Your Favourite Rock Drummers of All Time?

The Beatles

retired
Reaction score
Ignoring Ringo as a good drummer because he simply 'didn't play fast enough' is absurd.

joe

Reaction score
Bill Bruford
standbru.gif

TheSound

An Englishman in New York
Reaction score
Ignoring Ringo as a good drummer because he simply 'didn't play fast enough' is absurd.

I didn't ignore him anymore than I ignored 100's of other drummers. And claiming Ringo Starr as a great rock drummer is what would be absurd. Based on what exactly? He was just a time-beater, plain and simple, there's no single recording as far as I'm aware of any Beatles song that demonstrates any significant drumming technique that any guy in a band playing in most clubs and pubs tonight couldn't replicate. If there is, then let's hear it.

I can see this is going to be another of those threads where you ask for everybodies opinions on what they like and what our "favourites" are, but unless we fall down in reverence and worship over The bloomin' Beatles, you're going to argue about it.

Well it will never happen with me, so no, sorry, I'm certainly not putting Ringo Starr even in the same sentence as Neil Peart or Ginger Baker or John Bonham, it's not even a serious question. I never really liked the Beatles, period, so why would I like their drummer? To me they were like the Mersey Monkees, made a couple of great LP's I liked, but that was about it. I don't get how some people consider it to be like heresy or sacriledge to not like The Beatles and everything they stood for, most of their stuff I hated, and I'm not about to have them rammed down my throat by anyone. So it's not that I ignored Ringo Starr, it's more that he simply never registers in my thoughts as being a serious musician of any quality.

The Beatles

retired
Reaction score
I didn't ignore him anymore than I ignored 100's of other drummers. And claiming Ringo Starr as a great rock drummer is what would be absurd. Based on what exactly? He was just a time-beater, plain and simple, there's no single recording as far as I'm aware of any Beatles song that demonstrates any significant drumming technique that any guy in a band playing in most clubs and pubs tonight couldn't replicate. If there is, then let's hear it.

I can see this is going to be another of those threads where you ask for everybodies opinions on what they like and what our "favourites" are, but unless we fall down in reverence and worship over The bloomin' Beatles, you're going to argue about it.

Well it will never happen with me, so no, sorry, I'm certainly not putting Ringo Starr even in the same sentence as Neil Peart or Ginger Baker or John Bonham, it's not even a serious question. I never really liked the Beatles, period, so why would I like their drummer? To me they were like the Mersey Monkees, made a couple of great LP's I liked, but that was about it. I don't get how some people consider it to be like heresy or sacriledge to not like The Beatles and everything they stood for, most of their stuff I hated, and I'm not about to have them rammed down my throat by anyone. So it's not that I ignored Ringo Starr, it's more that he simply never registers in my thoughts as being a serious musician of any quality.

A) Calm the hell down.
B) I wasn't even talking about your post (notice no quotes in my post.)
C) Calm the hell down.
D) Maybe you should actually listen to some of The Beatles' records before you say Ringo had no skill (see: a day in the life, something, strawberry fields, the end, here comes the sun, she said she said, rain, etc)
E) Calm the HELL down.

Done with the listing now.

Oh, and here's a quote from Phil Collins. I guess he sucks too :p

"I think he (Starr) is vastly underrated. The drum fills on A Day In The Life are very complex things. You could take a great drummer today and say, 'I want it like that.' They wouldn't know what to do."- Phil Collins

You've also never really given any reason as to why you dislike Ringo. Perhaps you're just too unfamiliar with his work? Fair enough. As for being simply a time keeper, which is absurd, I see Ginger Baker on your list. From what we can deduce thusfar, from your list, that if a drummer can't play blindingly fast or solo great or play complex beats, they aren't great. This begs the question: why Ginger Baker? I consider him a great drummer, but why do you? He doesn't seem to fill any of the qualities that your other drummers do, and if I didn't know better, I would think you would consider him as a 'time keeper.'

So now that we've uncovered the logical fallacies within your own list of drummers, let's continue to address why you don't like Ringo. We've already checked off of our list 'complexity' and 'originality', which we have several quotes to back up, and I've got more if you request, ranging from George Harrison to Alex Van Halen.

I'm not asking him to put him on your greatest rock drummers list, which is made up of mostly jazz drummers anyway, but you seem to have such an intense hatred (ignorance?) of Ringo's ability that you felt to make an extremely long post as a rebutal to a post which wasn't even remotely directed at you.

So, explain why exactly you only consider Ringo a 'time keeper'.

Prime

Daydreaming
Reaction score

There are plenty of better drummers. Not saying Ringo wasn't great, but he's easily not the best. I probably wouldn't include him in my list if I were to make a list. I can think of 10 or 20 drummers that are better than Ringo. Easily.

The Beatles

retired
Reaction score
There are plenty of better drummers. Not saying Ringo wasn't great, but he's easily not the best. I probably wouldn't include him in my list if I were to make a list. I can think of 10 or 20 drummers that are better than Ringo. Easily.

Yeah, he'd probably not be in my top 10, but not saying he's good is absurd.

Prime

Daydreaming
Reaction score
Yeah, he'd probably not be in my top 10, but not saying he's good is absurd.

It's the beauty of opinion though. One person can think he's good, one person can think he's not. It's not absurd, it's opinion. I don't think he was great, but I don't think he's not good. I think he's decent.

The Beatles

retired
Reaction score
It's the beauty of opinion though. One person can think he's good, one person can think he's not. It's not absurd, it's opinion. I don't think he was great, but I don't think he's not good. I think he's decent.

hmm

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hannibal37

Members online