Your Favourite Rock Drummers of All Time?

The Beatles

retired
Reaction score
It shows how much talent and skill a drummer has when they can pull off a great drum solo, especially with how long some of them do it for, it's a mixture of strength and energy. You can't deny that.

Sure, I don't deny that. But on the same level, I'm not going to walk around saying that Herman Li or Buckethead is better at guitar than someone like David Gilmour or George Harrison, because they can solo faster than them, so why would I say that for a drummer? IMO, drum solos are even more obnoxious than guitar solos, and completely unnecessary.

Prime

Daydreaming
Reaction score
Sure, I don't deny that. But on the same level, I'm not going to walk around saying that Herman Li or Buckethead is better at guitar than someone like David Gilmour or George Harrison, because they can solo faster than them, so why would I say that for a drummer? IMO, drum solos are even more obnoxious than guitar solos, and completely unnecessary.

That's understandable. From what I am able to figure out, you like to hear just the pure guitar and drum talent instead of hearing them do the "obnoxious" guitar chords and drum beats or w/e they're called. Which definitely makes sense.

To say they are unnecessary however is something I will respectfully disagree with no matter how many times you say it.

Last edited:

ILoveJimmyPage

Reaction score
I have a feeling that if Ringo was known for drum solos, it'd be a different story. :rolleyes:

The Beatles

retired
Reaction score
I have a feeling that if Ringo was known for drum solos, it'd be a different story. :rolleyes:

And I think if John Bonham wasn't known for drum solos, it would be a different story, in your case.

But, no, I'd still say they were unnecessary. Guitar solos, while I dislike them for the most part (when Im in the mood to rock out- which is not 90 percent of the time- they're great) I still see them as fairly important, because the guitar is a lead instrument, after all.

There's a reason percussion is considered a rhythm instrument.

ILoveJimmyPage

Reaction score
And I think if John Bonham wasn't known for drum solos, it would be a different story, in your case.

But, no, I'd still say they were unnecessary. Guitar solos, while I dislike them for the most part (when Im in the mood to rock out- which is not 90 percent of the time- they're great) I still see them as fairly important, because the guitar is a lead instrument, after all.

There's a reason percussion is considered a rhythm instrument.

Actually, I hate Bonzo's drum solos. :grinthumb

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
^^Really Jen?

April Wine a Canadian band of some notoriety in these parts...:D....had a great drummer years ago, Jerry Mercer. He's huge and powerful and at almost every concert he would do a drum solo with his bare hands...the fans loved it.

I enjoy a drum solo myself, not when done to massive excess but during the course of a 3 hour concert when everyone else has had the spotlight, I think it's only fair that the drummer gets his chance to shine.

Besides, nine times out of ten the drummer is the toughest guy in the band...:D

ILoveJimmyPage

Reaction score
^^Really Jen?

April Wine a Canadian band of some notoriety in these parts...:D....had a great drummer years ago, Jerry Mercer. He's huge and powerful and at almost every concert he would do a drum solo with his bare hands...the fans loved it.

I enjoy a drum solo myself, not when done to massive excess but during the course of a 3 hour concert when everyone else has had the spotlight, I think it's only fair that the drummer gets his chance to shine.

Besides, nine times out of ten the drummer is the toughest guy in the band...:D

What about the bassist? They need their time in the spotlight too! :tongue:

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
^^Oh I agree totally, in fact one of my Pet Peeves is when a producer/engineer buries the bass guitar on an album.(Metallica anyone?)

I would give all of them a chance, like a Yes concert I saw decades ago, eveyone had 5+ minutes to solo by themselves....and it was great.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bringzip

Members online