it presumably had to be directed at somebody, but as far as I can tell nobody here in this thread actually said it, or if they did, who and when? And btw I don’t need to calm down, believe me, me simply saying that I didn’t rate Ringo Starr – which is effectively all I did – barely even qualifies with me as anything to think about for more than about 10 seconds flat. I’m watching the Orioles vs Rangers game right now, so sports gets me worked up, and politics I guess, talking about music hardly registers at all.

aeroplane

In Urgent Need of Advice
Reaction score

Hell, it makes sense to me.

They don't call him "Animal" for nothing or just because its a clever name. :)

Aktivator

aka Hightea
Reaction score
to name a few that I've seen and loved

Bill Bruford
Carl Palmer
Phil Collins(Brand X, Genesis)
Chistian Vander(Magma)
Buddy Rich
Tony Williams
Max Roach
Terry Bozzio
Neil Peart
Steve Gadd
Jack DeJohnette
Keith Moon
Dave Weckl
Chad Wackerman
Gavin Harrison (getting there)

TheSound

An Englishman in New York
Reaction score
I actually should have put Phil Collins in there, some of the work he did with Brand X was pretty complex but impressive, plus stuff like Los Endos, The Brazilian, Duke's End and plenty of others with Genesis, great instrumentalist.

TheFeldster

Mr Kite
Reaction score
I'm with all the Animal references. You can't beat him :grinthumb

As for all the Ringo shitfest going on here...... there's no obligation for anyone to like Ringo Starr. Why should he be in there above other drummers? Because he was a Beatle?

Should we put Pete Best in there while we're at it?

Seriously, I consider the Beatles my favourite band, but there's no more requirement for Ringo to make anyone's list than there is an obligation for Charlie Watts, Keith Moon, John Bonham, Neil Pert or this guy:

It's all opinion. I get annoyed by Beatles fans who think it is their god-given right to shove everything Fab Four into everyone's throat. As I said, the Beatles are my favourite band, and I love talking about them, discussing them, whatever. But if someone says "Well, I don't actually like the Beatles, sorry", then I'm not going to push the issue. It's their choice.

Anyway, now moving on, my vote goes to the drummer in the video above :D

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tnfkdg

Members online